Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

U.S. Motto, "As Long As It's Cheap"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

U.S. Motto, "As Long As It's Cheap"  Reply with quote  

In low-priced imports, worrisome costs
Chinese toy recall is latest sign of risk

By Robert Gavin, (Boston) Globe Staff | August 3, 2007

The recall yesterday of nearly 1 million Mattel Inc. toys, following safety problems with several other Chinese exports over the past three months, underscores that the low prices enjoyed by US consumers and businesses can include hidden, sometimes dangerous costs.[...]

But in recent months, tainted pet food, toothpaste laced with antifreeze, contaminated shrimp, and defective tires have shown that there can be significant risks in the flood of Chinese imports. In many instances, low prices have come at the expense of quality and safety, economists said. China's explosive economic growth has been accompanied by significant increases in water and air pollution there.[...]

"We're not quite getting the deal we think we're getting," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com. "You know the old adage, 'You get what you pay for.' "[...]

In addition, competition with low-wage workers in China has suppressed US wages, particularly for manufacturing workers, Scott said.

Yeah, yeah, I know...like how could I resist bashing China yet again. But, in truth, it's the greed of corporate America for bigger profits, and our insistence that we buy as cheaply as possible, that's contributing to the problem.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

This comes off to me as a bit inflamatory. While it's true there has been well documented problems for China's quality, there has also been the well documented jailing and execution of corrupt officials. The article fails to mention the reason for the recall by Mattel, simply putting it in the "Oh, here we go again" column. The post then segways to an increase in water and air pollution, without looking at the miriad of reasons, nor acknowledging any efforts by the Chineese to address the issue. China producing lower quality items, and the concept of "getting what you pay for" have been a reality for the 49 years I've been here, quite possibly longer. If anyone gets up in arms, or is surprised by that info, they really should be slapped IMO. The last bit, concerning the holding down of wages is just plain wrong.

After years of oppressive conditions, resulting in poverty and limited growth, the Chineese government is lifting the boot off the neck of the people and turning towards a more open economy. They appear to have learned a bit from watching the Soviets, and have gone to great lengths to avoid the same problems and failures, while growing at an astounding clip. Consider; China didn't join the UN until 1971, and the violent put down at Tianamen Square only 18 years ago, and that today they actively encourage our participation towards their current success.

The press runs on making you afraid, telling you that there really is no Santa, but don't go in the closet or look under the bed because the ugly gremlins are real. Products manufactured world wide are recalled every fucking day for a miriad of reasons, some even manufactured here. Perhaps you'd care to place the blame for ecoli burgers and spinach at the feet of the Red Menace? Corruption and the willingness to make a fast buck at the expense of the safety of others may also be found world wide. I don't recall if Fentanyl was foisted on the American public by the Chineese or not.

Across the Pacific you've got a shitload of people that have been living in what you would consider to be less than desirable conditions. Now that they want not what you have, but to have access to the same, you jump up and down while wringing your hands and denounce their every toe stub. Maybe you've not run across the saying, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I as an American feel I have no right to cast aspersions towards a people that is willing to execute corrupt officials, when we give ours book deals and make them lobbyists.
They give the appearance of taking their faux pas a touch more serious than we do ours.

Finally, if you're interested in a good read, try "The world is flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. When you're done with it, you can add Lisa's country to your list of peoples wanting to take what is rightfully ours and ours alone.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

dougp wrote:
This comes off to me as a bit inflamatory. While it's true there has been well documented problems for China's quality, there has also been the well documented jailing and execution of corrupt officials. The article fails to mention the reason for the recall by Mattel, simply putting it in the "Oh, here we go again" column. The post then segways to an increase in water and air pollution, without looking at the miriad of reasons, nor acknowledging any efforts by the Chineese to address the issue. China producing lower quality items, and the concept of "getting what you pay for" have been a reality for the 49 years I've been here, quite possibly longer. If anyone gets up in arms, or is surprised by that info, they really should be slapped IMO. The last bit, concerning the holding down of wages is just plain wrong.

After years of oppressive conditions, resulting in poverty and limited growth, the Chineese government is lifting the boot off the neck of the people and turning towards a more open economy. They appear to have learned a bit from watching the Soviets, and have gone to great lengths to avoid the same problems and failures, while growing at an astounding clip. Consider; China didn't join the UN until 1971, and the violent put down at Tianamen Square only 18 years ago, and that today they actively encourage our participation towards their current success.

The press runs on making you afraid, telling you that there really is no Santa, but don't go in the closet or look under the bed because the ugly gremlins are real. Products manufactured world wide are recalled every fucking day for a miriad of reasons, some even manufactured here. Perhaps you'd care to place the blame for ecoli burgers and spinach at the feet of the Red Menace? Corruption and the willingness to make a fast buck at the expense of the safety of others may also be found world wide. I don't recall if Fentanyl was foisted on the American public by the Chineese or not.

Across the Pacific you've got a shitload of people that have been living in what you would consider to be less than desirable conditions. Now that they want not what you have, but to have access to the same, you jump up and down while wringing your hands and denounce their every toe stub. Maybe you've not run across the saying, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I as an American feel I have no right to cast aspersions towards a people that is willing to execute corrupt officials, when we give ours book deals and make them lobbyists.
They give the appearance of taking their faux pas a touch more serious than we do ours.

Finally, if you're interested in a good read, try "The world is flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. When you're done with it, you can add Lisa's country to your list of peoples wanting to take what is rightfully ours and ours alone.

My, my you certainly read a great deal into that thread didn't you.

Have you considered a career as a Chinese lobbyist? Smile

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Like that was the only time you've jumped their shit. Laughing

Did go on a bit of a rant though, didn't I. Most likely an improper chemical balance. I should probably roll another smoke to go with the coffee. Embarassed

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

dougp wrote:
Like that was the only time you've jumped their shit. Laughing

Did go on a bit of a rant though, didn't I. Most likely an improper chemical balance. I should probably roll another smoke to go with the coffee. Embarassed

I fear you've been in that gimp box too long. Make that a nice loooong toke, my friend. Smile

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

I only smoke a fine grade of rolling tobacco. That other stuff is for kids. Cool

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Fisher-Price and Mattel are the real culprits here. Their callous attitude toward consumers who pay premium prices to buy trusted brand name "safe" toys for their children is unconscionable. If their products are no better than the cheap knockoffs why should parents buy them?

What do the chinese know of those corporations except that they're paying the much same rates as Walmart and BigLots for the products commissioned? If the manufacturers are not getting regular spot testing and inspection of the goods what incentive do they have to do differently?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amigo

dougp wrote:
I only smoke a fine grade of rolling tobacco. That other stuff is for kids. Cool

Nay, nay, TRIX™ is for kids. Smile

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

From some article regarding the latest-

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, introduced a bill last month that he contended would dramatically expand the product safety commission's ability to protect consumers. In a statement Wednesday night, Durbin also called for better safety standards for products imported from China.

"Sadly, this is the most recent in a series of disturbing recalls of children's toys. While the toys may be different, they have one thing in common -- they were manufactured in China," he said. "With the current tools and resources the Consumer Product Safety Commission has, it cannot adequately protect American consumers."

Well I for one feel so much safer now, knowing the government is on the case. Most certainly a larger bloated bureaucracy will do the trick. The fact that the companies involved found the issue and were able to prevent 2/3 of the product from reaching the shelves while the agency mentioned just shuffled papers, should in no way impede the growth of our government. Does anyone else see the irony in a liberal Democrat bemoaning the growth pains of a communist country turning capatalist? Probably not.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Amigo wrote:
dougp wrote:

Obviously you haven't raised any. Laughing

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

dougp wrote:
[...]
Well I for one feel so much safer now, knowing the government is on the case. Most certainly a larger bloated bureaucracy will do the trick. [...].

That's what I call "right thinking," dougp. I'm so proud of you! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

dougp wrote:
Amigo wrote:
dougp wrote:

Obviously you haven't raised any. Laughing

Yah, we did actually, but he preferred poontang over pot. Laughing

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Amigo wrote:
Yah, we did actually, but he preferred poontang over pot. Laughing

Like he couldn't of had both? Is he some sort of under achiever like his dad? Shocked

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Amigo wrote:
dougp wrote:
[...]
Well I for one feel so much safer now, knowing the government is on the case. Most certainly a larger bloated bureaucracy will do the trick. [...].

That's what I call "right thinking," dougp. I'm so proud of you! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Spoken like a true fan of the safer bus rides in Indiana.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

There is nothing wrong in wanting to have your local goods sold and so badmouthing another country's products. You've got to do it. Taiwan products are sold here cheap all the time. It's all use and throw stuff. Chinese goods are secondary in quality, you have a choice.

dougp wrote:
When you're done with it, you can add Lisa's country to your list of peoples wanting to take what is rightfully ours and ours alone.

We only want all your jobs. Nothing else. Not your toy market or your clothes market or your electronic market. Ok?

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: