Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Grilled Cheese Survey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mllefifi

Wingnut wrote:
But...but...then what do I put on my hamburgers and hotdogs? Shocked

Guac. Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sparky~

Wingnut wrote:
zendao42 wrote:

Mayo shouldn't be allowed- if you have it in your kitchen, THROW IT AWAY! Evil or Very Mad

LOL

Another board I post on once had a thread entitled "Mayo: Good or Evil?" that turned into a huge and hilarious thread. People sure can get passionate about mayo, both pro and con...

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

Wingnut wrote:
zendao42 wrote:

Mayo shouldn't be allowed- if you have it in your kitchen, THROW IT AWAY! Evil or Very Mad

I bet you're one of those people who mixes mayo & ketchup together. Eww.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

I never got the difference between mayo and Miracle Whip.

Such is the state of my palate. Crying or Very sad

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jillopy

Miracle Whip is tangy....and, gross.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lavandula Girl

Also, mayo is a decent deep-conditioner when applied to your hair. Miracle whip, not so much.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
Uptown_Toodeloo

Wow, this warms my heart to see all this communal cheese loving going on. Iíve got to say that everyone here has superlative tastes in grilled cheeseosity.

Ken, anyone who puts that much thought into making a grilled cheese has my upmost respect.

So far the only combination I canít quite hang with is the swiss and mushroom combo, sorry Lavandula Girl. I donít eat mushrooms in any form, any more, and swiss cheese by itself I am not a big fan of. Itís pretty good mixed in with other things, and you would think I would like it better just based on appearance. It is such a fucking cool cheese, all full of holes like cavern. I want to shrink down and go exploring in the cheese caves. I do however fully respect you love of this combination, and I like the French Onion Soup idea and I think that rye makes a great grilled cheese.

As for the grilled mayo idea, years ago I went to culinary school for a time. I didnít finish, but instead went back to college, which I had initially dropped out of because I was way too stoned to think straight. While I was in culinary, one of the chefs told us a story that the origin of the grilled cheese had its roots at Woolworthís lunch counters back in the 40ís and 50ís, and that they originally used mayo instead of butter. Now the mayo thing seemed kind of out there to me, but when you think about what mayo is, it would not be so removed from dipping the bread in egg wash before cooking. Almost like a Monte Cristo minus the batter aspect, but not deep fried. You know, eggy, in a way like French toast only oilier. If you think about it, it makes sense.

And yet, with my love of grilled cheese, I have never wanted to venture to possibly ruin a perfectly good sandwich, and so I have never tried this. I just wondered if anyone else has.

Iíll answer the survey soon, I just wanted to clear up why I asked about the mayo on the bread thing since it seems soo alien to everybody. Ohh, and just to be clear, the story of the origins of grilled cheese could be wrong, I donít really know, but it could be right too. I do believe the whole mayo thing though, they did a lot of weird shit in the 50ís.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
Uptown_Toodeloo

What kind of bread is the best?

I am partial to most kinds of bread, except regular white bread. If I am going to eat white bread, it needs to be something other than pre-sliced wonder type bread, which sucks. I guess my favorites are multi-grain, oat meal, and whole wheat, though potato and rye come in close behind

Which is better, butter the bread and put it on a hot surface, or melt the butter first and put the bread on it.

I like to butter the bread first, you get better butter coverage that way.

Is it ok to use some kind of butter substitute, or only real butter?

Though I like the taste of real butter, it is hard to spread and does tend to scorch easily. So I have moved to using smart balance as well. In fact I have found that the organic smart balance has the best taste and melts better than regular or light. The light spreads easier, but it is funky stuff, and appears to have a fairly high melting point. Like if you use it and want to reuse the same knife, so you run hot water over it out of the faucet, it wonít come off. Kind of creepy in a butter substitute. Confused

Has anyone ever tried to use mayo instead of butter to grill the bread? (Apparently back in the Ď50ís, certain lunch counters used to do this, like Woolworths.)

I addressed this in the post above.

What kind of cheese, or combination of cheeses, makes the best grilled cheese?

Now we are at the crux of the question, because each cheese has its own personality and texture. I must say that extra sharp white cheddar is my all time favorite. I have also combined that with various selections, like pepper-jack, or provolone, or Mozzarella (preferably fresh in the brine), or feta, or munster, or lots of others. Sometimes just jack or pepper-jack is good, but it needs to be a higher quality jack, because Iíve tried a few cheaper selections and they are kinda gumish. Surprised Like you can blow bubbles with them when melted, and that my friends just doesnít sit right with me. But my usual base is the cheddar.

Is it ok to add stuff, or does that ruin the whole ďGrilled CheesinessĒ of the thing? (By stuff, it could be ham or turkey or tofu or tomato or a combination or whatever you think would be good)

Sometimes I like ham, or bacon, or bacon and tomato, or just tomato, or turkey can be good, even with avocado added, mmmmm. Sometimes I just want to destroy some toasty, buttery multi grain with cheddar.

Is it ok to use blue cheese in a grilled cheese?

Hell yes it is. Very Happy Now I will agree that only blue cheese is too strong, and I speak from experience, but add some blue cheese to some really sharp cheddar, and maybe add some ham and look out. Of course, it is necessary to have a taste for blue cheese, and I like really strong blue cheese. Like the kind with the deep blue veins that make your spit gland shrink up and your jaw clench when you eat it. mmmm, yummy. Twisted Evil I do recognize that is not for everyone.

What kind of soup goes best with a grilled cheese? (Itís ok to be boring and say tomato soup)

I really like tomato soup with my grilled cheese. Canned or homemade, Iím not that picky. I do know a good recipe for homemade cream of tomato soup, but it makes a lot of soup, and takes a lot of tomatoes, and takes a really long time to cook, like 3 hours, so I donít make it very often.

I also like macaroni and bean soup. It is like pasta fagioli soup with out meat. A light tomato base, not thick like tomato soup is, with white (navy) beans and small macaroni pieces. It rocks. Served with parm*.

For chowder, well a nice corn chowder, with possibly blue crab added, is excellent, but I would have to go with a lighter cheese combo with the because of the cream content.

I have to say that, though I love chicken soup, with or without noodles, it doesnít do it for me when grilled cheese is involved.

*A note about parm. I personally only use and recommend shredded parm. Grated parm, or romano for that matter, if it is prepackaged has additives that help prevent clumping or caking. The additive that is used is cellulous. Cellulous is, as most of us already know, the cellular wall of a plant, any plant has this substance. Itís what gives plants their support. The thicker the cellulous, the more rigid the pant becomes, and the less likely to wilt. The cellulous used in food additives is a finely ground sawdust from some type of tree. I just hope not oleander or hemlock. Shocked Wink I am not sure which type of tree/s they use. This saw dust is also used by some bread makers to bulk their product up. If you see the term cellulous in the ingredients on a package of bread, it is sawdust. The fact that it is sawdust doesnít really bother me seeing as how I eat lots of other forms of cellulous in fruits and vegetables, but when cooking with parm, when the cheese melts it separates from the cellulous and leaves a slightly gritty texture. If you have ever used the green can of parm to make an alfredo, you would have noticed that there are little tiny bits of something in the sauce that donít cook down, and that would be the cellulous. So, use shredded, or get whole pieces and grate your own. END RANT Wink

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Re: Grilled Cheese Survey  Reply with quote  

Uptown_Toodeloo wrote:
What kind of cheese, or combination of cheeses, makes the best grilled cheese?
. . .
Is it ok to use blue cheese in a grilled cheese?
There is a hamburger stand in Ann Arbor called Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger. It's no relation to Blimpy's, just a little burger stand that's managed to hold on for 50 years or so. They serve what they bill as The Ultimate Cheese Sandwich, which includes blue, sharp cheddar, and three other cheese types. For a bit more, they'll put bacon on it.

Dammit, now I want to go to Crazy Jim's.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Jillopy wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
zendao42 wrote:

I bet you're one of those people who mixes mayo & ketchup together. Eww.

Yeah, everybody knows you're supposed to mix mustard & ketchup together & dip your sandwich in that... Wink

FYI, I also have a recipe for fake hot dogs in eggroll wrappers that kicks ass-
haven't made it in a while, but sometimes we make it as chilli dogs-
of course, with fake meat chili, they're really filling... Very Happy

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Does anyone make fake vegetables or fruits out of meat?

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wingnut

mllefifi wrote:

Yeah, WTF? If you're gonna be a vegetarian, then eat your damned vegetables. Don't try and pass them off as meat. That's just sick! Twisted Evil Wink

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
ken
Site Admin

Watching The Wheels wrote:
What kind of bread is the best?
I love potato bread or rye.

Can't believe I didn't think of that... yeah Swiss on Rye is about as good as any of the others...

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
zendao42

Wingnut wrote:
mllefifi wrote:

Yeah, WTF? If you're gonna be a vegetarian, then eat your damned vegetables. Don't try and pass them off as meat. That's just sick! Twisted Evil Wink

Don't knock it til you try it- told ya, I'm a carbo-loader & I'll eat it any way I want it... Razz

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JustAGirl

mllefifi wrote:

No, but I make mountains out of mole hills.

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: