Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

RE: The Dog drank Kool-aid

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DustyGuy

RE: The Dog drank Kool-aid  Reply with quote  

Hi Chris! I was minding my own business the other day at a coffee shop when I over heard this remark from behind me....." My Grandmother is as independent as a pig on ice!" I had to turn around and give them an incredulous, "HUH??" I mean, I've been around a few pigs in my day, and I have found them to be anything but graceful. Perhaps there exists out there somewhere the piggy equivalent of a Kristy Yamaguchi, but I think we'd have heard about it. In short, I'd think a pig would actually, in the event it found itself suddenly in the middle of a frozen lake, be somewhat DE pendent. Or, if capable of such a thought, "I really fucked the dog on that one" as I think, did the aforementioned speaker.

PS: I work in construction. In the South. Your childhood pal, Steve has nothing on some of the remarks I've heard. How about, "I'd eat up ten miles of phone line just to hear to her fart in my ear."

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

Re: RE: The Dog drank Kool-aid  Reply with quote  

DustyGuy wrote:
How about, "I'd eat up ten miles of phone line just to hear to her fart in my ear."

Aw! That's so sweet! Wink Laughing

Welcome, Dusty. Why don't you mosey on over to Who's Who and tell us a little something about yourself?

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillopy

Re: RE: The Dog drank Kool-aid  Reply with quote  

DustyGuy wrote:
....." My Grandmother is as independent as a pig on ice!" ... In short, I'd think a pig would actually, in the event it found itself suddenly in the middle of a frozen lake, be somewhat DE pendent....

Have you thought that maybe that was the exact point being made??

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Jillopy wrote:
DustyGuy wrote:

....." My Grandmother is as independent as a pig on ice!" ... In short, I'd think a pig would actually, in the event it found itself suddenly in the middle of a frozen lake, be somewhat DE pendent....

Have you thought that maybe that was the exact point being made??

Many long years ago, the lovely lady with whom I was living had a book titled "Hog On Ice" which was an exploration into the origin of that phrase and several others. As Jillopy pointed out, the term "...as independent as a pig on ice" as well as "...as graceful as a hog on ice" are meant to describe someone who is decidedly not either of those things. As I recall, the authors of the book didn't actually settle on the origin of the phrase.

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DustyGuy

Hog on Ice  Reply with quote  

Wow!! I knew I would be in the company of some astute minds here! Actually I asked the person in question what she meant by her remark, and she said she honestly didn't know, that it was just something she'd heard her mother say. To find it has an actual place in history and has had a scholarly look...well, it just goes to show: some people just have way too much free time!

Thanks all!

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

pipe dream - originally referred to wild dream or hallucination and came from the opium dens of america in the gay '90s (1890s that is)

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

I thought the mainstream 1990s were pretty gay, too-
& not in a good way... Wink

"PIPE DREAM" is also a cool BLUES MAGOOS song...

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

zendao42 wrote:
[...] "PIPE DREAM" is also a cool BLUES MAGOOS song...

And (as I've mentioned before on the Boardello) it's the title of one of Rodgers and Hammerstein's three flops, despite the fact that it's based on Steinbeck.

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skippykelly

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/

I'm not sure how accurate these guys are...

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

Ginjg wrote:
pipe dream - originally referred to wild dream or hallucination and came from the opium dens of america in the gay '90s (1890s that is)

opium dens.....*homer-esk drooling*

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: