Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

NaNoWriMo!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lloydface

NaNoWriMo!  Reply with quote  

I'm doing National Write A Novel Month,

It begins today, 1st of November!

http://www.nanowrimo.org

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
sugarraydodge

So, it's almost that time of year again. I was successful in 2006, and I tried last year, but I was so creatively drained from spending the summer working on Son of Santa. This year I am in a similar situation because I spent the last several months working on and polishing TTD, but I had a goal at the beginning of the year that I wanted to write two complete (if short) novels. The goal is 50,000 words (which all my novels tend to be) in 30 days (which I have only accomplished once.) It should be interesting.

So, enough about me. Is anybody else up for this? It starts Nov 1.

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

I've heard of this but don't know too much about it. The site is presently down (12:20pm, Eastern). Can someone give me the gist of it? You write 50K words of a novel in one month's time, correct? Do you sign up somewhere? Is there a prize??? Very Happy

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

The prize is the joy of completing a novel in 30 days, which isn't much of a prize while you're doing it, more of an insane headache, but when it's overwith it's pretty amazing and fulfilling. The average WPD (words per day) you are supposed to write is 1,666.6666(to infinity.) When I am making my schedule, I always round up to 1,700 wpd. In 2006 I finished on the 26th of November, and it was pretty awesome.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
18Rabbit

I really should. I signed up two years ago but never wrote a lick. Any time I sit down to start writing I get overwhelmed by the scale of the task and end up slinking off to go play a game or something else less scary.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poofiemus

NaNo site's back up, btw.

And yes, I am SO doing NaNoWriMo! Very Happy I've been looking forward to it all year. I'm even MLing because I'm just insane like that. My first year was 2006 and I won, but last year I only got in 24K and that 24K sucked like a horseshoe. Unless something happens and I spend November doped up on Percocet or something, I see no reason why I can't hit 50K this year. Very Happy

And Rabbit, you should try it this time. Remember, even if you don't win, so long as you try, you get something out of it. With NaNo, the journey matters much more than the end result anyway. So go, check your regional board for the date of the kickoff party, and prepare for writing madness!

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

I might try this... if I didn't actually have to sign up for it... if it wasn't in November...
if I thought I had a chance in hell of finishing anything with dialogue, like, ever...

Oh well, guess I'll wait for the free verse poetry group...

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poofiemus

Well, you don't technically HAVE to sign up, but if you don't you can't see your local regional forum or get the pretty winner's certificate.

A lot of people are busy as hell in November--especially in my region, as most of us are college students and November's right before finals--but we do it anyway. In fact, a lot of people do better when they're busy, because it helps keep them from procrastinating.

If you're worried about the quality of your dialogue, that's not really the point of NaNo. Just so long as it's there, the quality doesn't really matter. You can fix it in December. Besides, you can't edit a blank page.

*puppy eyes* C'mooooooon.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

Poofie, the challenge of it is certainly tempting. But my stomach clenches at the thought of sitting down on Nov. 1, without any ideas having simmered in my brain for a few months, no character names, no idea of a story, and only a surety of how crap it's gonna be. Vewwy Scawwy! Yet...oddly thrilling.

OK, who all here's gonna sign up?

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

Let's see...

I haven't won anything for my writing since the 70s-
very few have even commented on my more recent attempts,
or dismissed it as "Well, maybe you were good at essays"... Rolling Eyes

November = worst part of fall = depression
Opening myself up to strangers picking me apart now is suicidal at best...

Dialogue, I don't do- the only attempt I ever made was in the "Pie & Pirates" contest, if you wanna look it up-
not one person even acknowledged my entry, so fuck making the effort for something I despise...

Don't even get me started on puppies... Rolling Eyes

I might be doing some rants eventually but I would in no way call that a novel-
again, doing dialogue at all is a deal-breaker for me...

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

It is possible to write a novel without dialogue.

Theoretically, at least.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

^Yeah. We don't need no stinking dialogue.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
18Rabbit

Actually, writing a 50k word novel in 30 days without using any dialogue would make for an interesting challenge.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poofiemus

If some guy in 2006 could write a whole novel from the perspective of a sentient lemon, you could certainly write a novel with no dialogue. (No, I'm not kidding! Someone actually wrote a first-person story with a sentient lemon as their MC.)

If you don't have ideas, or only vague ideas, there's entire massive threads of plots, sub-plots, titles, and first lines people put up for adoption, as well as rather kooky dares. And the NaNo community is very friendly when it comes to acting as a sounding board for plots with problems.

Really the only time having no plot is a problem is when you happen to think that deliberately going in with no plot is a good idea. ^^; Yeah, I tried that last year and that was rather stupid. If I'd thrown some vague plot together in October I would have fared just fine, but noooooo, I just had to do the dumb thing and deliberately avoid plotting anything out.

Seriously, it's totally possible to write a dialogue-less novel or to pick up a plot over the course of October. And even when you don't win it's incredibly fun.

Listen to that little voice in your head that keeps insisting, "Do it. Dooo iiiiit. . ."

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yangnome

I've been doing Nano, sionce 2004. In 2004, I started the first day, wrote 7k that night and never opened the novel manuscript again. I came back in 2005, with an altered idea from the first year and knocked out 78k words in 9 days. I've particpated each year since then and been successful as well. I've also ML'd for the Monterey, CA area for the last four years (if you include this year.)

Right before last year's nano, I discovered Chris' books. I picked up Lamb in the bookstore and read it--it was different, but sort of related to what I was going to write. During the month of November, I not only wrote my story, Satan Sleeps in a Canopy Bed, but also read through Chris' entire catalogue. It was an enjoyable November.

This year, I think, will present my greatest challenge yet. I don't have a solid idea yet (though I do have a title and a possible idea I'm not completely sold on). I'm buying a house that is supposed to close escrow on 10/25--of course it needs some work done on it that will eat substantially into November, not to mention the actual act of moving. I'm also trying to find new work. Needless to say this year will be a challenge. I thought about not doing it (or at least stepping down as ML), but when I received the email asking if I was going to ML again, I couldn't say no. I think I have Nano in my blood, and I'm not quite sure what I'd do without it.

If you haven't done it yet, I highly encourage you to give it a whirl. You might suck, but you never know until you sit down and try. I know it has been a rewarding experience for me. I can't work without a tight deadline, so this helped me get where I need to be.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: