Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

the magnificence of the conservative mindset.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hillary

Communication stumbling? Me? Jamais.  Reply with quote  

The point that I was trying to make - maybe in the beginning (and I probably lost sight of it along the way, but I have a tendency to do that. I call it 'ooh shiny syndrome') is that I am one of those people who have voted Republican in the past, and a comment like this:

Quote:
It's a tiny [emphasis - tiny - /emphasis] utopia where you are so delightfully consumed with your own goings on that they can be blissfully immune to the pain or concerns of others (unless those actions offend you of course, see above). This place, this realm, this kingdom! This is the conservative mindset!

made me feel like a social leper without the least amount of compassion in my body. Contrary to popular belief, I stop to pet a puppy on occasion, and don't have the slightest inkling to kick it afterwards.

As you've probably guessed, extreme views on both sides of the fence scare the shit out of me. This one struck a nerve and I took it somewhat personally. Considering that I'm pro-choice with a gay dad and more gay friends than I know what to do with, I am definitely *not* the person you want protecting the right wing agenda. If you do want that - or want a good debate - go find Lunk. He loves this stuff. Me? I'm just here for the pizza and the books.

Now I'm going to return to my not-so-quiet corner and find a toad named Alvin to play with. From what I've heard, he's looking for a nice place to live and a good education. I think I have a shoebox calling his name.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tal

K'Hovak wrote:
SAFE is the biggest illusion on "Allison's list" and/or "Brenda's list" ... and most of it is hype by the local news ... it designed to catch your attention.
Crime in most in-your-face categories have dropped (on average) the news coverage devoted to the same is through the roof.
I have to go with Wanda Sykes here ... a mugger will only take what you have on you ... the Enrons, Worldcoms, Adelphias ... will take your ENTIRE retirement, drop your job like it's powder on a doughnut and leave you with nothing ... they will steal your future. And if your independant 401 K or your IRA institution invests in the stock market, or the S&P 500 ... Enron was up to , what, #7 on the list when Ken Lay bailed on them ... so #7 was replaced by #501 (not by #Cool, that's how far your investment for retirement fell. GRAVITY won't even make you fall that fast, on Jupiter.

The Republicans want us shaking-in-our-boots ... afraid of everything ...
forn'rs, germs, nukelar thing-a-majiggies, library books, car bombs, supersized meals, truck bombs, cholesterol, shoe bombs, even the space between a playmate's toes (real story, for another time) ... either, they too, are afraid of everything, or if we aren't afraid, we'll notice the lies and the connections, all the shady deals, all the squid pro quo (think tentacles, think slimy).

Yet, on August 6th 2001 Alfred E. President signed off on the memo of
"Al Qaeda determined to hit targets in the US," then Georgie went out and ran his SS guys into the ground in the 105-degree heat of Crawford.
Of course he doesn't remember the memo, the heat fried the brain cells that just signed off on William Clark's memo. Clark has been whisked into some dark corner of some office around the corner because they weren't gonna do anything the way Billie Clinton had done it.

All I want is a LAME fucking DUCK for 80 days ... not 1,539 days.

Besides Kerry has only fallen off his bike once ... W, twice.
And somebodies needs mommy to chew his food for him ... choked on a pretzel!?! ... enough to pass out?!?

What's your agenda in all this if not to make people fear conservatives and the republicans. I'm not supporting much that Georgie has done in office but you're rather quick to trot out labels and innuendo.

I propose that we stop trying to slap a label on things and start debating the issues as they stand. 'Course I'm probably naive to be making this kind of proposal in the first place. Thought I was safe from this kind of shit by not reading the fucking politics forum. Rolling Eyes

Forget it. I'm letting your rhetoric get to me. Anyone needs me I'll be in my quiet corner re-reading Lamb

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mister

the conservative case against bush.  Reply with quote  

http://www.nypress.com/17/31/news&columns/WilliamBryk.cfm

the conservative case against bush.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

You're insane and your cat's frog hat is totally too small!

(Okay, sorry, but the above is a signature Christopher Moore line. Much like, "Your insane and your bat's sunglasses are crooked!", which is in one of my books, I don't remember which. I don't really think you're insane or that your cat's hat is too small, although it does, with a second and third consideration, appear to be silly. Kitty voting amphibian this time? Sometimes, however, this is the only way I know to close a debate.)

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: the conservative case against bush.  Reply with quote  

mister wrote:
http://www.nypress.com/17/31/news&columns/WilliamBryk.cfm

the conservative case against bush.

Mister, that was a great article. Thanks for posting it. I've been trying to point these things out to my conservative friends, but this is much more concise and has much less screaming.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

That was a great article, Mister. But how do you get that message across to the people who really need to hear and understand it? The vast majority of people who are going to vote for Bush would never attempt to read something like that: too much background and history, too many big words, and too long. The person who wrote it would be viewed as an intellectual, in the pejorative sense of the word. This is what is most frustrating and frightening to me. The administration knows exactly how to manipulate your average voter, and nobody has figured out a way to convince that voter that he or she is being manipulated to achieve goals that have nothing to do with his or her welfare, safety, security, whatever you want to call it.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

It doesn't help that the nice 'democratic' senator Zell from Georgia blasted Kerry and gave a key address at Bush's Rah Rah.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
K'Hovak

Okay ... go with the VOTE BY YOUR FEAR choice ... pick that four letter choice (B - U - ... )

Somebody out there wants you to vote from FEAR ... vote how you like but make it an INFORMERD FUCKING CHOICE ...

And it WILL NOT be told to you by the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth"

And it ain't labels when it IS their tactic.

"Tactic," like "tact," doesn't always deal with truth.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:57 am   
Tal

*Edited* I said I would stay in my corner and thats where I'm staying.

I'll make my own informed decisions in regards to MY vote.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Goudron

Hillary wrote:
My point was that the assumption that anyone who votes conservative is a flaming asshole and doesn't care about other people is flat out wrong.

I've done it. I've voted conservative. So shoot me, or at least tell me what an insensitive bitch I am.

So we can shoot you and/or call you an insensitive bitch, but not assume you're a flaming asshole? Just clarifying Very Happy

IMHO the main difficulty with American politics is it's become liberal or conservative, when in reality there are multitudes of political views. George Bush and John Kerry don't represent the views of a majority of Americans. They might properly represent 17 Americans each if they're lucky.

You can probably label me liberal, but I'm really just me. If there are only 2 sides, then you're either for us or against us. No unity is possible.

Everybody vote Nader this time around (just to make a point) and next election get a dozen other popular dudes, dudettes, flaming OR frozen assholes to run for president.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kurt

I'm much nicer as a Klingon ...  Reply with quote  

Sorry but there's an idiot at the helm ... who dismisses his DUI charges like they were lint on his lapel ... my mother died (over a Labor Day weekend) as the result of such a "trivial" outlook as that ... BOTH of my grandfathers also were victims of drunk drivers. It robs you of the corners to hide in, or retreat to.

Even scarier ... there are records SEALED in Texas hiding other "indiscretions" ... the fact that's there's something to hide, SHOWS ME that there IS something to hide. And there's there's the stolen election ... and no reason to repsect anyone wearing a robe either. So excuse me, if the fix is in place, and the puppet claims to be sober.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:44 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Hey Kurt, Cheney had two DUIs. Just so we're sure who is more experienced.

Not fanning the flames or nothin' Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tal

To clear up my confusion: Who was that directed at Kurt?

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Quote:
So we can shoot you and/or call you an insensitive bitch, but not assume you're a flaming asshole? Just clarifying

I'm glad to see you understand the machinations of my confused little mind. I think we're on the same page.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
K'H

(Thanks CM)

What, Papa Bush wouldn't seal the records of Dick's indiscretions, his Sec of Def? ... So both "members" are convicts. I didn't doubt it.

Have you seen the Halliburton bribe thing in Nigeria ... though I think it was just before they put a Dick at the helm (but he didn't take care of it either if it's coming up again). I saw it on CBS-Market Watch ... I could make a link that would work to yesterday's (9/2) story.

But having been on the victim-side of the DUI thing ... so has Michael Moore, he can't straighten one of his arms because of an accident cause by a drunk driver. If he was as insensed by GWB'S "dismissal" of the "trivial" nature of the DUI/DWI in Maine as I was, that would explain a lot of the motivation behind what he has published and filmed, but MMoore also footnotes his books, and he ain't citing the Weekly World News ... but he's also kinder that I would be.

And yes ... the drunk-driving thing alone IS ENOUGH.
If I had been willing to vote for the moron before that came out, I WOULD HAVE CHANGED MY VOTE ... why? Because he dismissed it an unimportant,
rather than having the stones to fess up that he FUCKED up.

So it's poetry that the TWINS used fake ID's to go out drinking. But maybe it's not a felony in Texas. Or are they now sealed too?

And it's ironic how nature is pounding Florida since it's the first presidential-election-season since the 2000 "fix" All those who were disenfrancised, wonder if FEMA will help them, or will they only help those who were still allowed to vote?

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:30 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: