Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Left Behind is Left Behind

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lara

Left Behind is Left Behind  Reply with quote  

DOD halts evangelical group from sending video game to troops in Iraq.

Troy Lyndon, the producer of the game, said the game's "warfare" is not violent, and that it emphasizes "spiritual battles" over fighting with guns. The game gives incentives to recruit believers instead of killing the forces of the Antichrist, according to Lyndon.

I read up on this game a while back and if you do kill someone instead of converting them, you lose spirit points that you can only get back by praying on your knees for a moment or two.

I do appreciate this quote from a pastor:

"It's a horrible game," said the Rev. Timothy Simpson of the Christians Alliance for Progress. "You either kill or covert the other side. This is exactly what the Osama bin Ladens of the world have portrayed us."

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

Boy, I hope they make this for Gamecube, is there a "friendly fire" option <<fingers crossed in fervent hope>>?
I don't know which is scarier, that they would have a game like this in the first place or that the DOD would make a GOOD decision for a change.

- "Bones"

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lara

leprrkan wrote:
Boy, I hope they make this for Gamecube, is there a "friendly fire" option <<fingers crossed in fervent hope>>?
I don't know which is scarier, that they would have a game like this in the first place or that the DOD would make a GOOD decision for a change.

You can choose to play on the side of the Anti-Christ (you can be a devil, a demon, a minion, or Catholic) but the game is rigged so that you absolutely cannot win if you do.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

Quote:
You can choose to play on the side of the Anti-Christ (you can be a devil, a demon, a minion, or Catholic

So the Catholics are on the side of the Anti-Christ? Boy, Benedict's gonna be PISSED when he hears that. Good thing I gave 'em up when I did...and we thought pedophilia was the big problem in the Church. Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amigo

leprrkan wrote:
[...]...and we thought pedophilia was the big problem in the Church. Laughing

Actually, research on sex offenses in the Catholic Church has shown that around 80 percent of priests who have abused minors are ephebophiles, who target post-pubescent adolescent boys.

Still unforgiveable, of course, and the Catholic church has only itself to blame with its ridiculous rule of celibacy...which is all about saving the church money.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

You know, Amigo, the Church has only itself to blame for a lot of things: the persecution of the Jews, the forced conversion and slaughter of indigenous people around the world, the persecution of scientists (Galileo just got his pardon in the last ten years), the brutality against young people in Her schools, orphanages, and institutions... the list could go on. So I guess it's small potatoes when it comes to the rape of children, pre- or post-pubescent. I know you're not defending them, I'm just venting.
It's ironic how often I heard my pastor crying "poor" Sunday after Sunday when he was driving a brand new car every two years. The Church doesn't need to save money, Dan Brown got that part right, it sits on a VAST fortune in (tax-free) land, paintings, sculpture, jewels, historical books, etc. Not to mention the money collected every day in masses all across the world, money spent to marry/baptize/wed/bury parishioners, money from "Religious Fund" appeals and bingo games.
I know that such fuckery is not limited to THE Church, it's just that R.C. is my faith tradition, so I have experience with it. Yet, for some reason, I still feel shocked and angered when Holier-Than-Thou faithmongers get up to shenanigans. Such as making video games that portray other faith traditions as the Anti-Christ because they don't believe what you do, or by portraying them as "lost" and in need of salvation... Rolling Eyes
Gonna go put this soap-box away, now. Sorry to go so off-track Embarassed

- "Bones"

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lara

Just wanted to mention that I threw in Catholic for fun. I don't think they mention Catholics in the game. Funny thing is, tho, in the whole "Born Again" tradition that makes the rules of this game and the Left Behind series it emulates, the Catholics are as pagan as one can get. As conservative as an "R.C." can be, there is no getting past the whole born again baptism thing. Catholics and others who may find themselves refusing to be bathed in the waters of this new religion may find themselves just as fucked as any athiest.

I'm just looking forward to the year 2012 when the Vulcans finally land and Atlantis rises from the depths, shedding her mantle of ocean.

ooooooooohm.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

Quote:
Just wanted to mention that I threw in Catholic for fun. I don't think they mention Catholics in the game.

You are evil. The Vatican has been notified and their retribution will be swift and painful Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
juissez

A few things I wanted to mention:

1) This game sounds like it would be fun after I got into my private stash of Mushrooms.

2) (To Amigo) Although I could not find any definition to "ephebophiles" in either my American Heritage Dictionary or the Merriam-Webster website, the good people of American Heritage define ephebe as : A youth between eighteen and twenty years of age. So did you mean ephebophiles as ones having strong affinity or preference for youths between eighteen and twenty years of age?

3) (To Leprrkan) Is it possible the church leased a car for your pastor instead of buying one outright, which is why he had a new one every couple of years[/i]

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

For juissez  Reply with quote  

juissez wrote:
[...]
2) (To Amigo) Although I could not find any definition to "ephebophiles" in either my American Heritage Dictionary or the Merriam-Webster website, the good people of American Heritage define ephebe as : A youth between eighteen and twenty years of age. So did you mean ephebophiles as ones having strong affinity or preference for youths between eighteen and twenty years of age?[...]

Ephebophilia or Hebephilia has been defined as sexual attraction to adolescents (not just those who have turned 18 ).

It is not the same as pederasty, as the ephebophile is only attracted to boys who are post-pubescent, and the sexual activity does not only involve anal intercourse.

"The reason for the revulsion felt for pedophilia is not just sympathy for the trauma suffered by the child, nor a judgment of the abuse of imbalanced power, even though both are real enough. It goes deeper; it goes to the defiance of a law of Nature, whereby to have sex with somebody who has not reached sexual maturity is to have sex with somebody who is, if you will, not “ready”.

By contrast, to have sex with somebody who has passed the age of puberty is merely to defy a law of Man — and a pretty arbitrary law at that. We cannot agree between one border and the next at what age a boy or girl is emotionally developed enough to give informed consent: Malta and The Netherlands think 12, Canada and Italy weigh in at 14, cautious Greece holds out for 15 and the good burghers of Iceland go as high as 17." Article here .

Again, I am not condoning this behavior in any way, but feel it is an important distinction to not label all "child" molesters as pedophiles as many countries Ages of Consent indicate.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 am   View user's profile Send private message
juissez

Amigo,

Thanks for the clarification.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

Quote:
3) (To Leprrkan) Is it possible the church leased a car for your pastor instead of buying one outright, which is why he had a new one every couple of years[/i

Nice thought, but no. He bragged about buying one and then was pissed when a sem totalled it on the way to prom, and he had to go buy a new one.
I also had a friend who was newly ordained and became an associate at the parish I grew up in, which is very low income, and he drove a POS beater. Well, six months late, he got moved to one of the wealthy parishes and the Diocese bought him a new car. Rolling Eyes

- "Bones"

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ginjg

so much for the vow of poverty

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
leprrkan

Quote:
so much for the vow of poverty

Only monks and nuns take that one. And they lease a fleet of cars, and have the best liquor cabinets. My first job was as a dishwasher in a convent and I was always amazed at the amount of alcohol around.

- "Bones"

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lara

leprrkan wrote:
My first job was as a dishwasher in a convent and I was always amazed at the amount of alcohol around.

Sounds like an interesting tale. Do share a story.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: