Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Reading Suggestions

Currently Reading - The Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 90, 91, 92  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
leprrkan

Darkly Dreaming Dexter Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Tue May 20, 2008 5:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sara Leigh

Re: High Fidelity  Reply with quote  

I forget which came first for me, the book or the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed both though.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
knikkki

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
knikkki wrote:
....but overall they did a damned good job on the movie.

You saw a different movie than I then. I mean the movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either when compared to the book.

Wow - completely disagree. They did a terriffic job. Most of the dialog was straight from the book and the story followed completely.

The major difference was that the people weren't British and it took place in New York (I think) instead of London. I think it could have been really good done with Brits as well, but I don't think it took anything away from it.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

High Fidelity and About a Boy were excellent adaptations (in my opinion). The american version of Fever Pitch sucked ass, and I haven't seen the English/Colin Firth version (which was actually adapted by Hornby). Gotta be better, right?

Film rights for A Long Way Down were bought by Johnny Depp, but nothing coming out yet, and I think I heard that How to be Good was also bought or optioned.

Not a bad track record.

B

Post Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

LostInWalmart wrote:
High Fidelity and About a Boy were excellent adaptations (in my opinion). The american version of Fever Pitch sucked ass, and I haven't seen the English/Colin Firth version (which was actually adapted by Hornby). Gotta be better, right?

Film rights for A Long Way Down were bought by Johnny Depp, but nothing coming out yet, and I think I heard that How to be Good was also bought or optioned.

Not a bad track record.

B

The Colin Firth version is really good.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 10:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leprrkan

Dearly Devoted Dexter

- "Bones"

Post Tue May 20, 2008 1:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aubie

Embrace Me

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 2:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lynn

LostInWalmart wrote:

Not a bad track record.

B

The Colin Firth version is really good.

Hate that movie. Sooooo whiny.

Post Sat May 24, 2008 3:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lynn

Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith. Another of the Canongate Myth Series. Like it so far. Invitingly slim. Smile

Post Sat May 24, 2008 3:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Lynn wrote:

Strange, I thought whiny was your comfort zone.

Twisted Evil

Post Sat May 24, 2008 4:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
knikkki

I'm reading Windfalls by Jean Hegland. Her book " Into the Forest " is one of my all time favorites.

This book is really gripping so far ...

And in case anybody is looking for a Julian update ... still reading it. It's really good, I don't know what my problem is.

Post Sat May 24, 2008 8:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lynn

Lynn wrote:

Strange, I thought whiny was your comfort zone.

Twisted Evil

Only for me. Don't want to watch other people doin' it (in so many senses of the words). Finished Girl Meets Boy, very good. Onto The Sopranos by Alan Warner.

Last edited by Lynn on Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue May 27, 2008 1:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vahlee

I'm Reading The Tipping Point: How Little Things can make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell for my Plague Literature class that doesn't start until the middle of June. We have 9 novels to read in 6 weeks. I'm ready for the job! I'm also starting early

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Tue May 27, 2008 5:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Finished T.C. Boyle's collection After The Plague - very dark, somewhat disturbing, but it really grew on me. The stories are pretty short, no more than 20 pages or so, and of the 16, probably 4 are very good, 10 are pretty good, and the rest (I'm bad at math) are still worthwhile.

Started Murakami's collection of short stories Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Still reading Ali Smith's The Accidental , still good. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of 4 family members, and she does the voices really well. If Girl Meets Boy gets the board approval from Lynn, I'll pick it up too. No pressure, Lynn.

B

Post Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
ken
Site Admin

I'm reading Improbable by Jeff Fawer. It's one of those books I bought years ago but never got around to reading. Crichton-style thriller about a guy who has seizures and starts to be able to influence chance. Very entertaining. You can pick it up for a penny on Amazon used, too. (plus 4 bucks S/H... what's with that?)

Also still reading Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, great short stories.

Finished Underground America , an excellent book of short interviews/biographies of undocumented Americans. Very interesting and hard to put down -- if you liked the movie The Visitor you'd like these. Got it as part of my McSweeney's book subscription.

Also finished A Disorder Peculiar To The Country by Ken Kalfus. Very funny, black comedy about a couple of spiteful people going through a nasty divorce, that seems to have utterly confused a lot of Amazon reviewers... guess they just don't get irony or the author's magical realism digressions. It does a good job of describing the conflict going on in our lives as the terrorist attacks and their aftermath are played out -- especially the Anthrax and post-9/11 fear of additional attacks played out, a time it's easy to forget only a few years later. Definitely a book that works on about 3 levels at once... if you only pay attention to the surface level, you'll probably hate the book. I'd put it in the same category of A Confederacy of Dunces -- black comedies with flawed main characters that work as modern political commentary.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 90, 91, 92  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: