Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

MAJOR CHANGES TO SPAM HANDLING
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ken
Site Admin

MAJOR CHANGES TO SPAM HANDLING  Reply with quote  

So... due to the plethora of spam the last couple of days, somebody has obviously figured out how to get past the spam protection on this board.

I've taken some, well, sort of drastic action:

1) The system now requires you to wait 2 minutes between posts. If that's too obnoxious after using the board for a while, let me know and we can tweak that. Seems reasonable to me however. How fast can you read, after all? I know it's going to slow down the free-association fights a bit, and it'll be a pain when you change you mind about what you just posted.

2) The system now requires a moderator to approve new users. That's a bigger deal... no more jumping in when a new user gets excited about the board. But frankly, I'm getting about 10 spam registrations for every real one, and I'm tired of it. From now on, I'll manually check them in advance every day or two at least.

Let me know your thoughts.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
FattyFattyPorkFace

My thought is that maybe you should consider filtering usernames to lighten your load so that names with offensive content are blocked. Ok, so it's a little censorship, but not massive, and it would at least keep your inbox smaller.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 9:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MrEMann

good moves! phpbb is easy to circumvent the protections in for most spammers, unfortunately. Sad

We moderate the first 10 mosts at the one board that I am staff with. It allows us to delete the spam before it hits, then ban the usernames associated with it. (Today was a bad day, I deleted 10 posts when I got on tonight, I'm afraid to see how many the other mods deleted today) The system works very well with the 190K users we lord over.

Anything I can offer in the way of help, Ken, let me know.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 9:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
ken
Site Admin

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
My thought is that maybe you should consider filtering usernames to lighten your load so that names with offensive content are blocked. Ok, so it's a little censorship, but not massive, and it would at least keep your inbox smaller.

Doesn't really work... most of the names aren't offensive. Sometimes they even post a "normal" post and then hit us with 20 the following day.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
JennyO

Thanks, Ken.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Fri May 18, 2007 5:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ken
Site Admin

Re: MAJOR CHANGES TO SPAM HANDLING  Reply with quote  

ken wrote:

1) The system now requires you to wait 2 minutes between posts. If that's too obnoxious after using the board for a while, let me know and we can tweak that. Seems reasonable to me however. How fast can you read, after all? I know it's going to slow down the free-association fights a bit, and it'll be a pain when you change you mind about what you just posted.

OK... that was a pain. I dropped it to 1 minute.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 9:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
FattyFattyPorkFace

Is there a way we can have a security measure for our posts? Either entering letters from one of those pics, or, less obtrusively, including a keyword in our posts. Any posts that don't have it, don't make it onto the board?

Just a thought.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 9:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sean

Just require proof of purchase of a CM book before being permitted to join the board.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lynn

My thought was to have a mind reading device built into the board to tell if we are thinking about gross canned meat while posting . . . . ok, sorry, I'll go now and let the people who know what they're doing work it out. Embarassed

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillopy

Jeff,
Didn't you say before that another board charges a $1 or $2 to register? I think that's a good idea. Plus, all the money could go to MS research.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

or pie

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:28 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

I, like the others, am gratetful to Ken for his tireless work to rid the board of Spam. I'm just a little sad, beecause when the spam went away, it took the "A Fresh Start" game with it.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joelibris

I'd rather deal with the slight hassles than all that potted meat.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 4:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ginjg

Wonko wrote:
I, like the others, am gratetful to Ken for his tireless work to rid the board of Spam. I'm just a little sad, beecause when the spam went away, it took the "A Fresh Start" game with it.

So here's Another Fresh Start for you.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri May 18, 2007 4:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

Jillopy wrote:
Jeff,
Didn't you say before that another board charges a $1 or $2 to register? I think that's a good idea. Plus, all the money could go to MS research.

Yes. The Kevin Smith board does that and I think that's a great idea.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 5:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: