Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

how does one get oneself killed by a freak bunsen burner
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
tirusthevirus

how does one get oneself killed by a freak bunsen burner  Reply with quote  

So, I kinda have writer's block. Throughout my novel, I've been referring vaguely to a scene in which a character gets killed in a freak bunsen burner accident. The details: character is middle-aged, undergoing a mid-life crisis. He and his wife have no children. The wife does not get killed during the bunsen burner mishap. accidental death should be comical but realistic. not really even sure how bunsen burners work, though according to wikipedia some run on natural gas, some on propane, etc. I'm pretty sure it would be easy to accomplish, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Anyone here have some experience in accidental death by bunsen burner? anyone win a darwin award involving a bunsen burner?

- Bryce

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

turning it on, ready to strike the flame, phone rings, been waiting for that call, ya know. Turns the burner off, but too hurriedly so it's still seeping. Long call, room filling slowly with gas. Returns to task, not noticing faint smell of gas (perhaps nose stuffy from cold or tears of joy or grief due to news in the call), turns on the burner and strikes the lighting tool, Boom! inhales flash flames, sears lungs and airways. No one else around to hear. Dies rapidly but painfully.

As far as I know, you still need the spark lighter tool to light a bunsen burner

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
tirusthevirus

hm. thanks ginjg. that may work for my purposes. I'll have to play around with the logistics of it (like why he has the bunsen burner in the first place), but the distraction idea is good as it serves to make the burner more dangerous. I think maybe he doesn't smell the gas because he's been having a few beers, or something. Wink

- Bryce

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
18Rabbit

I think most bunsen burner related incidents involve spilage from something flamable boiling over or from using non-heat treated glass in the flame where the thing being heated shatters after the liquid inside has boiled off. Most (all?) natural gas/propane supply lines have blow back valves that will prevent a catastrophic level explosion. You could still get a pretty big cloud to flame out at once if you left an open line unattended and that could set something small on fire.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

Death from bunsen burner.

While one's tripod is over the burner and the dish is heating up, and when one is sitting on the table and reading a book nonchalantly, one burns to death while not noticing the mishap.

That's how it happens.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
urhangovergirl

Love potions gone wrong are always good...

You could also have him accidentally make an explosive liquid that actually bursts the beaker (or whatever glass he's using) and a piece of glass gets caught in his throat, he bleeds to death...still not that funny but I'll leave that part up to you.

Sadly, I can't find one single bunsen burner related death Sad I know, I shouldn't really be sad about that, but I was hoping this would be one more time truth was as strange as fiction. However, the Darwin awards have an honorable mention for mishaps where the people lived

http://www.darwinawards.com/personal/personal2007-09.html

hope this helps!

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

my sister caught herself on fire (honest) in 8th grade when she got alcohol on her arm and wandered too close to the bunsen burners. At least that's what she told us. Luckily the alcohol just burned right off, but I agree with the "flammable liquid" idea for realism.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:17 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

In general, I think it would be more effective to only refer to the horrible bunsen burner mishap, and do so several times, but only describe the characters reactions to the memory of the event rather than the event itself. But, I say this not knowing the book and how integral the scene would be to the story.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

I much prefer an incident involving a bunsen burner being used in a non-bunsen burner way. Like he was walking next to a tall building and abunsen burner fell on his head from a great height.

Or a box of bunsen burners fell of a truck onto him.

Or he was lighting a bunsen burner when someone shot him (it's funny to me because it's so not a freak accident).

Or he was drawing a bunsen burner for a still life and he accidentally stabbed himself with the pencil after slipped on some coffee he spilled on the floor.

Just on a side note: isn't death by bunsen burner a freak accident almost by definition? Or do accidental deaths by bunsen burner happen frequently enough for them to not be freakish on their own?

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tirusthevirus

lol! Thanks FattyPork. That's actually a really good idea. i like the box of bunsen burners falling from a truck idea best. and the still life of a bunsen burner idea is good too.
and yeah, i guess any bunsen burner death is a freak accident...unless it's a bunsen burner suicide or bunsen burner murder. there isn't really a "oh, you know. the usual bunsen burner accident." Cool
thanks for the inspiration.

- Bryce

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yangnome

hmm maybe he was using the bunsen burner to "charge" his farts. Kind of like filling up a balloon. Add a lighter and describe it all teh right way and you've got comedy gold.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
tirusthevirus

lol!!! It's funny because I actually considered that already!!!

- Bryce

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

now that that idea is out in the ether, all bunsen burners will have to be labled
"Pay heed to Sophie's refrain or it's KITTY for you!"

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
tirusthevirus

Quote:
now that that idea is out in the ether, all bunsen burners will have to be labled
"Pay heed to Sophie's refrain or it's KITTY for you!"

I don't get it....

- Bryce

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrjason

I was kinda leaning towards what fattyfatttyporkface said. a simple, slip, fall.....bunsen burner through the right eye, lodges in the frontal lobe, victim loses shit, tears ass out of the secret underground lab (im assuming), then just turn it into that scene from Naked Gun 2 where the juice gets supremely fucked up with, like, 6 different freak accidents within 20 seconds.....or not. i tend to go a bit overboard. maybe stop after he blindly falls down a flight of stairs. that way it's kinda believable, and you still get to say he died of a freak bunsen burner accident.

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: