Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Reading Suggestions

Chuck Palahniuk's new book coming out tue...

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
papichulo69r

Chuck Palahniuk's new book coming out tue...  Reply with quote  

who gonna pick it up ? "Tell-All"

His last one, Pygmy , had its moments but was a kinda hard read for me. Im gonna take a wait and see approach with Tell-All.

Post Sat May 01, 2010 7:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

I've never read any of his books. Any discussion of them has always led me to believe that he hasn't written a book I'd enjoy reading yet.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 7:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lisa

I study reading from the literary point of view and work through Authors. Palahniuk is strange. And it takes a bit to write Snuff.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Uptown_Toodeloo

So far the only book from him I have bothered with was Diary. It was ok. Kind of predictable. Not enough to bother with anthing else by him. Unless someone has a suggestion that they think is a better selection. It could have just been that book.

Post Thu May 06, 2010 6:51 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sean

I really enjoyed both Fight Club and Rant.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message
suetu

I violently hated Tell-All. Longest 200 pages I ever read. I'll post a link to my review once written.

http://inoneeyeouttheother.blogspot.com/

Post Wed May 19, 2010 5:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

suetu wrote:

I violently hated Tell-All. Longest 200 pages I ever read. I'll post a link to my review once written.

Yep, that's why I'm waiting for the library to get it- that's what I did with the last one...

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
suetu

My review...  Reply with quote  

Tell-All
by Chuck Palahniuk
2 stars

Let me cut to the chase… I hated this novel. I’ve read Palahniuk before, and I’ve neither loved nor hated his work. He’s got a perverse aesthetic, but the guy can write. That’s what got him the two stars. But this was the longest 200 pages I’ve ever had to read. Slim as this volume is, getting through it was torture.

Tell-All is the story of fading Hollywood star, Katherine Kenton, and it’s told from the POV of her… Assistant? Confidant? Maid? Consigliere? Anyway, the singularly unpleasant and deeply possessive first-person narrator is Hazie Coogan. Let me tell you, if I never read the phrase “my Miss Kathie” again, it will be too soon.

It’s hard to summarize the plot of this novel because ultimately there’s so little substance to it. Set in the golden age of Hollywood, the narrative is highly stylized. First, there are no chapters, just “Acts” and “Scenes.” Cinematic, rather than literary, vernacular is used to set these scenes, such as Act I, Scene Eight: “We open with a panning shot of Miss Kathie’s boudoir mantel, the lineup of wedding photos and awards. Next we dissolve to a similar panning shot, moving across the surface of a console table in her drawing room, crowded with more trophies. Then, we dissolve to yet another similar shot…”

All proper names are in bold-face, with those names dropped by the dozens in the style of old-time gossip sheets. Just paragraph after paragraph of filler. And if that’s not enough, Palahniuk regales us with dozens of “witticisms” attributed to famed gossip columnists. For instance, “This prattle, further example of what WALTER WINCHELL means by the term ‘toast-masturbating.’ Or ‘laud mouthing,’ according to HEDDA HOPPER. According to LOUELLA PARSONS, ‘implying gilt.’” Over and over and over.

Then there were the lengthy passages along the lines of, “This woman is POCAHONTAS. She is ATHENA and HERA. Lying in this messy, unmade bed, eyes closed, this is JULIET CAPULET. BLANCHE DUBOIS. SCARLET O’HARA. With ministrations of lipstick and eyeliner I give birth to OPHELIA. To MARIE ANTOINETTE. Over the next trip of the larger hand around the face of the bedside clock, I give form to LUCREZIA BORGIA…” I’ll spare you further, but trust me, it goes on for some time. Why say something once when you can say it sixteen times?

And aside from the redundant, redundant, redundant text, even the plot eventually repeats and repeats six or seven or eight times (I lost count) with identically-staged murder attempts. By the time I reached “the surprise ending” as Hazie calls it, I was just so very glad my ordeal was over.

http://inoneeyeouttheother.blogspot.com/

Post Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Starchild

I read it. It was very short (less than 200 pgs). There was a lot of name-dropping involved. It's OK, but not one of his best.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: