Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Planning
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Deive

Planning  Reply with quote  

Well Laveric and I are actually taking the effort to look into how much places to hold a wedding might cost us. On saturday I'm going to a bridal show. Laveric will be going to a computer show. I think he's getting the better deal but I'm not sure. Here's to hoping that we actually get married sometime before I die.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Have fun with it, Delve. I recommend picking the date carefully. I should have known better than to get married on Friday the 13th. Not a good omen. Eh. It lasted almost 20 years, so that's not so bad. Smile

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ginjg

WoW! Something I know about.

the only real thing to consider when choosing the date is your estimated cycle.

January, late February and Mid July are slow times for most venues, so you can often get a better deal. The same for afternoon events. If you're going for summer or early fall an outdoor reception at a local park is always nice.

You can save both money and stress if you have a huge guest list for the ceremony by having an afternoon wedding at a church or park with a mini reception of cake and champagne punch at the same location immediately following the ceremony then having the all out party later in the evening for the select group that you really want to party with.
If your budget allows, a live band always trumps a DJ. Most DJs make the reception feel like a prom. Remember that a band needs to have a broad range of styles in their repertoire if you're going for a reception that includes extended family, friends and work associates.

Jo will have the inside track on which flowers are the best buy for the month you choose.

Beware all the bells and whistles that the bridal show will try to convince you that you must have. All you really need is Laveric, a couple of witnesses and a good group of people to celebrate with. The rest is just decor.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Also, don't get married on a holiday-
my ex's second wedding was on St. Patrick's Day & he's a drunk-
another friend got married on New Year's Eve...

Point is, they're divorced now & a whole holiday is tainted-
but if there's a date that just means something to you, go for it!

Deive wrote:

Here's to hoping that we actually get married sometime before I die.

Wow, that's what I say- about a lot of things, not just marriage...

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

Deive, I highly suggest you get Ginjg's number and have a chat session with her. Wedding planning is her life. I have been to many weddings that the Garnitz family has been involved in and between her and her fabulous husband, they can give you expert advise that will save you time and money. Also, Ginjg is super nice and would probably more than thrilled to give you her suggestions.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

And since she lives 2,000 miles away, you can be sure she's not gonna try and sell you anything.

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fortune cookie

Re: Planning  Reply with quote  

Deive wrote:

Well, yeah. Cause that would make Lav some kind of Matronmonial Minded
Necrophile.
And that just waaayyy wierd, even for here. Shocked

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

fortune cookie wrote:
Deive wrote:

Well, yeah. Cause that would make Lav some kind of Matronmonial Minded
Necrophile.
And that just waaayyy wierd, even for here. Shocked

Dunno, ever heard "COLD ETHYL"? Wink

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Butch the Vizsla

I would get married in Vegas, only if they could actually promise that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. But they can't, so I won't.

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Deive

I already hate weddings. I have no idea what my money goal is but real cheap. I can't find a dress I like. I can't nail down a date. It looks like we need a wedding cake and a grooms cake if we want to get the cake we want and who the hell pays 300 for a cake. The second you say wedding everything goes through the roof. AHHHHHH

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Hey, I got a friend that's an ordained minister that works at a tattoo shop-
whaddya say, boardello gathering/theme wedding? Wink

Seriously, elope & just have a kick-ass party later- that's what I'd do! Cool

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sockling

so wait, you're saying you DON'T want a zombie wedding...?

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Save money? Four words: Justice of the Peace.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goudron

Would it be cheaper if you say you're throwing a bachelor party? I think those come with giant cakes for free. You could forego the stripper, but imagine the excitement s/he might bring to the occasion.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

It's your wedding and you can pick and choose which traditions you want. Seriously, your wedding is a celebration of your relationship, not a competition.

I still suggest an afternoon wedding, cake and punch reception to follow.
-Get a nice sheet cake from your favorite bakery and have a relative bake a small tier cake for the cutting. Wilton sells the graduated cake pan set. Top that with a few edible flowers (no, you don't have to eat them). You don't need a groom's cake. Most couples here forgo it.
-If it's held at a church hall, the women's group will likely provide the help for a small donation. Or the local technical college probably has a food services program that you can tap for affordable servers. Just a few - a cake cutter, a punch server and couple of busmen and one extra to serve the older guests.
-If the church or hall doesn't have dishes and linens, you can rent them very inexpensively. The best part is all they need is rinsing before they're returned and the linens just shook out.

Then have a bash with your friends when you get back from your honeymoon.

The dress is so personal. Choose one you like, it doesn't have to be a formal gown.
Kianu looked at every gown in town, some exorbitantly expensive. Most just overpowered her and she finally settled on a lovely gown that fit her like a glove and made her look like a nymph and it was a reasonable price. But it was constructed such that the little size 0 woman had to wear a corset and she nearly passed out from the constriction. It put a big damper on the first half of the party. My dress was lavender, tea length with long sleeves, a tie belt and a flounce, just a pretty dress but comfortable.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: