Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

I'm done writing my book...what do I do now?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Heather Chandler

I'm done writing my book...what do I do now?  Reply with quote  

One of my teachers has had fifteen books published, and he offered his help last semester when he said that we can give him stuff to edit for feedback. I really have no other connections so I figure I could get advice from him on how to get an agent, get my book published,etc.

Is there any other route to take or is that the most appropriate option? I'm a bit iffy about it because he writes non-fiction so maybe his publishers' expectations are...I don't know...a little bit different for fiction?

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

It can't hurt. Especially if he can lend you a hand with editing. Extra eyes are always a good thing. Experienced extra eyes - even better. Maybe his publisher isn't into fiction, but maybe they have a connection to someone who is. I have a distributor interested in my fiction, even though he only deals in non-fiction at this time. I say go for it. Good luck.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

There's just an absolute ton of information available.

If you go here:

http://nicoledelsesto.blogspot.com/

Under Publishing Industry resources, I have links to:

My blog called, I'm an author, huh

The Newbies Guide to publishing by JA Konrath

and literary agent Nathan Bransford's blog

It's so important to research well and know what you are getting into (like I didn't even though I did a ton of research.)

And yes, fiction and non-fiction are very different.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heather Chandler

Thanks, Boota Smile I'll definitely send him an e-mail about it to ask if he's got any time right now. If not, I might have to wait until September. I'm also considering asking my former English teacher if she could consider taking a look at it as well. She's a journalist, she majored in English in college, so I'm interested in her input.

I'm tired of asking people online to read my work because they rarely (if ever) have given me informative, critical advice, which is what I want no matter how brutal it is. I know if I ask my professors to read my work, they WILL be honest. And with their experience, maybe I'll have a chance to get recognized.

Great links, knikkki. I just checked out your blog, it gave some great advice. I'll get around to reading the other two you provided as well.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: