Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

A betrayal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
henwy

A betrayal  Reply with quote  

So I just finished reading You Suck (actually, to be more precise, I just finished having You Suck read to me since I listened to it as an audiobook) and the ending really bothered me. I was disturbed enough that I immediately searched around online for a forum to see what others thought. The very first thing that came to mind as the book finished was a clear sense of Abby's betrayal of Tommy and Jodie. It made no real sense to me that she would actually entomb them alive and think that was a perfectly valid solution to their problem of not being able to decide whether they should be humans or vampires or whatever. Maybe Abby was just thinking like a romantic (read: stupid) but I just can't see how it's justifiable even when viewed with the rosiest of glasses.

I mean, think about it. He's stuck in there, entombed for god only knows how long. His family will never know what becomes of him and if he's not let out, he could theoretically be in there forever. Even if he did get out one day it could be decades or centuries later after which almost everyone he knew is old or dead, completely destroying his life as it was. Meanwhile, Abby's off with her boyfriend spending all the cash in the place as if it were hers.

I really liked Abby's character in the book but this final 'solution' of hers just boggles my mind. I can't figure out if she's just that naive/stupid or if it's really a streak of selfishness in wanting to keep two thirds of a million dollars. The saddest part of this is Tommy doesn't even know how to turn into fog. If he's kept in there for a while he's likely to be bat$hit insane once he gets out.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
leprrkan

I don't think she made the choice out of selfish reasons... she likes Tommy and she likes Jodi, she wants them to be happy together and could see that they weren't... she didn't understand the whole reason as to why maybe but still. I think she had good intentions at heart (but you know what they say about those). And didn't Tommy or Jodi give her a big chunk of money?

- "Bones"

Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
henwy

Well, she did get 10k as a christmas present, but there was another 670k or so. 580k from the animals and then Tommy's own 100k cut from the art sale.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
leprrkan

I don't remember in the book reading that she was spending any money other than what she was given as pay or as a gift though...

- "Bones"

Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
henwy

leprrkan wrote:
I don't remember in the book reading that she was spending any money other than what she was given as pay or as a gift though...

It doesn't say she's not either. The money's pretty much hers as long as she doesn't free the vampiric duo in bronze.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
walk

i always thought that jodi could teach tommy how to evaporate. i didn't see it as a betrayal at all, it was clear from the rest of the book that abby really cared about both jodi and tommy. i felt that she just wanted them to be together forever or at least give them enough alone time to figure out what they were going to do. but i won't lie and say the ending was what i wanted for the two.

"there's just one more thing.... it's been emotional." lock stock and 2 smoking barrels

Post Mon May 19, 2008 3:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

Re: A betrayal  Reply with quote  

henwy wrote:
I mean, think about it. He's stuck in there, entombed for god only knows how long. His family will never know what becomes of him and if he's not let out, he could theoretically be in there forever. Even if he did get out one day it could be decades or centuries later after which almost everyone he knew is old or dead, completely destroying his life as it was. Meanwhile, Abby's off with her boyfriend spending all the cash in the place as if it were hers.

Calm down. Deep breaths. There will be a book 3 and they will get out.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
henwy

Jillopy wrote:

It's been confirmed there's going to be a sequel?

Post Mon May 19, 2008 4:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
zendao42

henwy wrote:
Jillopy wrote:

Yeah, BITE ME- the title might be changed later... Twisted Evil

Post Tue May 20, 2008 3:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

henwy wrote:
Jillopy wrote:

I don't know about confirmed, but the AG has said in interviews that he'd like to write a third "vampire book"...

- "Bones"

Post Tue May 20, 2008 5:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
henwy

Welp, I can only hope that ends up being the case. I just _really_ don't get the bronzing. It's not even like she was hiding them or anything, from either the old vampire or the animals and blue. Considering all of them know what happened last time around, any new bronze statues that appeared in the loft would probably engender some close scrutiny. Bronzing them just made them incredibly vulnerable if their enemies had still been prowling about.

So does anyone have a good and rational explanation? Am I the only one who read up to the end and thought WTH?

Post Tue May 20, 2008 11:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
deb

henwy wrote:
Welp, I can only hope that ends up being the case. I just _really_ don't get the bronzing. It's not even like she was hiding them or anything, from either the old vampire or the animals and blue. Considering all of them know what happened last time around, any new bronze statues that appeared in the loft would probably engender some close scrutiny. Bronzing them just made them incredibly vulnerable if their enemies had still been prowling about.

So does anyone have a good and rational explanation? Am I the only one who read up to the end and thought WTH?

time. time to ruminate. think of what next to do. that's all it's about. giving yourself time, in an eternity. An eternity is an awful lot of time to plan for.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 12:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leprrkan

henwy wrote:

Yeah... I think most of us just heard the voices chanting "Sequel... sequel... sequel..." Very Happy

Besides their enemies were gone. The three elders came and cleaned up Elijah's mess.

- "Bones"

Post Tue May 20, 2008 1:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
henwy

leprrkan wrote:
Besides their enemies were gone. The three elders came and cleaned up Elijah's mess.

Ya, but Abby didn't know that. She knew some of the animals were no longer a threat since they were converted back, but for all she knew, blue and old crazy dude were still around thirsting for blood.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
leprrkan

Maybe the AG just hates Abby and wanted to make her a beeyotch...

- "Bones"

Post Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: