Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

How important is dialoque?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
debidkh

How important is dialoque?  Reply with quote  

I've been fiddling a little with some creativity in writing. I see that in the few pieces I've written, being short erotica stories, there hasn't been any dialogue other than a whispered "not yet" in one. My short stories I mean are 4 to 5 pages.

Do you need to fill space with dialogue for short creative writings? If so, clues on how little or how much would be great. Thanks very much.

Post Sun May 06, 2007 10:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

Boota might have some input here as he has also dabbled in the erotica writing.

Post Sun May 06, 2007 1:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lisa

But is "dialoque" itself not a beautiful word describing a very indivisible position in sex?

debid...you should do just fine.

Post Sun May 06, 2007 8:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Boota

Good dialogue is real dialogue. If it's real, it's perfectly appropriate, no matter the genre. Unfortunately, in most of the erotica I've read, the dialogue is horrible. It should sound like someone may have really said it at some point in history. For writing dialogue in a sex scene I would recommend having lots of sex, just to get a feel for the flow of conversation. If there is any... write it down.

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
debidkh

Boota wrote:
For writing dialogue in a sex scene I would recommend having lots of sex, just to get a feel for the flow of conversation. If there is any... write it down.

Marvelous! I will do just that!

Can it be with whomever I choose or does it have to be with the one already chose?

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Boota

That's not really important for purposes of dialogue, although you may get more realistic dialogue from someone you're familiar with. Smile

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Boota wrote:
Good dialogue is real dialogue. If it's real, it's perfectly appropriate, no matter the genre. Unfortunately, in most of the erotica I've read, the dialogue is horrible. It should sound like someone may have really said it at some point in history. For writing dialogue in a sex scene I would recommend having lots of sex, just to get a feel for the flow of conversation. If there is any... write it down.

Excellent recommendation!
Just make sure to wait until after the sex is over before you write down anything...

Of course, I guess you could tape yourself - or the neighbors- having sex.
Problem is, what's usually said sounds like comedy when taken out of context:

"A little harder- yeah, that's it..."
"Oh yeah, that's amazing!"
"Um, I think the bed just collapsed..."

Or maybe that's just me- not that I'm an expert on dialogue.
Until yesterday, hadn't written any fiction in 25 years & don't think I ever used dialogue before...

But as a voracious reader, I'll say this:
you can skip the dialogue if you have some really amusing narration...

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: