Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

More US bullshit
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

More US bullshit  Reply with quote  

I am tired of this bullshit from Bush.

A few days ago...

US rejects G8 proposal on climate change
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6694227.stm

then today...

US tells G8 to agree
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6708995.stm

How about 'G8 tells US to go fuck themselves'?

Post Thu May 31, 2007 9:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LostInWalmart

don't lump us all together. I for one am in control of all my greenhouse gases. *pfft*

well, most of them.

Post Thu May 31, 2007 10:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

LostInWalmart wrote:
don't lump us all together. I for one am in control of all my greenhouse gases. *pfft*

well, most of them.

*sniff, sniff*

*faint*

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Thu May 31, 2007 12:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fortune cookie

Hey! Whats goin' o...*trips over Vahlee*
Ugh! LIW strikes again.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

This might sound strange and a bit far fetching but could global warming have something to do with a cycle of mini ice ages to warming periods that the earth goes through every few decades to thousand of years or so. I am not discounting that people have played a part in the destruction of the planet either because that is apparent.

Examples of this would be Washington crossing the Delaware and Napoleonís march through Europe to Russia. In both instances there were accounts of strange weather and cold periods when there should have been warm months or at least weather not as cold as it was. Another example is Greenland and how it was once populated by farming communities during a period of warming and then was forced to change fishing because of a mini ice age. In other words Greenland was once actually green and not white and icy like the river that Washington crossed or Europe when Napoleon marched.

Another factor is that the earth could be at the start of a new axis of rotation or a shifting of the poles. It is believed that where Alaska is now was somewhere near the equator when the landmasses began to form. As most people know there is an alignment of the planets coming up in 2012 which some people believe could throw off the rotation of the earth due to planetary pull which would cause the melting of the ice packs and possibly new ice to form at new poles.

Doomsday theorists think that this may cause catastrophic weather and natural disasters. As well the Mayan calendar ends when the planets align but that could just be coincidence. I donít discount the theory of global warming but there could also be some more natural causes for it but with people contributing to it also.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lisa

Global heating is very man induced. This year's heat wave at the equator has been quite spectacular.

The Earth's axis has already tipped two degrees after the tsunami in South East Asia in 2004. The tsunami itself was not natural.

If the planets are aligning in 2012 and the Earth were to die Man would make sure he kicked Jupiter out of it's orbit and way out into deep space if need be to keep going. We are too advanced in technology to keep an ice age or fire age coming naturally.

We control.

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

So if the tsunami you mention wasn't natural.
How did someone make it?

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
This might sound strange and a bit far fetching but could global warming have something to do with a cycle of mini ice ages to warming periods that the earth goes through every few decades to thousand of years or so. I am not discounting that people have played a part in the destruction of the planet either because that is apparent.

Examples of this would be Washington crossing the Delaware and Napoleonís march through Europe to Russia. In both instances there were accounts of strange weather and cold periods when there should have been warm months or at least weather not as cold as it was. Another example is Greenland and how it was once populated by farming communities during a period of warming and then was forced to change fishing because of a mini ice age. In other words Greenland was once actually green and not white and icy like the river that Washington crossed or Europe when Napoleon marched.

Another factor is that the earth could be at the start of a new axis of rotation or a shifting of the poles. It is believed that where Alaska is now was somewhere near the equator when the landmasses began to form. As most people know there is an alignment of the planets coming up in 2012 which some people believe could throw off the rotation of the earth due to planetary pull which would cause the melting of the ice packs and possibly new ice to form at new poles.

Doomsday theorists think that this may cause catastrophic weather and natural disasters. As well the Mayan calendar ends when the planets align but that could just be coincidence. I donít discount the theory of global warming but there could also be some more natural causes for it but with people contributing to it also.

While you are correct that there are two cycles of warming and cooling (one at a higher frequency than the other), the current rate of warming and it's position of the cycle are both erroneous when compared against data gathered regarding these cycles.

No one is denying the existence of a natural cycle or that the planet cannot cope with warming (or at least, they shouldn't be). The nature of our concern is selfish to say the least. We are accelerating the natural cycle which means we are accelerating ourselves towards the next ice age (at least that's what the evidence suggests). However, there is concern that that the planet may not be able to cope with the large amounts of additional carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and so, the climate may not follow the natural cycle anymore and therefore have a much more catastrophic effect than otherwise.

I'd rather we did the best we can and discover it was futile than do nothing and discover we should've done something. To do nothing is a big gamble (like not applying the brakes when we think there's a wall coming up) and I don't think it is wise.

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Yep, nothing like a wall that won't git outta yer way. Mad

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

fortune cookie wrote:
Yep, nothing like a wall that won't git outta yer way. Mad

Yeah...I know. Stupid walls.

Anyway, my main point regarding this topic wasn't so much about the causes of climate change but the double standards that the US seems to hold whereby you can have any policy you want as long as it's theirs.

It's arrogant, disrespectful and selfish.

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
juissez

I don't understand, you are upset that the US did not instantly ratify the plan put forth by the Germans on global emissions?

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

juissez wrote:
I don't understand, you are upset that the US did not instantly ratify the plan put forth by the Germans on global emissions?

No, I am upset that the US repeatedly turns down the suggestions put forward by its International partners and then has the audacity to demand agreement from them.

Compromise takes two...

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Being one of only Two true Super Powers left in the world.
Will do that to you. *arrogance, disrespect, selfish.*
My suggestion is next time we see GW, I'll hold him and you
kick him in the NUTS! 'K?

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
juissez

Agreement about what? The second article only says that Bush wants to hold several meetings on the subject, not that he has any specific plan he wants other countries to ratify

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

juissez wrote:
Agreement about what? The second article only says that Bush wants to hold several meetings on the subject, not that he has any specific plan he wants other countries to ratify

The second article states that Bush wants agreement among the countries and yet, repeatedly, he turns down the proposals made by other countries. He may not bring a plan himself, but he continually refuses those who are trying.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:03 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: