Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

And Yet More "Good News" from China

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

And Yet More "Good News" from China  Reply with quote  

NZ Investigates China Clothes Imports
By Associated Press

Mon Aug 20, 0:06 AM

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's government is investigating clothing imports from China after some were found to contain dangerously high levels of the chemical formaldehyde, officials said Monday.

The probe was ordered after scientists testing clothes for TV3's "Target" consumer watchdog program discovered formaldehyde concentrations up to 900 times above the safe level in woolen and cotton clothes from China.

Formaldehyde _ a preservative that is used to give a permanent press effect to clothes and also as an embalming fluid _ can cause problems ranging from skin rashes to cancer.[...]

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
juissez

Starbucks has recently recalled a green children's mug, shaped like a turtle (yet kind of looks like a green ladybug). These mugs were made in China.

I do not have any specific information on why these mugs were removed from the shelves. Nor do I propose or in any way suggest any reasons.

If you purchased this product, please stop using it immediately and return it to your most convenient Starbucks location.

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

juissez wrote:
Starbucks has recently recalled a green children's mug, shaped like a turtle (yet kind of looks like a green ladybug). These mugs were made in China.

I do not have any specific information on why these mugs were removed from the shelves. Nor do I propose or in any way suggest any reasons.

If you purchased this product, please stop using it immediately and return it to your most convenient Starbucks location.

Chromium Green pigment perhaps?

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kianu

It's actually a WalMart conspiracy to wipe out their competitors. They're just looking out for the American economy. Next, Mexico and India.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

Kianu wrote:
It's actually a WalMart conspiracy to wipe out their competitors. They're just looking out for the American economy. Next, Mexico and India.

If Wal-Mart is actually selling these clothes, and I strongly suspect they are, it may result in wiping out their customers.

Gee, now wouldn't that be a shame? Laughing

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:53 am   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

Amigo wrote:
[...]

If Wal-Mart is actually selling these clothes, and I strongly suspect they are, it may result in wiping out their customers.

Gee, now wouldn't that be a shame? Laughing

...and wiping out their pets as well:

Wal-Mart: Melamine Traces in Dog Treats
By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press Writer

Tue Aug 21, 11:12 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Tests of two Chinese brands of dog treats sold at Wal-Mart stores found traces of melamine, a chemical agent that led to another massive pet food recall in March, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. quietly stopped selling Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading in July, after customers said the products sickened their pets.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:21 am   View user's profile Send private message
Aubie

Oh dear! We may have to make our own doggie chicken treats, green turtle/ladybug mugs and crappy Wal-Mart clothes!

Rolling Eyes

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

[quote="Amigo"]
Amigo wrote:
[...] Wal-Mart Stores Inc. quietly stopped selling Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading in July, after customers said the products sickened their pets.

But they're safe for humans, right?

Slurp, slurp, slurp... Twisted Evil

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kianu

I guess WalMart gave up on their claim of only selling American Made products. Maybe it's their intent to force China out of production so that there's demand for a new American company to start production of the same products, thus creating jobs for the ole' US of A. Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

Kianu wrote:
I guess WalMart gave up on their claim of only selling American Made products. Maybe it's their intent to force China out of production so that there's demand for a new American company to start production of the same products, thus creating jobs for the ole' US of A. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, right...American made in China. I read somewhere that 80% of the crap they sell is made in China.

Of course, I do understand that America no longer manufactures most of the things they sell...but still. Sad

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:57 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: