Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Trying again
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Skippykelly

Trying again  Reply with quote  

I'm going to try this writing thing again but would like some input. Which perspective is better / easier to write from in your experience? First person or third person? I tried first person and it seems to be a little limiting and sometimes awkward, especially when you're not writing from actual personal experience, but haven't tried to write from a third person perspective yet...

thanks

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 am   View user's profile Send private message
Poofiemus

I always write in third person omniscient. I like being able to hop around in perspectives at whim without confusing the crap out of my reader.

It's largely a matter of personal taste, though. First person can be a lot more personal, I just find writing in it too restricting. My Co-ML for NaNoWriMo, though, prefers to write in first person. She started this year's novel in third, and switched to first after only 3K.

I'd say try a few experiments in each perspective and see what suits you best. Even then, some stories might do better with one perspective than the other. Note how Chris switches to first person for Lamb, but sticks to third for everything else.

Like I said, it's a matter of both personal preference and the needs of your particular story. You can change partway through your first draft if you want to, even, and then go back and fix it later.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Sk, don't forget that it's legitimate to use more than one person in the course of the same story -- as long as it's justified, as in quoting a diary (Abby Normal), or creating a dramatic focus (the ending of Tale of Two Cities), etc.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

In my experience, 1st person is harder. Obviously, it limits your ability to get into all of the character's heads, as well as using mulitple settings and simultaneous action. It forces you to have a voice, but to be honest, a lot of writer's don't have that yet, and it ends up sounding horrible.

The up side is that you CAN develop a stronger voice, which can be a huge boon to writing humor, and it can establish a character with whom the reader immediately has a relationship. It's a lot easier to paint yourself into a corner, however. (At one point in Lamb I had to have Biff tell part of the story as "Josh told me what happened later", because I needed to show simultaneous action in two different locations. It can be distracting. You can also do both, as long as there are definitive breaks between the first and third person section. (You Suck is written that way.)

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Another way to use first person is to switch between characters. Heinlein did it in "Number of the Beast" - it's divided up mostly between the four main characters. They are all travelling together and experiencing the same things, but each has a different take on them, different opinions, etc. The chapter headings tell you who's voice the author is speaking in (Jake, Zeb, Deety, etc...) I thought it worked well.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

My current attempt at writing (and almost all my other very much less successful attempts) have been first person. While I find it harder with respect to getting the story across, I find it much easier because it means I can write in a single voice. That said, I'm not certain how good it is yet - I'm nearly done (discipline is not my strong point). No, really I am.

Since starting my current piece, I've found that I cherish the "painted into a corner" moments because, though frustrating, they usually spark inspiration that leads to some of the better moments in my story. Those who have been kind enough to read what I've written and have seen the evolution of the story would hopefully back that up.

I'm learning as I go along, but I relish the challenge.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wingnut

I relish my hamburgers. I mustard my hotdogs.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

Wingnut wrote:
I relish my hamburgers. I mustard my hotdogs.

Don't verb your condiments or I may have to chutney your testicles.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Boota

I love writing in first person when I write humor. I've heard lots of writers say it is harder, but it just felt natural to me, so I ran with it.

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Skippykelly

Well, than you for your feedback. I now have about 20k words. None of them really make any sense, but they're there...

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Are there at least some rare & interesting words in it? Wink

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

It's very helpful if you take all those words and put them into some sort of structure containing different parts of speech. Verbs are extremely useful at this point in the process. Also, it allows you to insert all sorts of punctuation(!).

Good luck with that!

B

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Does the "Magnetic Poetry" company sell a boxed set of, say, 50,000 or so different words?

If so, that might inspire me to write a novel!

Then again, in order to have something to attach the words to, I'd have to get a hold of several dozen refrigerators...

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skippykelly

Here's a sample: pussycat, death, propositioning, schtupping, transfixed, sex, nipple...

Plus there are neat colorful characters like Skyy Coqueblower, Mr. Yankee Cap, Mr. No Pants, Ms Hot Teenage Prostitute Girl, an angry mob, and lots of cats.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:05 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Boota wrote:
I love writing in first person when I write humor. I've heard lots of writers say it is harder, but it just felt natural to me, so I ran with it.

As long as it's not scissors, you're okay.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: