Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Book Club Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Broadmoor Babe

Book Club Discussion  Reply with quote  

I hosted bookclub yesterday and I did have a group that were resistent to reading this book. However, over the last month, as they read the book, almost the whole group became Chris Moore groupies. It was awesome to see!

Thank you to this forum for helping me visualize questions for the bookclub.

I justed finished Fluke and I am off to read Lamb. I know I am a few years behind but I hope to catch up quickly.

TTFN

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:36 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

Wait!!!

who are you?

But anyway, good for you and your endeavors to create more mooreons

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Broadmoor Babe

I am brand spankin new to this sight! I found this site on Saturday (June 26) when I was putting together book club questions for Sunday.

Until last month, I really had no Chris Moore knowledge except for the fact that A Dirty Job was one of my all time fav books.

And yes, as my location indicates, I live in a VERY conservative atmosphere so I should get double points for the 6 people I guided into the "We Love Chris Moore" fanclub because they all thought I was going to hell in a handbag when I insisted we read A Dirty Job for bookclub.

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

You definitely get double the points Very Happy Are you Army? My best friend from college did her ROTC final year stuff at Ft. Lewis.

- "Bones"

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vahlee

I have a friend who's stationed at Ft. Lewis. I wanted my hubby to get stationed there just for the views.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Broadmoor Babe

Questions and Musings about Rules/ Myspace / Bookclub  Reply with quote  

1. I am not in the Army but my delicious beta male (with a platoon of Alpha thrown in) husband is Army. Though, according to the Army Field Manual FM 715 that means I am technically Army too. Oh, and I live on Broadmoor thus my name...My creativity astounds even me sometimes.

2. I keep seeing posts about introducing yourself and reading "The rules" butfor the life of me I cannot find where "The rules" are.

3. I do not have a lot of time to be online and I did notice in my searches that Chris has a Myspace account that lists his newest happenings. I personally don't have a myspace account so I was wondering...Do I need to check Myspace and here to make sure I have the latest informaion? Obviously, you all are partial to the forum. What the biggest differences between this forum and myspace (besides the adding friends and interface options)

4. I am going to post the questions I used for bookclub...most of them compiled from all of you. That way if anyone comes to this thread looking for bookclub questions mine will be here plus any you all want to add.

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 am   View user's profile Send private message
Broadmoor Babe

Book Club Questions  Reply with quote  

Below are the questions I used to facilitate conversation at our bookclub. These are just my notes. None of the questions were written down for the group. Credit was given to this forum and to the other sites I read.

1. Washington Post Book World 2006 contained the annual holiday shopping guide for Best Fiction and Best Non-Fiction. Nestled snugly among them was A Dirty Job. Humor is the reason to pick up A Dirty Job, but why can’t the book be completely written off as purely mindless entertainment?

2. "Heartbreak is the natural habitat of the Beta Male." To what extent do Charlie's heroics in the sewer succeed in elevating him from the Beta Male category in which he classifies himself to an Alpha Male?

3. How does Chris Moore turn the saddest observation “Most of the people Charlie encounters have no souls at all. At one point he estimates that there must be millions of people wandering the earth without souls” into something optimistic?

4. What was the assassin squirrel person doing trying to attack Sophie? At the time it sure implied that the squirrel people were bad guys, but we learn differently later of course.

5. Audrey transferred his soul into a squirrel person. What do you think his soul object was? (interesting note - one of the participants said it had to be a CD because Minty Fresh picked it up and he only picked up CDs...until she said that I was going with the majority thinking it was the sword/cane)

6. They are happening at the same time, but while A Dirty Job covers 6 years, the time frame of Fiends and You Suck are considerably shorter. At any given time in your life, do you feel you may be playing a bit part in someone elses life, even though you are the star of yours?

7. The idea of soul objects – common items which can hold a person’s soul- is purely Moore’s. “I own my father's State Highway Patrol hat,” he explains. “Since he died on the job, they handed it to me at the funeral, when they handed the flag to my mother, so it has a feeling of soul to it. My dad was a cop twenty-four seven, whether he was working or not. He told me once that he would have been a highway patrolman even if they didn't pay him to do it, so I feel a lot of him in his Smokey Bear hat.” What would be your soul object when you die?

8. Do you think the author left the identity of the Luminatus a mystery until the end of the novel or did everyone but Charlie figure it out?

9. What do you think of the cover of the book?

10. Did you take the quiz for your husband? What did you think of the quiz?

11. Do you think it is the case that women overlook betas on a regular basis?

12. Did anyone want Charlie and the sewer harpie to get together?

13. A reviewer has been quoted as saying “Moore is not in any sense politically correct, his women are often sex objects and his ethnic characters hew to stereotype in comic fashion (the Chinese babysitter steals every sort of animal for her stewpot), etc” And yet he dedicate to hospice workers? Did certain parts of A Dirty Job affect you emotionally? Why did it evoke those emotions?

14. Moore’s book beneifites from an instructional paradox he cannily exploits. Nothing enhances Charlie’s life like death. “Until he became Death, he’d never felt so alive” writes Moore. Do you think embracing what we fear enlarges our soul?

15. What was the point of Charlie dying? Did Charlie have to die?

16. What do you think Sophie will be like as a teenager and adult?

17. Do you see A Dirty Job as a movie or a TV series?

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: Book Club Questions  Reply with quote  

Broadmoor Babe wrote:
Below are the questions I used to facilitate conversation at our bookclub. These are just my notes. None of the questions were written down for the group. Credit was given to this forum and to the other sites I read.

1. Washington Post Book World 2006 contained the annual holiday shopping guide for Best Fiction and Best Non-Fiction. Nestled snugly among them was A Dirty Job. Humor is the reason to pick up A Dirty Job, but why can’t the book be completely written off as purely mindless entertainment?

2. "Heartbreak is the natural habitat of the Beta Male." To what extent do Charlie's heroics in the sewer succeed in elevating him from the Beta Male category in which he classifies himself to an Alpha Male?

3. How does Chris Moore turn the saddest observation “Most of the people Charlie encounters have no souls at all. At one point he estimates that there must be millions of people wandering the earth without souls” into something optimistic?

4. What was the assassin squirrel person doing trying to attack Sophie? At the time it sure implied that the squirrel people were bad guys, but we learn differently later of course.

5. Audrey transferred his soul into a squirrel person. What do you think his soul object was? (interesting note - one of the participants said it had to be a CD because Minty Fresh picked it up and he only picked up CDs...until she said that I was going with the majority thinking it was the sword/cane)

6. They are happening at the same time, but while A Dirty Job covers 6 years, the time frame of Fiends and You Suck are considerably shorter. At any given time in your life, do you feel you may be playing a bit part in someone elses life, even though you are the star of yours?

7. The idea of soul objects – common items which can hold a person’s soul- is purely Moore’s. “I own my father's State Highway Patrol hat,” he explains. “Since he died on the job, they handed it to me at the funeral, when they handed the flag to my mother, so it has a feeling of soul to it. My dad was a cop twenty-four seven, whether he was working or not. He told me once that he would have been a highway patrolman even if they didn't pay him to do it, so I feel a lot of him in his Smokey Bear hat.” What would be your soul object when you die?

8. Do you think the author left the identity of the Luminatus a mystery until the end of the novel or did everyone but Charlie figure it out?

9. What do you think of the cover of the book?

10. Did you take the quiz for your husband? What did you think of the quiz?

11. Do you think it is the case that women overlook betas on a regular basis?

12. Did anyone want Charlie and the sewer harpie to get together?

13. A reviewer has been quoted as saying “Moore is not in any sense politically correct, his women are often sex objects and his ethnic characters hew to stereotype in comic fashion (the Chinese babysitter steals every sort of animal for her stewpot), etc” And yet he dedicate to hospice workers? Did certain parts of A Dirty Job affect you emotionally? Why did it evoke those emotions?

14. Moore’s book beneifites from an instructional paradox he cannily exploits. Nothing enhances Charlie’s life like death. “Until he became Death, he’d never felt so alive” writes Moore. Do you think embracing what we fear enlarges our soul?

15. What was the point of Charlie dying? Did Charlie have to die?

16. What do you think Sophie will be like as a teenager and adult?

17. Do you see A Dirty Job as a movie or a TV series?

Thanks for sharing these, B. I'm a little stunned by the "sex object" comment. I think the reviewer confused sexy, sexual, and sex object. I think most of my female characters would kick your ass if you called them a sex object, but I suppose I do have a subjective opinion. Smile

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Broadmoor Babe

Points a Guilty Finger  Reply with quote  

Points a guilty finger at:
http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Job-Novel-Christopher-Moore/dp/0060590270

Reviewer:
By bensmomma "bensmomma" (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
It is the first review anyone who accesses this sight sees.

Of course, I am just as guilty as the reviewer because I allowed my fingers to retype "sex object" when you are so obviously right that your women are actually strong, sexy women.....(I actually believe that and not just kissing your ass) (Can I say ass on this forum?)

I have to go now...the thought of all those sexy wonderful women kicking my ass kind of makes me feel funny...like I ummm...have to go jump in bed with hubby. Night all....

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

^ Yer gonna fit RIGHT in here... Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zendao42

leprrkan wrote:

^ Yer gonna fit RIGHT in here... Laughing

Certainly... as soon as she stacks, strips & brings pie! Very Happy

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
permanentlyperplexed

did someone say pie?
it is my lot in life to meet every ass hole on the planet and admire them for some quality that they possess that most others do not see b/c they can not see beyond the ass holiness ~permanently perplexed

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:00 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mllefifi

MMMMMMMmmmmm...

pie strips...

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Broadmoor Babe

Stacks, Strips and bakes a pie  Reply with quote  

Wonders what "stacks" means....

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Re: Stacks, Strips and bakes a pie  Reply with quote  

Broadmoor Babe wrote:
Wonders what "stacks" means....

Here is a link to the aforementioned rules:
http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=366

I beleive that rule #2 addresses your query.

Welcome!

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: