Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Reading Suggestions

Currently Reading - The Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

ken wrote:
Also finished A Disorder Peculiar To The Country by Ken Kalfus. Very funny, black comedy about a couple of spiteful people going through a nasty divorce, that seems to have utterly confused a lot of Amazon reviewers... guess they just don't get irony or the author's magical realism digressions. It does a good job of describing the conflict going on in our lives as the terrorist attacks and their aftermath are played out -- especially the Anthrax and post-9/11 fear of additional attacks played out, a time it's easy to forget only a few years later. Definitely a book that works on about 3 levels at once... if you only pay attention to the surface level, you'll probably hate the book.

I guess I could only get that book on level 1, because I hated it. I just wanted the people to die. I remember laughing at the first part but after that, I hated the characters so much I couldn't get past anything else.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Currently reading: " Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World " - Murakami. Really enjoying this one - probably my favourite by this author so far.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Wonko

Recently finished the following books:
Barrel Fever: David Sedaris -- Thoroughly less than impressed I didn't even so much as chuckle until the end. I really liked the final story, but the rest of the book I didn't care for.

Rowdy in Paris: Tim Sandlin -- Really enjoyable story even though I never could find anything to like in the Rowdy character.

M is for Magic: Neil Gaiman -- Great book! Even if it is for "Young Readers" I thought the stories held up really well for adult readers. The only possible exception would be the first story, but only because it has a similar, but more simplistic, theme to Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy which I recently read. Had I not read the Fford Ffirst, I may not have thought the Gaiman was supposedly geared for a younger audience.

I'm about a dozen pages into Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster and it seems to be pretty good so far.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 7:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JennyO

I'm just starting Proust Was a Neuroscientist . It sounds really interesting. Will have to let you know if it turns out to be a good one.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Tue May 27, 2008 10:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
suetu

Last night I started reading David Ebershoff's novel The 19th Wife . (It'll be published in August.) It's the type of 600-page monster that you stare at and think, "Do I really want to read this?" Well, I read the first 50-some pages last night, and I'm absolutely riveted. This story could not be more timely. Here's the description from Amazon:

Product Description
Faith, I tell them, is a mystery, elusive to many, and never easy to explain.

Sweeping and lyrical, spellbinding and unforgettable, David Ebershoff’s The 19th Wife combines epic historical fiction with a modern murder mystery to create a brilliant novel of literary suspense.

It is 1875, and Ann Eliza Young has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church. Expelled and an outcast, Ann Eliza embarks on a crusade to end polygamy in the United States. A rich account of a family’s polygamous history is revealed, including how a young woman became a plural wife.

Soon after Ann Eliza’s story begins, a second exquisite narrative unfolds–a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah. Jordan Scott, a young man who was thrown out of his fundamentalist sect years earlier, must reenter the world that cast him aside in order to discover the truth behind his father’s death.

And as Ann Eliza’s narrative intertwines with that of Jordan’s search, readers are pulled deeper into the mysteries of love and faith.

http://inoneeyeouttheother.blogspot.com/

Post Wed May 28, 2008 11:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lynn

LostInWalmart wrote:

Still reading Ali Smith's The Accidental , still good. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of 4 family members, and she does the voices really well. If Girl Meets Boy gets the board approval from Lynn, I'll pick it up too. No pressure, Lynn.

B

It is approved. Mind you, I might be more reticent if it weren't less than 200 pgs.

Post Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Excellent. Also noticed that Murakami's After Dark is out in paper, so I'm off to go book shopping this weekend for these two, and Christopher Buckley's Boomsday .

Yay me.

B

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

I read the first chapter of the " 13 and 1/2 lives of Captain Blue Bear " to Trippy McDruggypants yesterday afternnon. I thought it was a bit dry for her, but this morning on the way to preschool she informed me I was the blue Captain of the minivan which was a nutshell and she was a tiny pirate, so I guess it's sticking. She really likes the drawings. I'd put the author but somehow that book disappeared in the night, probably to a teen's room. I think it's Walter Moers, there's another thread about it in here.
Also, I started Augusten Burrough's book about his father, The Wolf at the Table , also disappeared. Sad, sad stuff.
I gotta get a summer book. Cool

Hey! LIW, Yay you! (I thought you gave up bookshopping for a while and others were buying you books!) Laughing

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

Good eye, NDY. I've only bought books for trips, but Father's Day is coming up, so maybe I'll splurge.

Post Thu May 29, 2008 2:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
suetu

Lynn,

I don't know if you figured out that I had a copy of Girl Meets Boy for you. When you couldn't make the last sfbx meeting, I took it out of the pile and held on to it for you, 'cause I knew you'd like it. Oh, well. My intentions were good.

BTW, did you have earplugs in walking to work this morning? I saw you on the other side of Fillmore and called your name repeatedly. You were ignoring me, weren't you? Razz

Bill,

If you'd like to save the cash, I'll bring you the copy of Girl Meets Boy (that Lynn no longer needs) when I come to Rockville in July.

Susan

http://inoneeyeouttheother.blogspot.com/

Post Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
18Rabbit

I recently finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It's a weird story similar to work that AG does, reality with a twist (or 4). I enjoyed it quite a bit and laughed out loud several times (which is kind of odd when you're sitting on the toilet by yourself now that I think about it).

Currently reading 'Tis by Frank McCourt (after reading Angela's Ashes I had to). He's a great story teller but I'm getting annoyed with him and his inability to stand up for himself except in the worst possible situations. He has a great sense of humor about what seems to be a pretty bleak life and shows that you can always find something to smile about.

Post Fri May 30, 2008 2:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JennyO

Wonko wrote:

M is for Magic: Neil Gaiman -- Great book! Even if it is for "Young Readers" I thought the stories held up really well for adult readers. The only possible exception would be the first story, but only because it has a similar, but more simplistic, theme to Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy which I recently read. Had I not read the Fford Ffirst, I may not have thought the Gaiman was supposedly geared for a younger audience.

Couldn't help myself, Wonko, I picked up M is for Magic: last night too. I'm halfway through it already and am enjoying it very much.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

Ladies and Gentlemen ... May I have your attention please ...

I finally finished ......

JULIAN !

It was really very good. I should have read it all the way through, instead I read like 7 books in between.

Currently reading: Generation X by Douglas Coupland

Post Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Let's see - recently finished ' Matter ' by Iain M. Banks (not one of his best), ' The Terror ' by Dan Simmons (absolutely one of his best) and ' The Family Business ' by Charlie Stross (it's OK). Mulling over what to try next.

Post Sat May 31, 2008 10:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Watching The Wheels

Just finished Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut. It was okay.

Now reading Different Seasons by King -- a collection of four mini-novels: Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body, The Breathing Method -- and, so far, the first two stories have been excellent.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: