Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

But he's just a kid

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
LostInWalmart

But he's just a kid  Reply with quote  

My best friend's little brother is being deployed to Iraq in July. He was only two when I met his sister ages ago, and now he's a man, going to do the dangerous work. He's a leader, a Ranger, and a good soldier, but goddamn he's just a kid.

Godspeed Mike.

B

Post Mon May 21, 2007 4:37 am   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

Re: But he's just a kid  Reply with quote  

LostInWalmart wrote:
My best friend's little brother is being deployed to Iraq in July. He was only two when I met his sister ages ago, and now he's a man, going to do the dangerous work. He's a leader, a Ranger, and a good soldier, but goddamn he's just a kid.

Godspeed Mike.

B

It's heartbreaking, LIW. Godspeed, indeed, Mike.

Post Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 am   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

I am just speechless... (hard to imagine isn't it?)
I couldn't say anything before because it was so sad, but now my high school son is invited to a couple of graduation parties of older friends... and guess where they are going right after they graduate... basic training.
the guy John I know the best as I carpooled him says he has no choice as he has six sibs still at home, he is really really smart and wants to go to college .... oh, and his eldest brother died in Iraq two years ago....
What do you get someone for graduation who is going to basic training and then Iraq? Phone cards????

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

Godspeed!

Tragic. I wish him all the best.

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

It's a tragedy that he has no choice, NDY.

Those who choose to serve, even after all the clear reasons to the contrary, well, the best I can do is acquiesce to their decision. I do feel for their families though

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri May 25, 2007 9:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vgndoll

liw, you broke my heart. we just talked my brother-in-law out of joining the marines and his parents helped him enroll in a school nearby. he just turned 18 and i've known him since he was in kindergarten. we were all trying not to interfere so he could make his own decision, but 18 is so young. it seems any age is too young to fight in a war. i appreciate the people who do so, some of my beloved family has been back and forth and back and forth with each bush in office and i am proud of them, but terrified for them at the same time.

godspeed!

Post Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

Tito wrote:
[...]

I am grateful to anyone who chooses to serve in the military, whatever their reason for doing so.

As am I as I would hate seeing the return of the draft. However, to put one's life at risk over a "war" as senseless as this one is truly tragic, and very misguided.

We'll never stop the "gung-ho" boys from enlisting, but I think we should do everything we can to dissuade the others, at least until this current morass is behind us.

Post Sat May 26, 2007 2:59 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

Got an email update from Mike. His unit is going to be assigned convoy duty in Iraq and is practicing what he called "IED Alley" - Makes me pucker just thinking about it.

He's a good kid and I'm proud of him. He's doing what he wants to do, and hopefully his training will see him through. You don't get to pick your wars.

B

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: