Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Any idea how to make a decent title?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DoctorBollocks

Any idea how to make a decent title?  Reply with quote  

I've been writng this book over a year now, and i've worte it when I've been dead tired as a theme so I called it Tired but I really don't like it, it seems lacking to me.
I'm over 100 pages into it and I'm close to finishing. There is a common theme of sleep, insomnia, and diners in it. None of the chapters are alike but,...they'e not short stories. Think of how Ray Bradbury chaptered The Martian Chronicles and it's like that. they have a common connection of being in the same universe and same people and areas.
My problem is thinking of a decent title and is there really any advice to thinking of a decent title to this story...at all? Because Tired isn' doing it for me.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ginjg

some thing along the lines "If ever I could sleep" or "Waking Slumber" or "Nap time never comes"?

you could go cliché -"No Rest for the Weary".

Or simply just plain "Tuckered".

Does your protagonist ponder or utter an apt phrase that would serve well?

It's difficult without more info. Your plot sounds vaguely similar to "After Dark"

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Hmmmm...

EYES PROPPED OPEN?

BLOODSHOT BABBLINGS?

TOO TIRED FOR TEA?

DREAMLESS DINING?

If I keep going at this hour, it'll be annoyingly alliterative-
is the bit you posted in Fan Fic a sample of this particular work?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

Re: Any idea how to make a decent title?  Reply with quote  

DoctorBollocks wrote:
I've been writng this book over a year now, and i've worte it when I've been dead tired as a theme so I called it Tired but I really don't like it, it seems lacking to me.

You already said it: Dead Tired

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Bags

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
J.B.Chamberlin

I'm fond of 'Dead Tired' myself although that might not be appropriate. It's hard to tell without more info.... then again, titles are overrated anyway.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

I'm w/Taco Bob and JBC on this one; Dead Tired sounds like a great title!

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Insomniac Diners at the Dead Tired Cafe

(Island of the Dead Tired Love Nuns?)

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

"Radioactive Space Squids from Outer Space Who Also Happen to Be Really, Really Tired"?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
DoctorBollocks

Well...there is no set protagonist and there are separate antagonists. Ummm...the plot can;t really be described but uploading 104 pages of what I have so far would be much too large to set up for here. I can...summarise the chapters if you want.
Dead tired....sorta works for me I was also fiddling around with a parody of Eyes Wide Shut.
If you want more information I can tell you but I don;t know exactly what could be known.
I like..most of the suggestions and who knows I may pick one, being so close to finishing I'd like something. I need soemtime to tell the cover artist I was going to commission, because..you know I want to eventually publish this.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lisa

I would pick up a book, Bollocks Tired.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DoctorBollocks

I'm afraid I don't get quite what you are saying

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

DoctorBollocks wrote:

I'm afraid I don't get quite what you are saying

Um, you'll get used to Lisa... Wink

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

lisa wrote:
I would pick up a book, Bollocks Tired.

Good title.

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Watching The Wheels

Have you tried using Magnetic Poetry?

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: