Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Garbage Pickers Unite!

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nevermore26

Garbage Pickers Unite!  Reply with quote  

Or, perhaps you prefer, "Scavengers"?

I have been picking through garbages since I was a kid, & I have found some pretty cool stuff. I was just wondering if anyone else here is also a practitioner of the refuse dissecting arts. If so, what are some of the coolest things you've found?

In the past couple years, I've found:

A 1973 Yamaha Enduro 100 motorcycle. Doesn't run, but it was built the exact month & year I was born, & will make one cool Halloween decoration when I'm done with it.

Several lawn mowers & snow throwers. Most of which didn't work, but I had one mower for almost 10 years, & it didn't break til I loaned it to a friend. Last fall I found one that just needed one bolt, & it actually runs better than the one I bought a few years ago.

But, the best of all, a 57" Sony HD projection TV. Only 5 years old, & all it needed was to have the convergence set. Took me about 3 hours, since I've never worked on a TV before, but now the picture looks like new. Mr. Green

A friend of mine works for a waste hauling company, & he finds great stuff all the time.

-A 1980s Honda motorcycle of some sort, that actually runs! Shocked
-TVs, DVD players, DVDs, etc...
-Christmas decorations
-A puppy. (Yep, alive & doing just fine now.)
and, tons (literally) more.

So, what have you rescued?

Nevermore...

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

Being a contractor, my dad has saved many things from the dump through the years, though most of the time it's before it reaches that destination. My dining room set was going to go to the dump, but he saved it for me. He's gotten a few large appliances this way (dish washers, fridges, all that worked) He got a Jetted hot tub, some cabinets, an area rug. And those are just the things I know of right off the top of my head, hehe.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
speedsktrH

my dad got cross country skis out of the army dumpster that didnt look used at all, and my aunt got us soccer cleats that were too old to sell or sumthing from the stores trash by her. personally, the best ive found was sum tape from the hockey locker room to add to my tape ball, which i later got signed by federov.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: