Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Begininings or endings?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
permanentlyperplexed

Begininings or endings?  Reply with quote  

Ok, so I'm not really a writer, but I write short stories just for the fun of it sometimes. Do you ever have trouble, once you have an idea for a great story/novel/whatever, with putting down the words for the beginning or the ending of it? Sometimes I will have a really good idea for the beginning of a story, but if I get to the end it sort of falters and doesn't seem as strong, or if I have a really good idea for an ending I can't for the life of me think of a beginning. I was just wondering if that ever happens to you, and if it does is it more common to have trouble writing the beginning or the ending?
it is my lot in life to meet every ass hole on the planet and admire them for some quality that they possess that most others do not see b/c they can not see beyond the ass holiness ~permanently perplexed

Post Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
urhangovergirl

*sigh* all the time...

but that's where research helps. It can spawn a lot of ideas.

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sephonae

You could try just writing what you've got and seeing where that takes you. Maybe your idea is the middle, or maybe it's the penultimate paragraph, but the joy is in the journey. You can always revise later!

Post Fri May 09, 2008 9:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
beetleneck

Writing  Reply with quote  

I find the ending really easy. Too, much TV in my youth I expcet. What bogs me down is plot. I have a setting, a time era, and terrific characters. But I fall blank on excitement.

Maybe, I am being to demanding. But I can not do a story board for my book. It develops as my characters, and my interest develop.

My fear is being b o re ing. Anyone else have those fears.

Blessing to all that desire to write.

Post Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Really, it's that pesky middle bit that gives me fits-
that & general laziness... Rolling Eyes

Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Unkle Greggo

Re: Begininings or endings?  Reply with quote  

permanentlyperplexed wrote:
Ok, so I'm not really a writer, but I write short stories just for the fun of it sometimes. Do you ever have trouble, once you have an idea for a great story/novel/whatever, with putting down the words for the beginning or the ending of it? Sometimes I will have a really good idea for the beginning of a story, but if I get to the end it sort of falters and doesn't seem as strong, or if I have a really good idea for an ending I can't for the life of me think of a beginning. I was just wondering if that ever happens to you, and if it does is it more common to have trouble writing the beginning or the ending?

Something happens to my concepts between my brain and fingertips. I guess the chubby little bastards aren't as passsionate as the rest of me.

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

I think Carl Reiner just published a book of a bunch of beginnings of novels he started be never finished.

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
y

Unfortunately I have notebooks full of beginnings and endings. It's like diet writing - 0 fat, 0 calories and less filling.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

I suppose that, if I were ever to write fiction, it would not have beginnings, middles, or endings, but just infrastructure. That is, the things in the story would connect in some way -- unless they get broken. Confused

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
permanentlyperplexed

^i have notebooks full of beginnings and endings too, Y, (mostly beginnings though). I've always wondered where the middles were.
it is my lot in life to meet every ass hole on the planet and admire them for some quality that they possess that most others do not see b/c they can not see beyond the ass holiness ~permanently perplexed

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zendao42

^i have notebooks full of beginnings and endings too, Y, (mostly beginnings though). I've always wondered where the middles were.

So, we're all writing donuts?
Suddenly, I'm hungry... Wink

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
permanentlyperplexed

zendao42 wrote:

Dunken's is around the corner and up the road about two miles Laughing

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zendao42

zendao42 wrote:

Dunken's is around the corner and up the road about two miles Laughing

Seriously, I have a recipe for homemade donuts that I need to put in the cookbook-
hey, there's another way to procrastinate writing stories... Wink

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Endings. I am quite some way into my work and the ending is impending and it's tending to be sending me round the bend. It's looming presence makes it difficult to focus on the challenges at hand. I'm considering using the AG's trick of a timeline with post-its so I can work out what is left to be done.

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mllefifi

zendao42 wrote:
[...] Seriously, I have a recipe for homemade donuts that I need to put in the cookbook-
hey, there's another way to procrastinate writing stories... Wink

Once upon a time there was a girl named zen.

She liked to create stories by kneading dough into different shapes to spell out the words.

She tried all the shapes of the alphabet to make her stories.

One day she started writing the story that begins this way: "The brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

When she got to the letter "O" she said, "Oh, I give up. This is making me go nuts."

And from that day forward, because she became a nut, zen would make only the letter "O" out of her dough.

And that is the story of the DOUGH-NUT.
Wink

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: