Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Music  Reply with quote  

I am sitting her procrastinating and thinking of ways to make the Pope mad with my lovely new book and I started to wonder what music makes you tick. What is it that you put into your CD player that makes your brain function like it has been at an espresso bar drinking coffees and eating amphetamines? This is the music that wakes the brain and makes it dance. My list is 15 but yours can be any length. There are no rules.

My list of music that inspires me…
1. Tom Waits (live Bootlegs)
2. Van Morrison (live Bootlegs)
3. John Coltrane
4. Dave Matthews – AOL Sessions (Bootleg)
5. David Gray (live Bootlegs)
6. The Art of Noise – The Seduction of Claude Debussy
7. Nina Simone (anything)
8. Elvis Costello - Spike
9. The Beautiful South
10. Miles Davis – Bitches Brew
11. John McLaughlin and Shakti
12. Bob Dylan – Blood on the Tracks
13. Joni Mitchell – Blue
14. Natalie Merchant (anything)
15. Massive Attack

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

Re: Music  Reply with quote  

I'll limit myself to one artist, because I'm as devoted to turning people onto him as I am about turning them on to Chris. Besides, given the "challenge" in this thread, this guy has succeeded in inspiring me for over 34 years now, and that's quite an achievement for anyone.

The name is Bruce Cockburn, and he's thought of as "Canada's biggest secret." He's a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and a virtuoso at all three. There are a significant number of us Cockburn freaks out there (a large percentage of them fellow musicians of the rich and famous persuasion) who think he's the best songwriter on the planet.

What makes him cool (and thus possibly of interest to folks here) is primarily his use of language and secondarily his choice of subject matter. He's just an amazing writer, English-wise -- a true poet. But it's often what he chooses to write about, and how, that makes him really interesting. Bruce travels. He goes to Central America during the height of the Reagan Hysteria years and sees what's really happening there. And he writes about what he thinks about in those places. He goes to Baghad, just last year. And he writes about what he thinks about there. And while he doesn't shirk from saying what these places are really like and what's going down there, he *always* manages to find -- in the darkest scene -- something of hope and light.

THAT inspires me. It's the idea that someone can choose *not* to bury their head in the sand, can choose to walk through life with eyes wide open, and can emerge not only not depressed by the world, but full of hope for it. It may make me a wuss, but I do find that inspiring.

And, of course, this political "world" stuff is only a small part of what he writes about. Bruce also is famous in music community for writing the best love songs ever written, and he has been known to actually be funny from time to time. Not as funny as Chris, but that's another realm of virtuosity altogether... Smile

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
creepy

i have to have hard rock playing when i'm painting, if not an episode of buffy on in the backround.
a.f.i., red hot chili peppers, tiger army, audioslave, a perfect circle, tool, and if i'm feeing like i need to mellow out from all that it'd be tori amos or sarah maclachlan.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Creepy,
When I used to paint I would listen to anything with a sustaining feel to it. The Chilli Peppers were good for that. I enjoyed their older stuff more than their newer but I was much younger then. Up Lift Mofo Party Plan was a good album. Bitches Brew is good as well. It is very funky without lyrics.

UNC,

I think it is cool that one artist does all that for you. I cannot do that. Each artist I mentioned stirs emotion from one degree to another for me. Tom Waits can go from the song A House Where Nobody Lives to 16 Shells from a Thirty Ought 6, Van Morrison from Sweet Thing to Cleaning Windows, Dave Matthews from Ants to Oh, David Gray goes from Babylon (a deceptively happy or sad song) to This Year’s Love, Nina Simone from Little Girl Blue to In the Morning, Elvis Costello from What’s so funny about, to Tramp the Dirt Down, Massive Attack from Protection to The Big Wheel. I like diversity in music. I am not saying Bruce Cockburn isn’t. I have never listened to him, although I may have and not known it. The people on the rest of the list are obvious in my opinion. Joni Mitchell’s album Blue could depress even the most evil clown. Coltrane could make invigorate the listless. The Art of Noise is something all to itself, a mastery of music without boundaries like Coltrane. The Beautiful South were much more brainy than BNL, 36D. Miles belongs in his own category. John McLaughlin’s guitar playing can make the most accomplished played crawl into the corner and cry with envy. Dylan is a master of words. Music and satire, thank you to Chris and Vonnegut, rule my life. Along with teaching, art, comedy, politics, being lazy, not being lazy, Camel Lights, conversations, and so on…

Ta,

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
UNC, I think it is cool that one artist does all that for you. I cannot do that. Each artist I mentioned stirs emotion from one degree to another for me.

Tell me about it. Very Happy You're talkin' to a guy with a couple of thousand CDs.

Each artist, each album has a "purpose" and a "mindset" and can be used as the proper soundtrack for something. Being time-limited, I just had to make a decision about who to rave about, so I raved about the guy who's inspired me the longest...

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Katie

Since I listen to classical, early music, folk, rock, blues, alternative, and weirda ass shit that defies category, a list would probably take more time than I have. So here are just a few:
Early Music:
Baltimore Consort
Piffaro
Istampie
Cantiga/New World Renaissance Band (they could fit into early or RenFaire bands)
The Harp Consort

Classical:
Stravinsky (his primativist stuff)
Beethoven symphonies
Bach cello suites
Copland
Respighi's Pines of Rome

American Folk:
Dar Williams
Hugh Blumenfeld
Karen Savoca
The Nields
Moxy Fruvous (not quite folk...they defy category)

European Folk/RenFaire
Altan
Kilbrannan
The Crimson Pirates
Empty Hats

Well I'll stop there for now. I could go on, but I have to do work type stuff.
*^_^*
Katie

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:37 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ferrit Leggings

Beethoven symphonies
Bach cello suites (Douglas Adams would be happy)
Copland

what good taste, Katie.

On another note...
Have your heard Moxy Fruvous's Green Eggs and Ham? Laughing

I am not too into chamber music or folk music beyond John Prine or early Dylan so I am not too familiar with the other stuff you mentioned but it is interesting seeing what music people are in to. I do like Kodo who are from Japan and Native American early music is cool as well.

For the past year or so I have been listening to a lot of bootlegs. I do think my most treasured Bootleg is of Santana and John McLaughlin live in 73. They go through A love Supreme on it. McLaughlin is a superb guitar player. I have heard people say that listening to him made them quit trying to play.

Anyway, way you have good tase in music.

Ta,

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Wow, music questions are so tough to answer. I love so much.

When I'm writing lyrics and my own songs I get inspiration for lots of things. But generally the following stir my creative soul.

Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five
Ryan Adams
Damien Rice
The Beatles
Crowded House
Oasis
Longpigs
Blur
Coldplay
Del Amitri
Eels
Gomez
Jeff Buckley
Matchbox 20
Madness
Radiohead
Paul Weller
Simon & Garfunkel
Stevie Wonder
Turin Brakes
Richard Ashcroft (The Verve)

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
abbynormal92243

I've recently discovered Ella Fitzgerald, Velvet Underground, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Bottle Rockets, and Jayhawks, and others I can't recall right now.

My fiance's got probably 8,000 CDs, tapes, and LPs and has taken it upon himself to educate me. (um. when I met him I was happy with Yanni and Fresh Aire)

I'm inspired and moved by the blues, but don't know enough to say WHO, precisely.

any recommendations?

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sara Leigh

BB King is one of the greatest. Then there's John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, whom you've heard. Johnny Lang is pretty amazing. He's got a really old voice, but he's only in his early 20s (I think). Keb Mo is a contemporary bluesman who's really nice to listen to. I have a CD I've been listening to in the car lately, Riding with the King, BB King and Eric Clapton. I love it. Had it for a while, just rediscovered it. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I come up with more, I'll post again.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ferrit Leggings

any recommendations?

Abby
Blues music is great and generally cheap to listen to. You can pick up an old Muddy Waters CD or Howlin’ Wolf in the bargain bin at half price because most teenagers don’t know where any of the music that they are listening to came from.

My Blues Recommendations…
I would recommend Robert Johnson obviously. One of the originators of the blues, his style takes a bit of getting used to but it is well worth it. How can you say no to someone that sold his soul to play guitar? Muddy Waters is another one that is great to listen to. If you want both a mix of new and old together pick up Muddy and The Wolf. It has both Hollin’ Wolf and Muddy together with guests like Eric Clapton and many others. John Lee Hooker can be a hard one. His later stuff is more easier to listen to for new comers. I have an early recording of his from, I believe early fifties, and it sounds like he is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. The album is called Mississippi River Delta Blues in case you were wondering. One of his best late recordings is Don’t Look Back and another is The Healer. Both have a lot of guests on them. One of the guitarists that Sara did not mention was Stevie Ray Vaughn. A warning, if you don’t care much for Hendrix then you might not like SRV. He did do a great album with Albert King called In Session. If you like Hendrix then he has a compilation album out called Blues that has two great versions of Hear My Train a Comin’ on it. One version is acoustic and the other is electric.

Women Singers…

Nina Simone is a personal and perennial favourite. A great intro to her work is Sugar in My Bowl 1967-1972 the very best of. It has many great songs on it. Her version of Here Comes the Sun is wonderful. The Cowboy Junkies are superb as well. Their First album Whites off Earth Now is all blues music. Their later albums are more abstract but I would recommend all of their music except maybe Open and Miles from Home. They are more for the hardcore fan. If you want to go old style then you can’t beat Billie Holiday.

A personal question….
Does he really have 8000 CD’s? I am so jealous. Most people in my family think I am nuts because I have over 500 and I lost count after that. Bootlegs are what I am getting into now. I have over forty Dave Matthews CD’s, it is crazy. As I am typing I am downloading my 20th Jack Johnson CD, the surfer not the blues singer or the boxer, and World Party. My problem is that I don’t have a player in my vehicle. I have been playing a lot of Jazz for my preschool class. I think Raffi sucks and most other children’s music also. My class last year loved Dave Matthews and Bob Marley. Anyway, I hope my list helps.

Ta,

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
abbynormal92243

Ferrit Leggings:

you know, I'm not really sure HOW many he has---all I know is that 3 walls of his living room are lined with LPs and CDs. Nearly floor to ceiling.
He loves bootlegs, too--particularly Elvis Costello, I think.
He always takes it as a challenge when I turn my nose up to some type of music. (My first reaction to the Bottle Rockets: "They're TWANGY! Eww.")
So he played them, and other ones, pointing out what makes them great. The last thing I turned my nose up at was reggae music.
*grin*
I've since changed my tune. It's a good lesson in openmindedness.
I'm amused by how stubborn my taste can be. I have to consciously relax so I can hear what Tom enjoys, and if I can understand that, I find myself enjoying it as well.

Your list did help, thank you very much.
You know what I've taken to doing now? When I'm browsing in thrift stores, I check out the CDs, and if I find one by a group I don't know, I buy it. I scored with a group called EchoBrain. Marvelous music, terrific lyrics, particularly the song called "Crying Shame".

I love Stevie Ray Vaughan. Period.
I THOUGHT I was listening to blues when I listened to Kenny Wayne Sheppard. (I LOVE his music. Went to see him in concert by myself a years ago 'cause no one else would go.) excellent concert. Smile

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ferrit Leggings

I am glad to help. I had a similar music experience in the Bargain bin with a band called Stump. They are or were from Scotland and it was nothing like anything i had head before. The Album was A Fierce Pancake. With a title like that I had to buy it.

Ta,

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Mmm. Thread is YUMMY.  Reply with quote  

Nina Simone's Wild is the Wind, I Put A Spell On You, Sinnerman, and The Thrill is Gone just DO it for me.

I also love:

Billie Holiday (Stormy Weather and I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance)
Ella Fitzgerald (I Ain't Got Nothing But the Blues - one of my all time favorite songs, Skylark)
Miles Davis (Round Midnight - well, most Miles Davis)

Muddy Waters, BB King, and the rest.

Also love (along this line of thinking) most of the old standards.

Tony Bennett - The Way You Look Tonight
Dooley Wilson's version of As Time Goes By

Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, etc.

Sometime in the 80's, Linda Ronstadt put out two or three albums of old standards that was gorgeous. I think it was done with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. There was also Harry Nilsson's A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night, which was fabulous.

For newer people doing this sort of thing, there's obviously Harry Connick and Eva Cassidy, who are excellent.

I think I'm done now.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
abbynormal92243

zoikes!

I erred on the conservative side, number-wise.

he has about 3,000 CDs, and 25,000+ LPs.
He's a self-proclaimed music pig.

did you know Shel Silverstein wrote songs?
(on the cover of the rolling stone is one)

Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: