Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

BBQ

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Skippykelly

BBQ  Reply with quote  

An excerpt from my BBQ book. Don't look for the books, they're not published... Turns out; I'm a hack.

Okay, letís talk a little barbeque. In my earlier books: The Bachelor Cooks for Himself, The Bachelor Cooks for His Friends, and The Bachelor Cooks for His Date, I made an effort to recognize that a lot of men donít really feel at home in the kitchen unless he is getting himself a beer, making Mac n cheese, or microwaving takeout from four days ago that smells alright, but does have a little fuzzy green stuff growing on the lidÖ

I donít think I can say the same thing about barbeque. Maybe itís the primal nature of cooking a slab of meat over a fire that rumbles deep down in the gut of man and touches us on such a basic level that draws us outside in the dead of winter to fire up the coals. Maybe itís just another excuse to drink beer and fart somewhere no one will complain about the smell. Either way, we still find ourselves drawn to the pit.

Sometimes we become so embroiled in our passion, that we take this art to new lengths. Lovingly growing tomatoes in the garden and slowly simmering them down into our own sauce, adding strange combinations of spices and herbs in order to come up with something exceptional, something so shockingly good and unique that word gets around the neighborhood. And lo, it is heard whispered in the pubs, spoken of at church picnics, and rumored around the office that you, you who canít do toast, have such an ability to render meat that once it hits the lips it has the ability to cause spontaneous and intense passionate reactions in women, and burning envy from men.

My rub:
Ĺ cup brown sugar
ľ cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
ĺ tablespoon garlic powder
ĺ tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

My sauce:
Kraft honey bbq
cider vinegar
creamy brown mustard

My grill:
Big Green Egg

My Smoke:
Hickory

My Meat:
Pork butt

Time: 10 hours / half case of Widmer Hefe' / internal temperature of 190.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lavandula Girl

Does the Widmer go entirely into the grill guy, entirely into the recipe, or some ratio contained therein? I know how it goes at our house, but to each his own. Moneyman likes the Traeger grills. He converted one into a smoker, and his BBQ gets a smoke prior to the grill. When he makes ribs, angels sing and neighbors come from miles around to "drop by".

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Skippykelly

Sometimes the Widmer goes into a marinade, sometimes into a syringe, but most goes into my (and others') tummy...

I do like to use Jack Daniels in marinades and sauces as well it adds a smokey kick. I've found that expiramentation with my BBQ tends to increase the experience.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
BeerGnome

I like this guy.. I approve of his approach to gastrointensnail excess..

I am pleased.. I shall have him shaved and brought back to my tent

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
ken
Site Admin

Ok -- I tried this and it totally rocked.

Scotch Whiskey Barbecue Sauce

4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 jalapeno or scotch bonnet pepper, minced (optional)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup mild flavored (light) molasses
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (or more to taste, esp. if you didn't add a pepper)
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. paprika (sweet or hot smoked is best)
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup Scotch (I used Aberlour 15 yr., or use bourbon - Makers or even Jack Black, but best with smoky scotch)

Saute the onion, garlic and pepper (optional) until soft and beginning to brown - about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Add scotch and continue to cook for about another 5 minutes, until it gets pretty thick. Allow to cool overnight so flavors blend. If you want it smooth, put it in a blender or mini food processor for a few seconds.

BTW, I made this with a roasted hatch chile - I keep em frozen all year - added after the garlic and onion was cooked, and that was great.

Makes about 3 cups.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: