Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

The Blood Lands

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
funbagz

The Blood Lands  Reply with quote  

Here's one of my first attempts at a script.

Hope ya like it.

THE BLOOD LANDS

EXT. MARTIAN SURFACE - DAY

In a high view above the Martian surface a large mass of troops in militarized space suites quickly charge towards a trench a few hundred yards away.

The camera plummets downward into the trench. The trench is riddled with more soldiers on the opposing side, hurrying around preparing for the oncoming battle.

Billy sits with his back pressing against the trench wall calmly loading his weapon with a deadpan face behind his helmet, flinching a little with every bullet that ricochets just above his head.

BILLY V.O
With all this death I can't help but think of my grandfather. He said that in war there is always three sides: your side, their side, and the truth. All this started with a truth and the lack of it.

A blinding light flashes above Billy's head, followed by a loud explosion that fills the camera's view in nothing but red dust.

CUT TO:

INT. SPACE ELEVATOR - DAY

The camera shows sunrise over the Martian surface.

TEXT
TWO WEEKS EARLIER.

TEXT
FEBRUARY 11, 2189 AD.

The camera pans left and a massive metallic pillar comes into view that stretches endlessly into the sky, so tall the top cannot be seen

TEXT
MARS SPACE ELEVATOR, BUILT 2089.

An elevator descends from the side of the endlessly tall pillar with Billy and Trent inside.

TRENT
The truth is your family is seriously screwed up.

BILLY
Yeah, but so is yours.

TRENT
No, mines dysfunctional, there is a difference.

BILLY
How so?

TRENT
My mom is a pill popping drunk and my dad screws the housekeeper. Your mom on the other hand would hold your hand over the stove until your fingernails started falling off, because you wouldn't do your homework...

BILLY
That only happened twice.

TRENT
And what about your dad? He made you say the pledge of allegiance ten times before he'd let you go to the bathroom.

BILLY
My dad is a jerk but at least he's patriotic.

TRENT
Dude, he snuck you into executions when you were five years old to "make a man out of you"!

BILLY
I didn't cry when my dog died after that.

TRENT
Your mom killed your dog with your dad's antique M16 because Scruffy pissed on her tulips, and why are you even defending them? We came out here so you could get the hell away from them!

BILLY
No, I left because I didn't want my father to force me into the Army, and get a Pepsi bullet in my ass.

MIDDLE AGED WOMAN
Pepsi owns an Army too? I thought Haliburton owned all the armed forces.

BILLY
Pepsi, Haliburton, same difference.

OLD MAN
Colas have never been the same since they started putting cocain back in them.

TRENT
This is a private conversation, do you mind?

OLD MAN
Sorry.

BILLY
(Billy's eyes widen in alarm)What was that?

TRENT
What was what?

BILLY
Didn't you hear..

The entire elevator begins to shake violently, Trent, Billy and the rest of the passengers are thrown around like rag dolls.

The sound of steel cables bursting under enormous strain echoes loudly in the elevator. The elevator quickly enters free fall as elevators with their cables severed tend to do.

BILLY
Holy sh...

Red, flashy, and loud alarms sound and fill the elevator in horror. The passengers are pinned to the ceiling, screaming their lungs out in mind killing panic.

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
Warning structural fault detected.

TRENT
No shit moron!

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
Emergency ejection is recommended.

OLD MAN
Then by all means, eject!

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
Ejection in progress, and thank you for choosing Mars Line still the safest way to travel.

Everyone in the elevator rolls their eyes in unison.

The elevator continues to plummet down the side of the tall metal pillar until a small explosion rips the elevator from its few remaining umbilicals to the pillar and sends the elevator tumbling through thin air.

The occupants are now rendered weightless inside the elevator, they float around and bump into each other like weightless bumper cars.

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
Deploying parachutes.

Three parachutes explode outwards from the top of the elevator and inflate to resemble three giant white jellyfish floating calmly with a metal box tied to their tentacles.

As soon as the parachutes opened and the elevator was no longer in free fall, gravity returns and all the passengers crash face first to the steel floor below.

BILLY
Ow.

All the passengers lay pilled on top of each other. Trent lays crossways on top of Billy while Trent rubs his back in pain.

TRENT
Ah, my back.

BILLY
Trent, get your fat ass off of me!

TRENT
It's not fat.

BILLY
Fine, get your boney ass off me.

TRENT
That's better.

BILLY
Get off me!

Billy gets to his knees and sends Trent toppling onto the old man that ordered the elevator to save all their lives.

TRENT
Sorry dude.

Trent apologies even when he steps on the old man's face in order to stand up.

OLD MAN
Why are you using that archaic expression?

TRENT
What, dude?

OLD MAN
Yeah.

BILLY
Trent is a big history buff, he loves to use ancient slang.

TRENT
Yeah, Playa.

Trent then makes some awkward hand gestures that Trent thinks are gang signs.

MIDDLE AGED WOMAN
Why did you say "I'm a stupid little girl" in sign language?

TRENT
No, it's an old New York gang sign.

OLD MAN
That sounds like a pretty girly gang to me.

TRENT
I'm going to kill the history teacher who taught me that.

The entire elevator bursts into laughter as they calmly sway back and forth in the Martian winds to the bright orange dirt below.

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN

INT. SPACE ELEVATOR - DAY

All the occupants of the elevator are finishing putting on their logo drenched white space suits. While the old man struggles in jerking motions to close the zipper on his space suit.

OLD MAN
Why do they make these damn things for twelve year old Asian girls?

TRENT
Because they were made in China.

BILLY
But what isn't.

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
The space suite surcharges have been automatically deducted from your accounts.

The elevator doors awkwardly open halfway, the sound of an electric motor shorting out drifts out the door and into the open Martian countryside.

ELEVATOR COMPUTER
Welcome to Mars, where lawsuits against corporations are prohibited, and thank you again for choosing Mars Line.

BILLY
Like we have a choice?

The passengers pile out of the elevator into the wind swept Martian countryside.

Billy stares upward, frozen in place, rendered speechless.

TRENT
What is it now?

All Billy can do is point a shaky finger in horror.

Trent and the rest of the passengers follow Billy's gaze looking upward in dismay to see the metal pillar shattering into mile long fragments in an enormous explosion.

TRENT
Oh my god!

The half dozen passengers stand frozen in place, unaware that one of those mile long eighty-thousand ton fragments is hurtling towards them.

The large fragment casts an eclipsing shadow over the small group.

Finally the life threatening situation dawns on the shell shocked group and they begin to flee like cockroaches just about to be stepped on by a really big shoe.

The huge serrated fragment harpoons the earth and flattens the elevator, the impact erupts a large shockwave that flings the group into red, dusty oblivion.

CUT TO BLACK

FADE IN

In blurry vision from the perspective of Billy a helicopter hovers overhead casting a bright spotlight over the survivors.

CUT TO:

The helicopter has landed and several men in governmental spacesuits are surveying the unconscious group.

One of the men surveying the group jogs to a man that seems to be the leader of the men.

LIEUTENANT
Sir, they look pretty banged up, but they should survive.

COMMANDER
That could be a problem.

LIEUTENANT
Sir?

COMMANDER
We need casualties lieutenant, or the workers will expect pay for their over time to fix this damn thing. (The commander points at the giant metal stump of the space elevator)

LIEUTENANT
All of them sir?

COMMANDER
No, we need someone alive to blame and execute.

LIEUTENANT
The elevator flight recorder indicates that the old man here, name Brian Brady ordered the elevator to eject that saved all their lives.

COMMANDER
He'll do.

LIEUTENANT
According to the roster we also have the grandson of the retired general Charles Roth.

COMMANDER
A young heroic survivor with a military pedigree could be useful.

LIEUTENANT
My thoughts exactly sir.

COMMANDER
But to make him a hero he'll need to have saved at least one of them.

LIEUTENANT
He was traveling with his friend Trenton Carrier

COMMANDER
Very good, spare the useful, eliminate the rest.

LIEUTENANT
(stands rigid and solutes hard) Sir!

The lieutenant marches back to the survivors and his men standing over them.

LIEUTENANT
Take these three to the hopper.

He points at the old man, Billy and Trent.

SOLDIER
And the rest sir?

LIEUTENANT
Take the three to the hopper as ordered soldier.

SOLDIER
Yes sir!

The half dozen soldiers grab the three lucky survivors, two soldiers grab each survivor under their armpits and drag them towards the hopper.

The lieutenant stands uneasy and waits for his men to get out of sight behind the hopper.

The lieutenant grabs his riffle that dangles from his shoulder from a nylon strap.

The lieutenant grips his riffle tightly in his gloved hands, he stands over the still unconscious survivors, he stares at them for a moment.

The lieutenant exhales heavily and leans over the middle aged woman laying at his feet.

He rases his riffle high over his head and slams the butt of the riffle right into the plexiglass visor of her helmet.

The woman's helmet cracks and whistles leaking air, but does not shatter completely.

The lieutenant rases his riffle again and brings it swiftly down on her helmet that explodes from the internal compression of pressurized oxygen.

The middle aged woman is now exposed to the deadly Martian atmosphere, she gasps and coughs desperately trying to cling to life.

Her eyes fling open, her body spasms violently, she claws at the lieutenant for help.

The lieutenant restrains the dying woman, he wears a deadpan face.

MIDDLE AGED WOMAN
Oh my God, help me please!

She goes limp, the life drains from her eyes.

The wind kicks up a ball of dust that covers her face and breaks her gaze from the lieutenant.

CUT TO:

INT. HOPPER - DAY

The three remaining survivors lay on the deck of the hopper hooked up to monitoring equipment still in their spacesuits.

The six military men hang at the lip of the hanger door of the hopper awaiting their commanding officer's return.

The lieutenant emerges from out of the red Martian dust.

The lieutenant approaches his men out of breath from the effort of smashing the other survivors' helmets.

LIEUTENANT
Soldier.

SOLDIER
Sir?

Billy is stirred awake by the soldiers loud firm reply to the lieutenant.

Billy picks his head from off the deck and listens in on the soldiers conversation.

LIEUTENANT
Take the men and retrieve the bodies.

SOLDIER
What happened sir?

LIEUTENANT
Their helmets didn't withstand the impact, they were dead when we arrived.

SOLDIER
I enlisted to get rid of the terrorists, not kill innocent civilians, sir.

LIEUTENANT
Your selfish visions of personal glory are going to get you killed soldier.

BILLY
Better to kill the innocent to serve the corrupt goals of greasy politicians than risk your own pathetic lives?

LIEUTENANT
Why the hell isn't he anesthetized?

MEDIC
He has a severe concussion, a tranquilizer could drop him into a coma.

LIEUTENANT
If he hears anymore it could be fatal, do it!

MEDIC
Yes sir.

The medic injects a large gage needle into a small port in Billy's spacesuit.

The medic pushes down on the needle plunger and forces a thick blue liquid into Billy.

In billy's perspective vision begins to tunnel and blur with the lieutenant staring holes into billy.

LIEUTENANT
(sigh) This could be a problem...

FADE TO BLACK

CUT TO:

INT. VAN - DAY

In the back of a cramped cargo van the lieutenant and the commander stand over a young woman sitting at a computer terminal with multiple screens displaying a crowed of the press asking questions and flashing cameras.

SARAH
Sir, I'm getting some resistance on the servos, I think he's waking up.

LIEUTENANT
That kid has the annoying habit of waking up at the wrong damn time.

We move through the computer screen seeing through the eyes of Billy at the press conference.

TRANSFER TO:

EXT. PRESS CONFERENCE STAGE - DAY

An attractive female reporter leans forward towards Billy showing her ripe cleavage.

FEMALE REPORTER
How's it feel to be hero?

The camera continues forward beyond Billy's vision into the crowd, the camera pans back to face Billy who smiles fake and responds like a robot.

INT. VAN - DAY

The commander clutches a small microphone in his hand and speaks into it addressing the press a few city blocks away.

COMMANDER
It feels pretty good, I just wish I could have done more...

CUT TO:

BILLY
...to save all those poor people.

Billy parrots the commander, and smiles like a politician.

Another reporter reaches over the crowed to vide for Billy's attention.

MALE REPORTER
In the few minutes before the tragic event did Brian Brady give any indication why he ejected the elevator for no reason?

BILLY
He just started screaming nonsense and the next thing I knew the elevator ejected us by Mr. Brady's order.

MALE REPORTER
How do you feel about the man who is responsible for the deaths of five innocent people?

BILLY
I hope Mr. Brady is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

An older female reporter yells from the back of the crowed of press.

FEMALE REPORTER #2
According to the coroner's report the victims all died from exposure to the Marian atmosphere.

INT. VAN - DAY

LIEUTENANT
That's not one of the scripted questions. Who is she, Sarah get a camera on her, I want an I.D. on her now.

SARAH
On it.

CUT TO:

BILLY
I'm sorry I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

Billy stammers struggling to answer.

FEMALE REPORTER #2
If the victims actually died from a force strong enough to shatter their helmets it would have liquified their organs before they could have taken a single breath.

Billy's face continues to twitch uncontrollably.

CUT TO:

INT. VAN - DAY

SARAH
The facial servos are overheating, we're losing him sir.

COMMANDER
Get him out of there.

LIEUTENANT
Do we still have control of his body?

SARAH
Yes, sir.

LIEUTENANT
Drop em, and make sure he hits his head hard.

The lieutenant grabs another microphone from off the computer terminal and radios one of his men.

LIEUTENANT
Officer Bretta.

BRETTA
Sir.

LIEUTENANT (V.O.)
Mr. Roth will be taking a fall in 10 seconds, get him off that stage the second he hits the ground.

BRETTA
Got it.

CUT TO:

INT. VAN - DAY

The commander bangs his fist against the divider between him and the driver cab.

A slot slides open to reveal the back of the driver's head

COMMANDER
Get us to the conference, now.

LIEUTENANT
Drop em.

Sarah makes a few key strokes with a creepy grin

CUT TO:

EXT. VAN - DAY

The black cargo van's markings colors morph to make the van now look like an ambulance

The ambulance's lights flash, its sirens squeal and its tires screech as it zooms away.

INT. VAN - DAY

The lieutenant still standing is thrown to the back of the van along with anything else that isn't bolted down.

Sarah clings to her computer in order not to be thrown to the floor with the lieutenant.

The commander calmly sits in his seat holding onto an overhead railing.

Amid the chaos of flying junk food the camera passes through the computer screen and back to the stage.

TRANSFER TO:

Billy's body goes limp and he falls to the floor, hitting his head hard on the podium on his way down

LIEUTENANT(V.O.)
Bretta, now.

Officer Bretta lunges towards Billy.

LIEUTENANT(V.O.)
We'll be there in two.

Officer Bretta grabs Billy under his armpits and drags billy slowly off the stage.

A P.R. representative awkwardly moves up to the podium trying to look professional, but doesn't succeed well.

P.R. REPRESENTATIVE
Apparently Billy has not completely recovered from his injuries from his heroic actions, I must ask for all future interviews to be suspended until further notice, thank you.

The crowd of press bursts into a fury of loud questioning

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
funbagz

Any thoughts, comments, questions, opinions? Anything..?

Well, carry on. Razz

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 am   View user's profile Send private message
funbagz

Too sanctimonious?

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message
urhangovergirl

I like it Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
funbagz

Cool:)

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: