Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

Jared's parents' basement

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sacmlm

Jared's parents' basement  Reply with quote  

Hi, everyone!

Can someone explain to me why the UV lights in Foo's car and the growlights in Drew's house burn vampires like sunlight, but the blacklights in Jared's room don't incinerate Jody and Tommy?

Post Sun May 13, 2007 8:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Re: Jared's parents' basement  Reply with quote  

sacmlm wrote:
Hi, everyone!

Can someone explain to me why the UV lights in Foo's car and the growlights in Drew's house burn vampires like sunlight, but the blacklights in Jared's room don't incinerate Jody and Tommy?

I noticed that as well, and have come up with a theory. I could easily be wrong, but this is what I cam eup with:

Because it's funny to have Jody notice all the spots of body fluid in Jared's room, and due to publishing deadlines The AG either didn't notice it, or didn't want to take the time to change it. Either way, the book was hilarious enough to not have that little detail detract from my enjoyment of it.

But I understand that some people can be bothered by such things, so how about this:

Jared has cheap blacklights that are more of a novelty item than anything, and they put out an extremely low level of UV. I don't feel like searching the book for the right passage, but I beleive that Jared's room was described as being dark, so the level of UV output was probably too low to have much effect. Steve has very high powered UV lights in his car that put out a very high level of UV. The lights were bright enough that Steve and Abby wore sunglasses when they used it.

It's up to you if you wish to accept this explanation, because I just made it up.

Any way, welcome to the board.

Post Sun May 13, 2007 9:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Maybe Jared has the kind that screw into a regular light socket-
under those, some things that are black will turn red...

Post Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sacmlm

Thank you for the welcome, and thanks for the replies. I like all the explanations. I guess that everything at a temperature greater than 0 Kelvin is going to emit a small amount of UV, and vampires can tolerate up to a certain level without toasting.

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:16 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Maybe it's not the UV in the light that burns them, but the visible blue daylight frequency that is found in sunlight and growlamps, but not in black lights.

Just because UV burns us doesn't mean it burns vamps.

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goudron

If you send me samples of vampire skin, I can throw them in the accelerated weatherometer and see how long they take to char compared to a control Smile

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Goudron wrote:
If you send me samples of vampire skin, I can throw them in the accelerated weatherometer and see how long they take to char compared to a control Smile

Good idea. Vampire skin, anyone?

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joelibris

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Goudron wrote:

Good idea. Vampire skin, anyone?

I've posted a letter to Count Greenberg, vampire rabbi. He'll send you some vampireforeskin.

Post Sat May 19, 2007 4:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wonko

I bet he has a lot of that since it just keeps growing back every time he cuts it off.

Post Sat May 19, 2007 6:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joelibris

Yup. He's the busiest damnmohelon the east coast.

Post Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: