Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Some companies penalize for health risks

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

Some companies penalize for health risks  Reply with quote  

[...]The businesses are deducting from employees' paychecks, adding insurance surcharges or offering insurance discounts or rebates only to low-risk workers.[...]

[...]The National Workrights Institute says employers adopting the charges are trying to control private behavior and amassing huge amounts of personal health information.[...]

Interesting approach to containing health care costs, but isn't it an infringement on a person's right to privacy...especially in the highly sensitive area of medical conditions? I wonder how much of a surcharge you'll pay for having genital herpes or chlamydia? Rolling Eyes

Article HERE

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Voilence IS the answer. Laughing

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

My employer charges higher healthcare plan premiums to smoking employees. They revoke coverage if the employee lies.

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

fortune cookie wrote:

Voilence IS the answer. Laughing

What was that about violets?

How about this...

Gimme the insurance or I give you the STD!

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Amigo

Goudron wrote:
My employer charges higher healthcare plan premiums to smoking employees. They revoke coverage if the employee lies.

And how can they tell they're lying? Do they give them regular, unannounced urine tests? Shocked

This is a VERY slippery slope, folks.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Amigo wrote:
Goudron wrote:

And how can they tell they're lying? Do they give them regular, unannounced urine tests? Shocked

Maybe the employer just smells their breath or their hair, or looks for nicotine stains on the fingers... Smile

'Course, I guess they'll let you in if you just chew tobacco, but that's just plain icky! Razz

Now, where's my spittoon? ....................................... PT!!!!!!

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wingnut

wow...

Canada = Free Healthcare

and I'm pretty sure it's against the laws up here for an employer to request health info like that. That's just brutal.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
leprrkan

Quote:
And how can they tell they're lying? Do they give them regular, unannounced urine tests?

"Mr. Orwell, you have a call holding on line one, a 'Mr. Big Brother'..." Confused

- "Bones"

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:37 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goudron

Amigo wrote:
Goudron wrote:

Of course not. They give random hair sample tests. One of my coworkers whose husband likes weed was mysteriously not at work for a couple of months secretly being "rehabilitated." No one could officially say she was coming back or not.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Amigo

Goudron wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Goudron wrote:

Of course not. They give random hair sample tests. One of my coworkers whose husband likes weed was mysteriously not at work for a couple of months secretly being "rehabilitated." No one could officially say she was coming back or not.

Jesus Christ! This is just too fucking Orwellian. I cannot believe that people are putting up with this shit.

And employers wonder why their employess show up with guns to blow them the fuck away? Duh!!

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:59 am   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Apparently no one watched the 60 minutes episode a couple three years ago regarding this practice.

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: