Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Hiya!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Arthur Dent

Hiya!  Reply with quote  

OK, I snagged a few minutes to come in here and say hi properly.

I'm in the chillier part of Manitoba, way up north at the end of the road (you really can't drive much farther than this). I teach High School Technology Courses and work 0.25 as the Network/Systems Administrator. I'm not 40, but I can see it from here, unlike civilization. I live where the waters run fresh and clean, the animals roam free, and you can walk for 100 miles and not see another person if you don't want to.

It's not the middle of nowhere, just slightly to the left, though.

I'm also a volunteer firefighter, track and field coach, father to a 10 year old who lives 1100kms away, step-father to a 7 year old for the past two years, and engaged to Fenchurch, the sweetest nurse in all of northern Manitoba.

I'm completely renovating my house I bought 2.5 years ago... plumbing, walls, electrical, insulation.... practically everything but the wall studs and foundation (it was a $1500 house with 4000sq ft on a 61' x 100' lot, worth every nickel).

We have 2 cats, 5 goldfish, two registered Siberian Huskies, 3 horses and two ponies (the livestock are currently down south at the other property, but will be moved up here in the spring). I AM NOT A COWBOY, no matter what Fenchurch wants to think and thinks she will be able to turn me into after she gets her lease on 20 acres up here approved.

I have been running my mouth off at my own blog since the fall of 2005. Want to know more? Go there and through the archives, or ask some questions Very Happy http://aweaponofmassinstruction.blogspot.com (the address without the "a" was already taken by some gun nut in the States).

I'm cleverly disguised as a mature responsible adult.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MrEMann

Sounds like you have a painful existence to me.

Welcome, didja bring pie?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Arthur Dent

Pain and pleasure are one and the same. Unfortunately, the only thing I can bake is Humble Pie (heh, so glad none of my students know I'm hanging out in here yet, they'd get a laugh out of that).

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

YAY! Another Canadian Very Happy Welcome to the board AD Smile

- "Bones"

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sgt_steve

I'm in the chillier part of Manitoba,...I've been to Manitoba. The concept of a 'chillier part' scares the crap out of me.

It was 89 degrees here today. Not them Canadian degrees, which would be even hotter, but our USAsian foreignheat degrees. In October in Michigan. This is just wrong.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arthur Dent

leprrkan wrote:
YAY! Another Canadian Very Happy Welcome to the board AD Smile

Oh, thank God. After reading the rules I was afraid I was going to do nothing but dodge Marines, Right-Wing religious nut-bars, and slabs of hot apple pie. Then I remembered Whose place this is, and the way he writes and figgured, yeah... the place must be loaded with fellow lefties.... prolly might as well be Canadians, or Russians from the good old days.

I'm so anti-right-wing by the way, I even "dress" on the left.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arthur Dent

sgt_steve wrote:
I'm in the chillier part of Manitoba,...I've been to Manitoba. The concept of a 'chillier part' scares the crap out of me.

Thanks Sgt. You can dress for the cold, but you can only take so much off in the heat before you realize that taking the skin off hurts (unless you are peeling someone else).

Current Conditions at my house:
8:00 PM CDT Sunday 7 October 2007

Cloudy
Temperature 4C Pressure/ Tendency 101.9 kPa↑ Visibility 15 km Humidity 93 % Dewpoint 3C Wind SE 8 km/h Yesterday Max Temp. 8.3C Min Temp. -3.6C Precip Total 1.5 mm

Tonight Clearing early this evening. Fog patches developing overnight. Low zero. Monday Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Fog patches dissipating early in the morning. High 7. Monday night Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers in the evening. Temperature steady near plus 3. Tuesday Sunny. High 10. Wednesday Sunny. Low minus 2. High 10. Thursday Sunny. Low zero. High 8.

And for those of you who have trouble with measuring things the way the rest of the world does:

8:00 PM CDT Sunday 7 October 2007

Cloudy
Temperature 40F Pressure/ Tendency 30.09 inches↑ Visibility 9 miles Humidity 93 % Dewpoint 38F Wind SE 5 mph Yesterday Max Temp. 46.9F Min Temp. 25.5F Precip Total 0.1 inches

5 Day Forecast from Environment Canada
Sunday night
Low 32F
Clearing
Monday
High 45F
POP 60%
Chance of showers
Monday night
Low 37F
POP 60%
Chance of showers

Tuesday High 50F Sunny
Wednesday High 50F Low 28F Sunny
Thursday High 46F Low 32F Sunny

Ask me how things are going in January when -43C and -44F get to gether as equals.... and then watch it dip to -50C when the diesel fuel turns to jelly and the natural gas stays liquid because it won't boil at atmospheric pressure. Still, no place I'd rather be.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

Welcome. So how'd you get up there in the first place? High School Technology Teachers don't just grow in the permafrost do they? Where exactly is there anyway? I'm originally from Winnipeg. Went as far north as Thompson, but there's more road after that (it was a long road just to get there).

I browsed through some of your blog, and checked your link to Fenchurch and I have to say, DAMN she's one fine hottie with a sword. If she could age a decade or two, she'd be a shoo-in for the Molly Michon role in any Pine Cove movie.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kennyjb

Welcome, Mr. Dent. It sounds like you live at the end of the universe, so I was just wondering if there really is a restaurant there?

You don't have to bake, store-bought pie is just fine. I prefer blueberry, but it's no longer in season. Anything that doesn't have meringue is fine with me. Wink

One rule we have here, even though it's not in the official rules, is that "canada" and "canadian" are always spelled with a lower-case c. Sure, go ahead and protest all you like, it will fall on deaf ears. What did you say? I'm sorry, I see your fingers typing but I can't hear the text.

Since you've already read the rules, I'm hoping that you are nekkid and sitting on your stack of the AG's books while you post here. And don't even try to use the "oh, it's too cold here to post nekkid" excuse. It's not our fault you live within shouting distance of the north pole! Shocked

Now sit back, relax, and get ready for Joe to perform his patented ACCSS upon you. It won't hurt, much. Keep your hands and feet inside the tram at all times, don't feed the animals (unless it's pie), and have a nice day, eh? Very Happy

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

psssssst, hey, Art... here's how you can get around the lower case letter rule:

canada

canadian

See, it's still lower case, but it does catch the eye, eh? Very Happy

Ahhhh, canada, home of the friendliest folk in the Northern Hemisphere Laughing Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zendao42

Very Happy Welcome AD!

One of my friends once had a car with your name-
but I digress...

Have some cocoa, it'll help soothe you after the strip search-
might warm you up a little, too...

Arthur Dent wrote:

Unfortunately, the only thing I can bake is Humble Pie.

Toss some chocolate chips in that & I'll take a slice-
however, Joe prefers Key lime pie-
probably better bring some since you're coming in from the great white north.... Wink

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Hey, Arthur!
Welcome! I am also a CANADIAN - although from a much warmer part of the country - the weather you've described above sounds like the middle of winter here - can you say 'golf in January?'...without snowshoes?

Good to see that the Canadian invasion of all things American is proceeding apace! Beaver Power!

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Aubie

Wingnut wrote:
Hey, Arthur!
Beaver Power!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Aubie wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
Hey, Arthur!
Beaver Power!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Wow! What'd that take, like, ten seconds? That has to be a record! hehehehe

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Aubie

Well, ya gotta watch out for those fast beavers!!!

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: