Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

the magnificence of the conservative mindset.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

the magnificence of the conservative mindset.  Reply with quote  

See...there's a wonderment that occurs, in the tiny spaces between firing synapses. It is a magical realm where economics don't have to make sense, and everyone else only ever does things that you are morally, ethically, aesthetically and socially comfortable with, dress just like you and give you all their money. It's a tiny [emphasis - tiny - /emphasis] utopia where you are so delightfully consumed with your own goings on that they can be blissfully immune to the pain or concerns of others (unless those actions offend you of course, see above). This place, this realm, this kingdom! This is the conservative mindset!
For the uninitiated, the best and fastest way to appreciate the conservative mindset is to demand things like better roads, more efficient government, healthcare, education and armed forces while lowering the taxes that pay for these things at the same time. Simultaneously, be as concerned as possible about outlawing the 'immoral' actions other people take in the privacy of their own homes that have no direct effect on you whatsoever then simultaneously (keep track, I don't want to lose you) ignore/support/make-excuses-for the reprehensible actions big business takes while exploiting and despoiling developing nations in the ever rabid pursuit of a narrower profit margin. It really makes perfect sense when you really think about it.
Now, between satellite coverage of the GOP national convention and a 30 gallon kitchen bag full of psilocybin cubensis, I don't even have to pretend that reality exists: it's amazing. Though, sometimes the convention is a little too silly, and I have to turn it off.

I love chris moore, and I want to have his brain babies.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:33 am   
Unc

Re: the magnificence of the conservative mindset.  Reply with quote  

Anonymous wrote:
I love chris moore, and I want to have his brain babies.

"Having someone's brain babies" is a new term for me. Is this the same as "attaining piece of mind?" Laughing

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Whoa  Reply with quote  

Hello. I'm an independent. Just wanted to start things off by saying that so we're clear.

My entire family is Republican. I am the first in a long line to vote for *gasp* a democrat, because I vote for the person not the party. That being said, just because someone votes conservative does NOT mean they don't give a shit about anyone else, and wrapping it all up and putting a bow on it by saying that 'the conservative mindset' is wrong/selfish or that the people who vote that way don't care about social issues is - in my opinion - short sighted.

I don't envy any President. You have only so much money, and you have a lot of people to take care of with it. Do we cut defense so we can dish out more money for soup kitchens, thus opening ourselves for another 9/11? Do we cut homeland security for more welfare programs? Who the hell would want to make that decision? I wouldn't. And I don't care if the man in power is conservative or liberal . . . that's a shitty thing to have to decide. The President's job is to reason out priorities, and both lines of thinking boil down to the value of human life . . . hungry people vs. innocent people that work in a high profile skyscraper.

So tell me, which lives do you save?

Conservatives and liberals want the same things for everybody. Voting conservative does not mean you don't want a better education for your child or that you don't care about the homeless. Truly it doesn't. All it means is that somewhere, you had to make a decision between 2 shitty situations and you picked what you considered either A) the lesser of two evils or B) the most pressing thing for the immediate future.

Something to keep in mind as you read this, btw, because I *know* I'm going to get abused for defending the conservative mindset . . . I'm voting for Kerry. These 'party slams' just piss me off, because I think we end up chasing our tails and getting nothing done when we say one party has it all right and the other wrong. That's rarely the case in life. Take a little from each and learn something from it. Then move on.

(Oh yeah . . . another point. The economics behind both parties are screwed, and pointing the finger at one over the other is ridiculous. Our economy goes in cycles. The estimated time line for any economic decision to catch up with the country is 8 years. That being said, Bush is right now wallowing in the Clinton administration's money decisions, just like the Clinton administration had to tackle Reagan's and Bush Sr's. Which means we'll really be seeing the ramifications of Bush's Iraq parade in another 7 years. Something to look forward to, kids!)

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tal

Amen and well said..  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:
Hello. I'm an independent. Just wanted to start things off by saying that so we're clear.

My entire family is Republican. I am the first in a long line to vote for *gasp* a democrat, because I vote for the person not the party. That being said, just because someone votes conservative does NOT mean they don't give a shit about anyone else, and wrapping it all up and putting a bow on it by saying that 'the conservative mindset' is wrong/selfish or that the people who vote that way don't care about social issues is - in my opinion - short sighted.

I don't envy any President. You have only so much money, and you have a lot of people to take care of with it. Do we cut defense so we can dish out more money for soup kitchens, thus opening ourselves for another 9/11? Do we cut homeland security for more welfare programs? Who the hell would want to make that decision? I wouldn't. And I don't care if the man in power is conservative or liberal . . . that's a shitty thing to have to decide. The President's job is to reason out priorities, and both lines of thinking boil down to the value of human life . . . hungry people vs. innocent people that work in a high profile skyscraper.

So tell me, which lives do you save?

Conservatives and liberals want the same things for everybody. Voting conservative does not mean you don't want a better education for your child or that you don't care about the homeless. Truly it doesn't. All it means is that somewhere, you had to make a decision between 2 shitty situations and you picked what you considered either A) the lesser of two evils or B) the most pressing thing for the immediate future.

Something to keep in mind as you read this, btw, because I *know* I'm going to get abused for defending the conservative mindset . . . I'm voting for Kerry. These 'party slams' just piss me off, because I think we end up chasing our tails and getting nothing done when we say one party has it all right and the other wrong. That's rarely the case in life. Take a little from each and learn something from it. Then move on.

(Oh yeah . . . another point. The economics behind both parties are screwed, and pointing the finger at one over the other is ridiculous. Our economy goes in cycles. The estimated time line for any economic decision to catch up with the country is 8 years. That being said, Bush is right now wallowing in the Clinton administration's money decisions, just like the Clinton administration had to tackle Reagan's and Bush Sr's. Which means we'll really be seeing the ramifications of Bush's Iraq parade in another 7 years. Something to look forward to, kids!)

Preach on sister. Smile

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Sorry, Tal.

I got my tail feathers ruffled.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
K'Hovak

To, then-Secretary of the Treasury Paul O'Neill, Dick Cheney said,

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."

At half-a-trillion in the hole PER YEAR, they ain't choosing based upon "limited funds."

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:38 am   
Hillary

And we can toss quotes back and forth all day.

My point was not 'who's the biggest dickhead in politics' cause I'm pretty sure we can all point at Cheney and have a good laugh.

My point was that the assumption that anyone who votes conservative is a flaming asshole and doesn't care about other people is flat out wrong.

I've done it. I've voted conservative. So shoot me, or at least tell me what an insensitive bitch I am.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

How can anyone call you an insensitive bitch when you're latest avatar is so damn cute?

I grew up in a Republican household. I'm an Independent who's voted mostly Democrat over the last 25 or so years. I try not to talk politics with my family, but it's sometimes impossible to hold back. I understand exactly what you're saying, Hillary. That said, the current batch of conservatives in control of the country are heartless, unfeeling, self-involved, egotistical bastards who don't care about anyone other than the rich and big business interests (redundant?). And they definitely would rather all women revert to the way they were in the '50s and early '60s. Can you say "Stepford Wives"?

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tal

Hillary wrote:
Sorry, Tal.

I got my tail feathers ruffled.

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about Hillary. I was expressing my approval of what you so eloquently stated. Smile

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: Whoa  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:

Conservatives and liberals want the same things for everybody.

Hillary, I'm astounded by the naivety of that statement.

Gay rights, choice, stem cell research?

Affirmative action, mandatory sentencing, gun control, prayer in school, censorship content in media, separation of Church and State? Missile defense, premptive war, U.N. cooperation?

Turn on the radio, girl. Listen to what conservatives have to say. You're either misinformed about conservatives or misinformed about Liberals.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Think me naive, but here's what I choose to believe (and yes, I read the newspaper, and I watch tv and last I checked, I didn't think I was stupid):

Allison is a republican. She wants people to be educated, to eat well, and to be disease free. She also wants to be safe in her home.

Brenda is a liberal. She wants people to be educated, to eat well, and to be disease free. She also wants to be safe in her home.

The difference between the two of them is not what they want, it's how they get there.

Naive or not, I still believe that everyone (and I'm talking the majority - not the token weirdo) wants the same thing for people. They just believe they "know" the right way to go about it. I don't agree with a lot of the conservative views, but I won't mock it. I take some from them, I take some from the liberal way. Then I say Bam like Emeril to see what happens.

(Oh, and get this one - my big gay dad? Yeah. He's a republican)

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
K'Hovak

SAFE is the biggest illusion on "Allison's list" and/or "Brenda's list" ... and most of it is hype by the local news ... it designed to catch your attention.
Crime in most in-your-face categories have dropped (on average) the news coverage devoted to the same is through the roof.
I have to go with Wanda Sykes here ... a mugger will only take what you have on you ... the Enrons, Worldcoms, Adelphias ... will take your ENTIRE retirement, drop your job like it's powder on a doughnut and leave you with nothing ... they will steal your future. And if your independant 401 K or your IRA institution invests in the stock market, or the S&P 500 ... Enron was up to , what, #7 on the list when Ken Lay bailed on them ... so #7 was replaced by #501 (not by #Cool, that's how far your investment for retirement fell. GRAVITY won't even make you fall that fast, on Jupiter.

The Republicans want us shaking-in-our-boots ... afraid of everything ...
forn'rs, germs, nukelar thing-a-majiggies, library books, car bombs, supersized meals, truck bombs, cholesterol, shoe bombs, even the space between a playmate's toes (real story, for another time) ... either, they too, are afraid of everything, or if we aren't afraid, we'll notice the lies and the connections, all the shady deals, all the squid pro quo (think tentacles, think slimy).

Yet, on August 6th 2001 Alfred E. President signed off on the memo of
"Al Qaeda determined to hit targets in the US," then Georgie went out and ran his SS guys into the ground in the 105-degree heat of Crawford.
Of course he doesn't remember the memo, the heat fried the brain cells that just signed off on William Clark's memo. Clark has been whisked into some dark corner of some office around the corner because they weren't gonna do anything the way Billie Clinton had done it.

All I want is a LAME fucking DUCK for 80 days ... not 1,539 days.

Besides Kerry has only fallen off his bike once ... W, twice.
And somebodies needs mommy to chew his food for him ... choked on a pretzel!?! ... enough to pass out?!?

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:04 pm   
Grumble

PS ...  Reply with quote  

"... #Cool " was supposed to be "(not [replaced] by NUMBER EIGHT)"

Damn you emoticon short-cut thingies

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:07 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Hillary wrote:

Allison is a republican. She wants people to be educated, to eat well, and to be disease free. She also wants to be safe in her home.

Brenda is a liberal. She wants people to be educated, to eat well, and to be disease free. She also wants to be safe in her home.

Conservatives support a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage and civil unions.

How is that wanting the same thing for everyone?

Conservatives support a constitutional ban on abortion.

How is that wanting the same thing for everyone?

I'm not making this up, this is in the Republican Party Platform.

There is no Liberal method to achieve those goals.

Alvin wants to eat well, be disease free, and be safe in his own home. Is he a conservative or a liberal? Well, like you said, with those perameters, it's sort of hard to tell. That, and he's the big gray toad that lives under my back porch, so he's not committing. Obviously, there is no difference between Democrats, Republicans, or Amphibians.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dave

I'm confused. Where do the gay clog dancers fit in??

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: