Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

And the Beat Goes On

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

And the Beat Goes On  Reply with quote  

"Democrats Hide Pet Projects From Voters
By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer

2 hours ago

WASHINGTON - After promising unprecedented openness regarding Congress' pork barrel practices, House Democrats are moving in the opposite direction as they draw up spending bills for the upcoming budget year.

Democrats are sidestepping rules approved their first day in power in January to clearly identify "earmarks" _ lawmakers' requests for specific projects and contracts for their states.

Rather than including specific pet projects, grants and contracts in legislation as it is being written, Democrats are following an order by the House Appropriations Committee chairman to keep the bills free of such earmarks until it is too late for critics to effectively challenge them.

Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., says those requests for dams, community grants and research contracts for favored universities or hospitals will be added to spending measures in the fall. That is when House and Senate negotiators assemble final bills.

Such requests total billions of dollars.

As a result, most lawmakers will not get a chance to oppose specific projects as wasteful or questionable when the spending bills for various agencies get their first votes in the full House in June.

The House-Senate compromise bills due for final action in September cannot be amended and are subject to only one hour of debate, precluding challenges to individual projects.

Obey insists he is reluctantly taking the step because Appropriations Committee members and staff have not had enough time to fully review the 36,000 earmark requests that have flooded the committee.

What Obey is doing runs counter to new rules that Democrats promised would make such spending decisions more open."

Would you like sauce with that pork?

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

O-kay next time we see these guys I'll hold 'em and you can kick 'em where it hurts.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

This has been up now for over 16 hours, and no commentary from our Left leaning board members. At least have the decency to post something to the fact that there has been no Republican out cry over this flip flop of stated values. But then there was no Republican out cry when the Dems troop withdrawal time line found it's way to the shredder either.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

dougp wrote:
This has been up now for over 16 hours, and no commentary from our Left leaning board members. At least have the decency to post something to the fact that there has been no Republican out cry over this flip flop of stated values. But then there was no Republican out cry when the Dems troop withdrawal time line found it's way to the shredder either.

Interesting, isn't it dougp?

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Good morning Amigo. Yes it is. Though I suspect if you or I were to post some disparaging comment about global warming, Jeff and Lynn would not be able to resist themselves, and run in. We might then be able to catch them in that corner over there and get a response. Naturally Jeff's wouldn't count because he's a foreigner, and although the Dem's do like to register foreign nationals to vote, they usually stick with Mexicans. Laughing

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

I have expressed my disdain regarding politician's and their want to lie and deceive more than once and don't see the necessity in complaining yet again. It's a given that they're all full of shit. However, this particular problem has next to little effect on my homeland or the citizens thereof and is internal to the US so I see no reason to express an opinion on it.

If I change my mind, you'll be the first to know, but please rest assured that this decision has nothing to do with my political leanings regarding conservatives and liberals. In fact, even to be grouped as a lefty is somewhat surprising as I don't see myself as particularly liberal or particularly conservative. Of course, it's very easy for people to just label others as one or the other based off one particular opinion that has been expressed. So yeah, "Boo climate change" = lefty. Didn't realise. Sorry.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dougp

Knew that would work. Laughing

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

dougp wrote:

Baby, I've told you. Play nice with the other boys.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dougp

deb wrote:
dougp wrote:

Baby, I've told you. Play nice with the other boys.

Yes dear. Embarassed

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: