Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

You ALWAYS Judge a Book by its Cover...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

You ALWAYS Judge a Book by its Cover...  Reply with quote  

As those of you who have published your work before, you know the importance of a good cover. I just got these designs back from some people I hired to give both of my existing titles facelifts, and I wanted to see what you all thought of them. I think they are pretty nifty, but I am biased.

and

What do you all think?

P.S. I'm not trying to spam the message board by doing this, I'm just looking for some objective feedback. If I have overstepped my bounds please let me know.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LostInWalmart

I like em both. They show a little hint of content, and have style. Only thing I would change is to keep your name font the same on both. I like the Son of Santa font best.

Nice work.

B

(oh, and you way overstepped your bounds here - you know we don't do things outside the box.)

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sephonae

I like the Happy Valley cover. The Son of Santa is snazzy, but it puts me in mind of a Macy's circular (which may be what you're going for, but isn't doing much for me).

Also, the HV cover gives a hint of "kooky," which would totally ensnare me. The SOS, not so much (though maybe it's not kooky?).

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

LostInWalmart wrote:
I[...] oh, and you way overstepped your bounds here - you know we don't do things outside the box.)

I prefer to "push the edge of the envelope," as long as I don't get a paper-cut. Razz

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
urhangovergirl

Sephonae wrote:
I like the Happy Valley cover. The Son of Santa is snazzy, but it puts me in mind of a Macy's circular (which may be what you're going for, but isn't doing much for me).

Also, the HV cover gives a hint of "kooky," which would totally ensnare me. The SOS, not so much (though maybe it's not kooky?).

I completely agree with this. 100%.

I also think you should go with the same font for your name on both books-but i prefer the first one myself. Very Happy I would totally pick up Happy Valley just the way it is!

so...what's it about and when can I get it? Cool

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

I really like them both. The Son of Santa doesn't make me think of a catalog at all.

What is the importance of having the same font for the author's name? Just curious.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

I don't think it's important per se, but subliminally it links the two together in the reader's/buyer's mind. Like when you see AG's name, it's in a certain font/style and you think "Hey, another one by that tall guy who's funny! I must spend my money on it now!"

I like how we all have different opinions on the covers - we must be sooo helpful.

B

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:31 am   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it Smile

Many authors have their name in the same font on lots of their books. It's sort of like an unofficial logo, if you will. I don't think I'm that far along in my career or reputation to have something like that, though. I think if I did it, it would come off as cocky and arrogant, like I think I'm better than I actually am. I may do that when I get a little more established, though.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
deb

Up next: Picking Ray's baby's name.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

sugarraydodge wrote:
Many authors have their name in the same font on lots of their books. It's sort of like an unofficial logo, if you will. I don't think I'm that far along in my career or reputation to have something like that, though. I think if I did it, it would come off as cocky and arrogant, like I think I'm better than I actually am.

Nuh-uh. It's just branding and doesn't really imply anything. LIW's absolutely right; it links your "products" in the reader/consumer's mind. Granted, a true fan will likely purchase your future work, regardless (though it is easier to find AG's new stuff in the shops because I'm familiar with the font/art-work).

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

deb wrote:
Up next: Picking Ray's baby's name.

I already know what my kids' names will be. My first baby girl will be named Reagan, and my first baby boy will be named Rush. Smile Just kidding... sort of. I really think Reagan is a cool name for a girl.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

sugarraydodge wrote:
I really think Reagan is a cool name for a girl.

If you respell that to "Regan," your daughter would be named after one of the two NASTY sisters in King Lear, and thereby link her to the AG's new novel. Razz

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
deb

mllefifi wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:
I really think Reagan is a cool name for a girl.

If you respell that to "Regan," your daughter would be named after one of the two NASTY sisters in King Lear, and thereby link her to the AG's new novel. Razz

Plus, no doubt recreate the starring role played by Linda Blair in "The Exorcist"

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lisa

I love the covers!

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leprrkan

^ Ditto, I think they're both great. They would catch my eye just because they look quirky, especially the top one. The colors work really well too, clean and crisp, but the colors of a book cover are something that always catches me, it's one of the reasons I didn't get on the Harry Potter train right away, the muddle of the colors was a turn off for me.

- "Bones"

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: