Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

This is fucked
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lisa M

This is fucked  Reply with quote  

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3722179

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

It's because we no longer have any kind of firearms control in this state. We have a huge population of native hunters and sportsmen, as well as many who come from out-of-state, the majority of whom are law abiding and responsible gun owners. But then you have the other group, they would be the ones selling AR-15's and AK-47's in the local paper, or the ones buying their disturbed teens high-powered weaponry Confused

- "Bones"

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
i8tokyo

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7157959

Only one of those weapons pictured is a real firearm. None the less, the mother and the father need their heads knocked together. Where are they in this kids life that they will provide a firearm but not be aware enough of whats going on with him. He didn't just wake up and start thinking about killing people. This has been building within him for awhile I'm sure. The kid might be whacked, but mom and pop can't be strung together well either.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am   View user's profile Send private message
Aubie

Seriously?

"Oh Tommy, what's that you're reading? How To Blow Shit Up and Kill People At Your School! That's so nice. No here, take this AK-47!"

She should be labeled Fucktard of the year for not knowing WTF her son was doing in his room then buying him guns.

It's called shitty parenting.

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Khoyin

i8tokyo wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7157959

The kid might be whacked, but mom and pop can't be strung together well either.

In this case, I agree, but I gotta say I am sick of the parents being blamed no matter what. Sometimes good parents have bad kids...sometimes bad parents have good kids. Its a weird world.
In *this* case yeah, as said, I agree, bad bad bad bad 'rents, but c'mon...its not *always* the parents. Just sayin is all.
*putting nose back in book*
Khoyin

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Aubie

I agree to a point. But when mommy and daddy don't notice junior's small arsenal in his bedroom, that's def a parent issue. Hell, my mom knew everything I had.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kar98

leprrkan wrote:
... or the ones buying their disturbed teens high-powered weaponry Confused

Like Sarah Brady.

Quote:
March 22, 2002 08:15:00

WASHINGTON - Gun-control advocate Sarah Brady bought her son a powerful rifle for Christmas in 2000 - and may have skirted Delaware state background-check requirements, the New York Daily News has learned.

Brady reveals in a new memoir that she bought James Brady Jr. a Remington .30-06, complete with scope and safety lock, at a Lewes, Del., gun shop.

"I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded it into my little car and drove home," she writes. "It seemed so incredibly strange: Sarah Brady, of all people, packing heat."

Brady, Sarah; Merrill McLoughlin (2002). A Good Fight. USA: Public Affairs. ISBN 1586481053, pages 223 and 224.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
i8tokyo

Aubie wrote:
I agree to a point. But when mommy and daddy don't notice junior's small arsenal in his bedroom, that's def a parent issue. Hell, my mom knew everything I had.

It's not that I'm a nosey person or infringe on my kids privacy but, I know who their friends are, what they like to do, their favorite toys, the names of their dolls/Bratz (evil things) the websites they go to, the music they listen to and the books they read and don't read. If either of the ones at home started going sideways, I'm pretty sure I'd notice. I think I'd pickup problems with the one away from home as well. It ain't rocket science, it parenting.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Khoyin

I do too. My kids call me nosey. Oh well. They will just have to remain annoyed.
Now just to clarify:
I said that sometimes bad parents have good kids.
I said that sometimes good parents have bad kids.
I said in this case, this was bad parenting.
I'm pretty sure we are all in agreement about this one...as i8tokyo said..it aint rocket science. Although I do wish it came with an instruction manual.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Instead of blaming the parents... let's blame his teacher!! oh, wait.......

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leprrkan

It's not the parents' fault, it's all of us... that's right society. We made the video games, comic books and movies that led the little darling's classmates to harass him, and he, in turn, to want to massacre them. You know that that is going to be the next act trotted out before us don't you? Games like "Halo 3" have so desensitized today's youth that they feel that killing is a game. Or the new "50 Cent" album has lyrics that glorify murder. Or any of the other bullshit things they come up with to explain what amounts to insanity.
Look at the kid in Cleveland, cops called to his house 5 or 6 times in the last few months, kids warning the school administrator that something was wrong, a history of mental health and violence issues... anyone else hear the ticking? Apparently not.
A lot of people go through rough shit, some to a horrific degree. A lot of people are bullied and hate school because of how miserable they are made to feel there by their peers. How many of us thought of killing someone at least once during our teen years? I'm not being flip, I'll honestly admit there were several people I would have liked to have knocked off; but my brain, thankfully, has that little switch that says "bad idea, don't do it". Some people don't have that, or lose it somewhere along the line. Until we can fix that, we won't see an end to school shootings, work place shootings, random violence, etc.

- "Bones"

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kar98

Oh, and btw: BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
police on Wednesday found the rifle, about 30 air-powered guns, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks in the boy's bedroom, Castor said.

There was ONE .22lr rifle, and a crapload of airsoft "guns".

Of course 30 toy guns make for a nice photo op Smile

Quote:
homemade grenades: plastic containers filled with pellets to which gunpowder could be added

Let me repeat: BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lara

Ummm... forgive me because I only read the first paragraph of the article before I started wondering if maybe grandma and grandpa were blood relatives:

A troubled teenager accused of plotting a school attack built up a stash of weapons with the help of his mother, authorities said Friday. Michele Cossey, 46, was arrested Friday on charges of illegally buying her home-schooled son...

Does anyone see the problem here?

Of course I read on and figured it out, but still it was freakin' funny at first.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

That was my first thought too, Lara, because they did a teaser on the news "Up next, home-schooled teen plans school attack..." Laughing Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aubie

leprrkan wrote:
It's not the parents' fault, it's all of us... that's right society. We made the video games, comic books and movies that led the little darling's classmates to harass him, and he, in turn, to want to massacre them. You know that that is going to be the next act trotted out before us don't you? Games like "Halo 3" have so desensitized today's youth that they feel that killing is a game. Or the new "50 Cent" album has lyrics that glorify murder. Or any of the other bullshit things they come up with to explain what amounts to insanity.
Look at the kid in Cleveland, cops called to his house 5 or 6 times in the last few months, kids warning the school administrator that something was wrong, a history of mental health and violence issues... anyone else hear the ticking? Apparently not.
A lot of people go through rough shit, some to a horrific degree. A lot of people are bullied and hate school because of how miserable they are made to feel there by their peers. How many of us thought of killing someone at least once during our teen years? I'm not being flip, I'll honestly admit there were several people I would have liked to have knocked off; but my brain, thankfully, has that little switch that says "bad idea, don't do it". Some people don't have that, or lose it somewhere along the line. Until we can fix that, we won't see an end to school shootings, work place shootings, random violence, etc.

Oh, I'm totally disagreeing. Sorry Lep.

This 'video game' stuff is yet another step in the pussification of America. Yeah, video games and movies are bad, but you know what, who buys this shit for their kids? The parents. It all goes back to the parent's not wanting to parent. I've seen people bring their way underage kids to movies they have no right to. I've seen people buy Grand Theft Auto for their kids and then show them how to kill the hookers.

They're kids. You buy them their shit. You live in the house with them. Don't give them the 50 Cent album or Halo 3. Do your job and say no to your child. Goes back to the Fruit Loops thread. Tell your 7-year-old 'no.'

I was bullied in school, but I learned life isn't fair and adapted. I survived as did most every one of us. Yes we may have some issues but we're all doing pretty fine. We're alive. We learned life's not fair. We didn't become a whack job and kill a whole classroom of people. We don't just sit there and whine about how life sucks because we want everyone to take care of us. Maybe its because we knew respect and responsibility for our actions, concepts most kids don't grasp now a days.

Now, abuse at the home is way different than a video game. Those kids can and do have issues. But most of the kids that get all whacky don't seem to have it so bad. Hell, mom buys them some guns. If a kid has serious issues (abuse, sexual abuse, etc) that's different, but a video game defense is ridiculous to me. But if you're gonna use it, it still comes back to the parents.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: