Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Reading Suggestions

Currently Reading - The Sequel
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
LostInWalmart

Currently Reading - The Sequel  Reply with quote  

and so it continues...

Started two new books yesterday:

T.C. Boyle's collection After the Plague - read one story and so far so good. I've never read any of his work before, but I'm on a roll with short stories and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Ali Smith's The Accidental - I read Hotel World, Smith's Man Booker shortlisted collection of connected short stories, a while ago and have liked her ever since. She has a new one out called Girl Meets Boy, so check her out if you haven't yet.

B

Post Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

SWINE NOT?- JIMMY BUFFET

A lot of it is written from the point of view of the pig-
intriqued? Wink

This time, my bf got his own library card so we can home with twice as many books-
I don't think we can stack all of them in the bathroom this time!

Post Wed May 14, 2008 3:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

I keep pushing Julian aside even though it's good... but I just got this ARC from Harper

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The synposis made me cry ... Story of a family told by the dog on the night before he's put to sleep. Sounds like an interesting premise, but I'm so afraid I'm going to be a howling sobbing mess at the end. We'll see.

Thanks for the new thread Bill!

Post Wed May 14, 2008 12:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Watching The Wheels

Just finished King's "Firestarter." Pretty decent. Not a horror story in the strictest sense, but King stays focused and to the point.

Now reading 1984. This book has been on my 'to read' list for awhile.

Post Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Notdeadyet

Just finished Her last death. A memoir by Susanna Sonnenberg.
that was different.
I think I'm ready for the Sedaris and some funny.
enough with the drama already. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JennyO

Finished Bonk. Interesting and funny, but one I wouldn't recommend to just anyone.

Now, to cleanse my brain of some of the "way too much information" that came from my last read, I'm reading Tales From Silver Lands by Charles J. Finger, 1925's Newbery Award winner. (I'm in an online book group that's reading all the Newbery winners in order.)

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten

I am reading The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham and Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. Both are really good, Day of the triffids has a great concept and Falling Angel is an old style detective novel with a little mix of voodoo in New York.

Post Sat May 17, 2008 12:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Last week, read WHAT SHAMU TAUGHT ME ABOUT LIFE, LOVE & MARRIAGE- AMY SUTHERLAND:
Even though I could have summed it up in one sentence before reading it since I did take the rat class,
it was still a fun read & I did learn a few things... Wink

Yesterday, read ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE NORTH- PHILIP PULLMAN:
If you wanna know how Lee Scoresby met Iorek Byrnison, you gotta read this!

Now reading M IS FOR MAGIC- NEIL GAIMAN:
Already read most of the stories in it, but they're worth another read...

It's a good thing we got all those books at the library last week-
I've only got 2 left of my stack & one's a re-read-
the other's really 4books-in-one, we'll see if I get all the way through it...

Post Mon May 19, 2008 3:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Notdeadyet

I'm reading Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts....
and hopefully next I'll read her Ladies of Liberty.
My Grandmothers and my aunt went through this thing when they retired that they read all the first ladies autobiographies, then proceeded to work through all the printed journals of American women that took the Oregon trail and ended up reading revolutionary poetry by women.
Does this mean I'm getting old? Laughing
I'm having a hard time putting it down. Cool

Post Mon May 19, 2008 5:55 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

You fuckers, trying to trick me with your new threads. Thought you could get rid of me, huh?

Well, I finished the mindbendingly meandering book about dimensions and moved on to a book about knowing when and when not to speak. I also am about to start, finally, Mr Undesirable, which Sgt. Steve handed to me over a year ago (sorry, Boota, don't kill me...I just don't read quick - each of my posts takes at least 3 days to write because of the proofreading).

Anyway, yeah, that's what I is reading.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 7:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ken
Site Admin

Just read two books that were purely entertaining ( Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff and Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy , Tony Visconti's autobiography).

I also read my own book Adobe ColdFusion 8 Web Application Construction Kit because I was recertifying to keep teaching ColdFusion and had to remember what-all was in there.

I'm now reading 2 books that are "good for me": Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri (excellent short stories from an Indian perspective) and Underground America , a book of true stories of life in America by undocumented workers. This last book is a fascinating look into the lives of illegals in this country, and it's very hard to put down.

I recommend all four very highly!

Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
knikkki

knikkki wrote:
I keep pushing Julian aside even though it's good... but I just got this ARC from Harper

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The synposis made me cry ... Story of a family told by the dog on the night before he's put to sleep. Sounds like an interesting premise, but I'm so afraid I'm going to be a howling sobbing mess at the end. We'll see.

All - this book was really good. Sad, but also funny and well written. I recommend it.

Read High Fidelity this weekend. Glad I read it, there were some funny things the movie couldn't capture, but overall they did a damned good job on the movie.

Still reading Julian and now adding Villette to the list.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 10:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deb

knikkki wrote:
........and now adding Villette to the list.

Are you punishing yourself? I read this in college for my Victorian Lit class. Those are hours I will never get back.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 10:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
knikkki

deb wrote:
knikkki wrote:
........and now adding Villette to the list.

Are you punishing yourself? I read this in college for my Victorian Lit class. Those are hours I will never get back.

I was afraid of that ... I really liked Jane Eyre ...

Post Mon May 19, 2008 11:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

knikkki wrote:
....but overall they did a damned good job on the movie.

You saw a different movie than I then. I mean the movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either when compared to the book.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: