Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Goddam Robots!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Goddam Robots!  Reply with quote  

Ok, so I started that Robot Girlfriend novel I said I was gonna in the the whole robot-girlfriend thread. I am already 10,000 words in and I am really digging it. The problem is is that the group of people I send my passages out to for feedback are all saying that it is a really creepy premise and that they are really freaked out that I would even write about such an unnatural thing.

Number 1: I am already 10,000 words in, and when i cross that thresh-hold I usually see the story through to the end. Number 2: I really, really, really, really like this story. I like the main character and i like the robot girlfriend. I want my audience to want them to end up together, but all I am getting is "I sure hope Stan finds a real girl and ditches the robit." WHAT?! You're supposed to like the GODDAM ROBOT!

I know people who say that you only have to write for yourself, but others say that you have to write for your audience (limited as it may be.) For my last two novels, I have written for me and I have gotten generally positive feedback. But if I write for myself for this one, i risk losing the small audience I have built just because they can't get past the subject matter and enjoy the story. And if I write exactly what they want to read, the story will suck. It's quite the pickle.

I'm going to keep writing this thing, but I just needed to vent. Thanks Smile

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

Dude, you keep on keeping on and for fuck's sake, don't show anyone your shit till you've finished it! God knows, this writing schtick's hard enough w/out additional angst from well-meaning folk. Just do what you gotta do, write what comes and see where it takes you. Let the surprises come from within, not from without!

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten

I have learned to not really listen to people early on, I try to keep my work away from people. I'm not saying that they have bad opinions, but it's best to not really listen to them. Don't let them turn away from the book.

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
urhangovergirl

I think that people finding it creepy makes it even cooler!

seriously.

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

But we are all only robots!

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Are these complainers the kind of people that only listen to the voices in their own heads?

If so, don't worry about it- do as they do, not as they say...

Hey, where does the pickle come into it?
Sorry, that was the voice in my head- but I'm not feeding it again before I go to bed...

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

lisa wrote:
But we are all only robots!

I'm not an only robot. I have a robot brother and a robot sister.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Effingee

Most people have been pretty well socialized to the idea of what a relationship "should" be. Anytime you break the mold of the traditional love story, people are going to find it weird and probably a little uncomfortable. I think you just have to take a chance and push people out of their comfort zone a little bit. I certainly wasn't prepared to read about whaley girl hand jobs in Fluke, but I think it worked out okay.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poofiemus

People like the robot/computer Chii in the anime/manga Chobits, so it's not impossible. Of course, part of Chobits' charm was that the male lead (who fell in love with Chii) spent a good part of the series pondering whether it was okay to love her in the first place, and that gives the more pedestrian part of the audience something to latch their empathy onto. Of course, it helps that Chii is huggably cute.

At any rate, for now, ignore the criticism. It is possible to make it work, but that's probably fine-tuning for later edits. Or rewrites. But for now, just go for it.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Watch the humanity of robotica in Bicentennial Man to remind yourself that love between people and robots is not necessarily creepy.

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Watching The Wheels

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Watch the humanity of robotica in Bicentennial Man to remind yourself that love between people and robots is not necessarily creepy.

But then further remind yourself that robot in question is played by Robin Williams, making it extra creepy. Cool

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Especially if you saw POPEYE... Shocked

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

if people are creeped out, it means that it made them feel something. This is success.

Now stop being so goddamn needy and stop sending things out to read with only 10,000 words done (not "only", but you know what I mean).

Write on, creppy robot-girlfriend writer dude.

B

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
beetleneck

Dude is this Robot Chick your private fantasy. I kind think she is. huh, huh, euh, ahh, excusr me,

Do she wanta be in Hustler, Playboy, Penthouse, well then you let her take you there. Take her take you to the beaver market.

Man that is the drill, she got the thrill, you got the bill, lighten up, look out the window that ain't where it is happening. Ain't no character bitch of mine goin'a tell me what to do.

Man sometimes the shit we feel is just for our own pleasure. Like candy raining down from Heaven. Remember this, After we drain we stain .

Dude, you goin'a let some bitch of bolts tell you where you hang your jock strap. If so then you just wet your sheets and keep on dream'n on.

Don't you let the high priced vibrater take you away from what you hav ih say, You ring her bells and

Post Fri May 23, 2008 4:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

Ray, "Pygmalion" one of the Greek myths was about a man who creates the love of his life from marble, he loves her so much the gods deign to turn her into a woman, George Bernard Shaw wrote a play about it (they also made a stage musical and a movie based on the concept but with a different twist..."My Fair Lady").
There is also an indie film called "Lars and the Real Girl", which is supposed to be fantastic, that features a guy who falls in love with his mannequin... I don't think it comes alive though.
And along those lines, you have the 80's movie "Mannequin", where she does become human.

My point being that while they may not be robots, the concept of humans falling in love with something that can be considered pseudo-human is there, so don't worry if some of the response you get is people saying it's creepy. Creepy works... look at the romance between Clarice Starling and Dr. Lecter in "Hannibal" or between James Spaeder and Maggie Gyllanhal in "Secretary".

- "Bones"

Post Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: