Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

A Catastrophe and A Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
LostInWalmart

A Catastrophe and A Question  Reply with quote  

My manuscript died. It's a whole convoluted thing related to a new laptop, a flaky Mac, a questionable flash drive, possibly some sacramental beer, and stupidity. In any case, my main file and my backup were both corrupted. Done. Kilt. [this is the catastrophe]

So, I have a paper version and an uncorrupted notes file, so all is not lost. I began re-typing the manuscript (83 pages prior to its demise) and realized that, well, it sucks so much ass. And not in any good way you might be thinking of. [actually this may be the catastrophe]

So the question: why does my writing suck?

Please be creative and don't spare my feelings.

Thank you.

B

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Because it doesn't blow?

Wink

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
urhangovergirl

hehe I like the way you put all that.

because it's a dirty whore with no respect for itself. And decent slut would at least swallow when sucking that hard.

I dunno. Why don't you share some it?

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

before you do anything rash, like wiping the drives, contact MisterEMan. He does data recovery. Likely won't be cheap to recover, but I'll bet it's all there.

Did you run disk warrior or Data rescue?

And perhaps you're not an impartial judge of your own writing? How about posting some excerpts in fan fiction? Let us give you a small critique.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

Tip for future: Send a copy to your gmail account or some other online storage. That's what I do. It's my third backup mechanism.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
urhangovergirl

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Tip for future: Send a copy to your gmail account or some other online storage. That's what I do. It's my third backup mechanism.

amen. That's definitely saved me from having to rewrite a couple research papers during school. Funny thing is, shortly after I figured it out my computers quit dying on me...

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sephonae

Your work likely doesn't suck. My guess is that you've seen it all so much already that you may be a little burned-out on it, I surely get that way. It's good to take a break from it and recharge.

Good luck recovering all your stuff.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

Sephonae wrote:
My guess is that you've seen it all so much already that you may be a little burned-out on it,

I remember several years ago CM saying how he couldn't read one of his own books for quite a while after it was published. I thought this strange until I finished a book of my own. Couldn't stand to read it. Took a long time before I could just relax and enjoy it.

Stay away from it for a while, or as you're re-typing, go off in some new and uncharted direction. Just for fun. Wink You can always go back to the original version if it doesn't work out...

And I use gmail for backup as well. Every couple of chapters I send myself an email attachment.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

Re: A Catastrophe and A Question  Reply with quote  

LostInWalmart wrote:
My manuscript died. It's a whole convoluted thing related to a new laptop, a flaky Mac, a questionable flash drive, possibly some sacramental beer, and stupidity. In any case, my main file and my backup were both corrupted. Done. Kilt. [this is the catastrophe]

So, I have a paper version and an uncorrupted notes file, so all is not lost. I began re-typing the manuscript (83 pages prior to its demise) and realized that, well, it sucks so much ass. And not in any good way you might be thinking of. [actually this may be the catastrophe]

So the question: why does my writing suck?

Please be creative and don't spare my feelings.

Thank you.

B

It probably doesn't suck quite as much as you think. You are just being hard on yourself. I get this problem all the time when I write and it is the main reason I give up on a lot of projects. But the ones I have finished are the ones I dedicated myself to, and when they sucked I realized it and fixed it to where it doesn't suck so badly. I think you have an opportunity with the whole retyping thing. You have a chance to go back and fix all the things you think suck and make them not so sucky. Stick to it, don't give up. That's my advice.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

You'd think by now some software company would have invented a computer program that can work as an optional tool in a word-processor to identify and highlight all the sucky parts of a document.

For PCs, they could call the product "MicroSucks" or something like that. Laughing

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Watching The Wheels

mllefifi wrote:
You'd think by now some software company would have invented a computer program that can work as an optional tool in a word-processor to identify and highlight all the sucky parts of a document.

For PCs, they could call the product "MicroSucks" or something like that. Laughing

I'd be terribly afraid software like that wouldn't even let me *open* the word processor. "Sorry, your incredible amounts of suck have lost you your Word Processing privileges. This is for your own good. Have you considered a career as a mime?"

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
knikkki

I thought this was a technical question.

Writing is hard. Good writing even harder. Great writing more elusive still.

I know how you feel. At least all your co-workers didn't read your sucky writing before you realized it sucked. Embarassed

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

I back up on pen drives and on my gmail

As to the sucky writing...um....because...um...
Blame your parents...or Jeff.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:

That's what I do too. It's my only back-up mechanism.

Shup up. I'm a girl. Girls don't back up. Did you not see Sex and the City?

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tirusthevirus

Wow. I am more than familiar with this problem. When I was 12 I started writing my first novel. 3 years later I typed the last paragraph. I must have been using MicroSucks, because then it crashed my computer and corrupted the file.
Unfortunately, my uncle is a computer genius, so he wrote a program that could recover my file. It did, but it was separated into 2000000000 or so sectors and all the letters separated by .'s so I had to copy each sector and retype everything.
Once I finished retyping it I realized it was such shit that I really couldn't even care to back it up or even print it after that. I think I eventually erased it.
Later, I didn't learn my lesson, and I lost 2 complete manuscripts in the same manner. Maybe I should stop using MicroSucks.
Anyway, one of my manuscripts that I lost sucked badly enough that rather than retype the corrupted MS, I decided to completely rewrite it. Believe it or not, the new version is actually a bazillion times better.
And now I've started new projects that don't suck. My advice, back up your files. Back up your backups. Backup the backups of your backups and so on. Rewrite your MS until you're happy with it. Or start a new project (one that you are happy with).
Anyway, almost everyone writes shitty first drafts. The idea is to just keep rewriting until it's no longer shit.

- Bryce

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: