Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Interuptions

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
TATATA

Interuptions  Reply with quote  

So, say you get into a groove and you write like 10 - 20 pages and you have to stop because you have a day job, and deal with nuisant children,yadda, yadda yadda.

When you go back to the piece, say 3,4 ,5 or 14 days later, do you have to reread the whole piece to catch yourself up? And if so, how do you not get sucked into endless rewrites of those 10 pages rather than moving on?

Or does that happen to anyone?

Mae West

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
DoctorBollocks

how about forgetting what you wrote the day before?

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

I guess treat it how you would if you got interrupted reading-
back up a couple of paragraphs or so & if you're confused, go back to the beginning of the chapter...

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

You could keep a brief outline on the side as you're writing. That way, when you go back to a passage, you can skim the outline rather than read the whole thing.

Definitely keeping notes on which character is who (and their names) could help.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

mllefifi wrote:
You could keep a brief outline on the side as you're writing. That way, when you go back to a passage, you can skim the outline rather than read the whole thing.

Definitely keeping notes on which character is who (and their names) could help.

Good ideas, Feef. I've done that with index cards in the past but have moved on to creating an "action" outline (this is what happens, with these folks, in this particular order) - but it's a loose guideline, you know? If I feel things flowing in a different direction, so be it. I update the outline and move on.

Tatata, it depends on what I was writing at the time of interuption. If I was in a chapter, I'd probably re-read the other parts of that chapter before writing more of it. If I'd finished a chapter, I'd likely refer to my index cards/notes to see what I should work on next.

Also; I'm kinda old-school in that I hand-write my first drafts. Therefore, I'm not too tempted to edit the crap out of stuff I'm reviewing. When I've completed the 1st draft, the "type-up" becomes my second draft, since I tweak as I go. I've left out pages of stuff (and also added pages of stuff) doing my 2nd draft this way.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

Lately I've been doing something similar to what Seph said with the outline. When I'm ready to stop, whether for an hour or a week, I leave myself a few lines so I rememeber where I'm going next. Sometimes the first few lines of the next segment as well as outline notes. Sure makes getting back in the flow a lot easier...

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poofiemus

A classic trick for NaNoWriMo is to leave your sentence unfinished before you leave. It works wonders for kicking you back into the flow of what you were doing. Then you really only have to skim that paragraph rather than several pages.

I second the idea of character notes, too. Personally, I have to make notes of appearance while I'm at it. If I don't, I tend to accidentally change their eye colors. Not as Mood Ring Eyes , but just because I totally forgot. ^^;;

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

Poofiemus wrote:
A classic trick for NaNoWriMo is to leave your sentence unfinished before you leave. It works wonders for kicking you back into the flow of what you were doing.

Hey, neat idea!

Poofiemus wrote:
I second the idea of character notes, too. Personally, I have to make notes of appearance while I'm at it. If I don't, I tend to accidentally change their eye colors. Not as Mood Ring Eyes , but just because I totally forgot. ^^;;

Laughing

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SkyVenom

I'm still in high school. And everyday (after homework) I try my hardest to get some work done on myy book, but its sooo hard!
I've got a little brother who bugs me all the F-ing time to do his homework for him, i've got a unsupportive mom who wants my to become a cook instead of a writer (soo she always makes me get off the computer!) and a dad who makes me get off the computer to go on ESPN.com!
And on top of it all, i have a very slow computer.

I really need a labtop.

-Skylr Ciolino

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: