Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

This is fucked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
leprrkan

Quote:
Oh, I'm totally disagreeing. Sorry Lep.

That's okay, you can disagree with me, it just makes you unequivocally wrong Laughing Laughing

Actually, the whole first part of the post blaming video games and music was sarcasm. But I'm sure that the talking heads will be trotting those statistics out any day now.
I listen to Eminem and 50 Cent, it doesn't make me want to shoot anyone. I like games like "House of the Dead" and "Silent Scope". but I know it's just a game. So do 99% of the rest of the people in this country. The 1% who don't are the right-wing lunatics and the people who are already defective mentally (a slightly different group from the RWL), which is how they can believe that a game is real life.

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

Uh, did you guys see the picture of the kid? I mean, if you need any indication of the parenting going on here, let's talk, 14 and over 300lbs, and home schooled. I'm thinking the values may be, uh, skewed. (You're with the kid all day, how about, at some point, suggesting he put the Cheetos down and back the fuck away?)

I was given a .22 rifle when I was 12. I somehow managed not to perpetrate a school massacre. in fact, it never left my closet unless I was going outside the city limits where it was legal to shoot a firearm. Although in Ohio, we were way ahead of our time -- I saw a kid get shot in the boys room in 7th grade. (Really)

Despite my left of Lenin politics, I'm not a big proponent of gun control -- I just wish that people who vote that issue would calm the fuck down and not sacrifice all of their other rights for fear of losing their 2nd Amendment rights. Armed or not, a fraidy cat is a fraidy cat.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kar98

chris wrote:
I'm not a big proponent of gun control -- I just wish that people who vote that issue would calm the fuck down and not sacrifice all of their other rights for fear of losing their 2nd Amendment rights.

That's what freaking baffles me. While preaching that the 2nd amendment protects all the other ones and focusing on that one, everything else is getting ignored and eroded away.

Although this might just be my skewed perception, but I'm under the impression that those groups have been rather quiet recently (or maybe I'm just not going to ar15.com anymore, because that's where many of these nutbags hang out), and ...shit...lost my train of thought here. Anyway, if you'd like to believe internet polls, "all of the BoR, and all amendments, and nothing else" proponents are making major headway these days. I'll believe that in 2008, when Ron Paul becomes POTUS
Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Khoyin

[quote="chris"]Uh, did you guys see the picture of the kid? I mean, if you need any indication of the parenting going on here, let's talk, 14 and over 300lbs, and home schooled. I'm thinking the values may be, uh, skewed. (You're with the kid all day, how about, at some point, suggesting he put the Cheetos down and back the fuck away?)

I gotta say something about this. The kids overweight and thats an indicator of *values*? Not genetics maybe?
These parents as I have said before obviously are not what I would call good parents but c'mon. The kid being a moose is *not* an indicator of parenting! Or values! He's fat. Thats all. My daughters overweight, in pre-med, getting good grades, and eats better than I do and exercises. I get so sick of the prejudice against anyone fat.
If you are fat, you eat cheetos all day, sit on the couch and have no values, judgement, or worth. Riiiiight.

Come to think of it, I eat cheetos all day, usually have my nose in a book, and am a twig. Go me! I mean if you can get away with it....*snicker* Now, you all stay away from my cheetos! Mine! Mine!

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

Quote:
Uh, did you guys see the picture of the kid? I mean, if you need any indication of the parenting going on here, let's talk, 14 and over 300lbs, and home schooled. I'm thinking the values may be, uh, skewed. (You're with the kid all day, how about, at some point, suggesting he put the Cheetos down and back the fuck away?)

Did you see his mom? That large apple didn't fall far from the tree.

It's not necessarily gun control that I wish we'd get, it's common sense around guns, and I don't mean that fucking "Eddie Eagle" crap from the NRA either.

Quote:
If you are fat, you eat cheetos all day, sit on the couch and have no values, judgement, or worth. Riiiiight.

Well, yeah, at least that's the excuse I'm gonna use Laughing Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kar98

leprrkan wrote:
It's not necessarily gun control that I wish we'd get, it's common sense around guns, and I don't mean that fucking "Eddie Eagle" crap from the NRA either.

Whatcha got against that?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Khoyin

As long as you stay away from my cheetos!

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

Quote:
Whatcha got against that?

It's not a matter of being against it. It's just that I don't think using a cartoon spokesman to teach gun safety is the best bet. It still smacks of making guns a plaything, which they most definitely are not. When we had BRM lab (basic rifle marksmanship), we had to learn all about the weapon (in this case the GI M-16 rifle) before we ever even laid eyes on one. Then we learned about how it functioned, how to make it shoot properly and how to avoid putting a hole in yourself or someone else unless you intended one to be there. It may have ben tedious, and may not be the optimal approach for teaching kids, but it instilled a respect for the weapon and, when the time came and we had live lead in it, we didn't fuck around with it.
I think they can teach safety around weapons with a real human much more effectively than they can with a cartoon bird. Not that cartoon birds don't make excellent spokespeople, look at Toucan Sam, after all. However, I will openly admit that my opinion is somewhat biased as I don't like the NRA. I have no problem with guns (I think a lot of guns are pretty fucking cool), and I have no problem with responsible gun owners (key word = responsible), but I don't like they way they do things.
But that's just my opinion, which is, suprisingly, not worth a lot Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leprrkan

Quote:
As long as you stay away from my cheetos!

To paraphrase Mr. Heston: "You'll get my Cheetos when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kar98

leprrkan wrote:
I think they can teach safety around weapons with a real human much more effectively than they can with a cartoon bird. Not that cartoon birds don't make excellent spokespeople, look at Toucan Sam, after all.

How about this one then?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leprrkan

Is that for real? I would so buy a T-shirt with that on it... or better yet, what a name for a band "The Sanitation Buzzards" Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kar98

My design.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leprrkan

My opinion of you is in a continual state of flux, Kar Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kar98

leprrkan wrote:
My opinion of you is in a continual state of flux, Kar Very Happy

That's acceptable Smile

I'll send you the hi res image if you want to put it on a tee shirt.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leprrkan

Thanks, that'd be awesome Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: