Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

There's so much uncivilized America can learn from the world

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kar98

There's so much uncivilized America can learn from the world  Reply with quote  

Quote:
VRINDAVAN, India (CNN) -- Ostracized by society, India's widows flock to the holy city of Vrindavan waiting to die. They are found on side streets, hunched over with walking canes, their heads shaved and their pain etched by hundreds of deep wrinkles in their faces.

Hindu widows are shunned from society when their husbands die, not for religious reasons, but because of tradition -- and because they're seen as a financial drain on their families.

They cannot remarry. They must not wear jewelry. They are forced to shave their heads and typically wear white. Even their shadows are considered bad luck.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/05/damon.india.widows/index.html

Shocked

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

Very decent of them, no one wants to be a DRAIN on ones family. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:44 am   View user's profile Send private message
Aubie

Quote:
Biswas speaks with a strong voice, but her spirit is broken. When her husband of 50 years died, she was instantly ostracized by all those she thought loved her, including her son.

"My son tells me: 'You have grown old. Now who is going to feed you? Go away,' " she says, her eyes filling with tears. "What do I do? My pain had no limit."

Who fed his little butt when she gave birth to him? Geez, if only she were a man with his wife dead, then he could do whatever he wanted. Evil or Very Mad

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Notdeadyet

What was the Anne Rice were the peaceful queen one came and wanted to kill all the men?
O.K., just a thought.... Shocked
That just can't be a good thing, all those angry women.....

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Beer anyone?

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kar98

Beer is good.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

Kar98 wrote:
Beer is good.

Yeah, beer is good.

But kickin yo' mama to the curb jus' cause yo' daddy died, is fookin'
heinous.

And WE"RE the great satan. Rolling Eyes
If that ain't the pot callin the kettle black.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Yo mama ain't being kicked out 'cos your dad's dead honey. She bin kicked out cos she's fookin' with your wife.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Notdeadyet

So, Lisa, are you saying that if the mother in law had been nicer to the daughter in law she would have made her husband take care of her??
I wondered about that.... because here, the grandmas usually end up doing a lot of emergency and non emergency childcare.....
that seems kind of a waste to kick grandma out of the house when she would probably be happy to be helping out....(besides the fact that it's just plain cruel I mean)
Or is it because if they banish her they can take the dad's property from her, so they're really just greedy?
The whole thing seems very bizarro, what the heck is this really about? Is this like the people we hear about marrying teenagers there and keeping their dowry and then setting them on fire so they can marry somebody else and steal their dowry also?
Are women really that expendable there??? Shocked
I was just thinking last night how hard childcare is to find here.....
An engineer I used to work with hires a Chinese graduate student's wife to be her full time nanny and both are very happy with the arrangement. The only problem is her kids will only eat meals on the weekends and holidays if the meal is served over rice. They have marinara sauce with clams on rice, etc.
But seriously, somebody should be teaching those grannies English and American culture and setting them up here in America as nannies, they could make a fortune and the grannies would have a nice house to live in and health insurance........sure it would be an enormous life change and maybe not for everyone, but what would they have to lose?...
I am assuming that if they are a "drain" on the family resources these women come from places where they have to work very, very hard to make a living so the work would not be the most daunting factor, it would be the culture........the last three times I have been at the movie theatre with my little kids we have sat by black Caribbean women herding a big slue of little blonde haired blue eyed kids, the Caribbean women sit a few rows behind and gossip while their charges watch the movies, same at our town swimming pool, they sit in the stands and gossip and watch while the kids splash and play....from talking to them I understand the biggest hurdle is learning to drive the car. Cool
Totally serious, how long do these women outlive their men by? How do they support themselves?
My grandmothers outlived their husband by 36 and 45 years.....
I have three friends that have their mother in laws and grandmother at their house right now and while working and raising kids they also take care of grandma who requires total care, feeding toileting everything like a new baby, they work it out between friends, teens, adult children and visiting nurses a couple times a week and I never hear them complain...
this is very weird to us lisa...
quick someone send them this ad....
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-services-child-care-Hamilton-Nannies-Caregivers-W0QQAdIdZ13265737

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

lisa wrote:
Yo mama ain't being kicked out 'cos your dad's dead honey. She bin kicked out cos she's fookin' with your wife.

Actually, my mama is dead.
My sister cares for my dad.
Before he needed to be tended to, he cared for his parents.
My wife and I care for her grandmother.
Before that, my wife shared in caring for her step-father who had cancer.
Before that, my wife and I pulled up stakes and moved to another state to
help her aunt, who had breast cancer.
We're a very caring bunch.
We have not, nor do we expect to recieve any "reward" or gain of any fashion.
We do it because, you take care of your own.
We are HONORING our elders who provided and paved the way for us.
By ensuring that their last days are spent, surrounded by love and those
who care most about them.
Take notes, pass them amongst your countrymen, learn and teach that
charity and compassion begin at home.
Then again maybe; just maybe, I'm the fooked up one. Smile

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Well actually fc....Indians are against sending parents to old age homes. So it's ok to throw them on the streets? Only in some states this happens.

Why it happens has long stories behind it. We cannot generalise. The common theory is that a woman is considered to have power only as long as the husband is alive. After that she must retire as spent force. In the joint family system, the d-i-l has no say. She obeys and is taken care. Whenever there is a confrontation, she must give in to the M-i-l. Years of this takes it's toll. When the father-in-law dies, now the son and wife take over the house. In the lower middle class sometimes due to pressure from the older woman the d-i-l expells the older woman out.

In my state nothing like this happens. North India and South India constitute the whole country. North Indians are Aryans whereas the South Indians are Dravidians. We belong to different races, speak different languages, have different festivals, eat different food, do different cultures, different customs yet we trade together, count the same money, try to speak in each other's tongues albeit very brokenly, puzzle over our politicians and keep discussions without refering to our caste, race, community, religion, politics, sex & disasters.

Vrindavan lies 1600 kms from here. Actually I have a supplier coming from Delhi coming on the 9th and I will have to ask him about it.

Is it true?
Why is it happening?
What is the state doing to regenerate these women's lives?
Why is that this state is singularly doing this?
How can the people here be so different?

Until then.

Are we allowed to talk about World Prostitution on the internet or is that a forbidden topic too?

Do you have any idea about the Mumbai red light area? If there is a divine omnipresence, it is certainly locked up here.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Alcohol AND Prostitution?
O.K. I'm officially distracted. Smile

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: