Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Canadian Politics 101 (if anyone cares...)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Wingnut

Canadian Politics 101 (if anyone cares...)  Reply with quote  

Some of you Americans may have noticed, in the midst of your own election, that Canada also had a federal election, back in October.

The Conservatives held on to control, as a minority government. Stephen Harper remained the Prime Minister.

The fact that there are at least four parties with seats in the House of Commons means that no-one has a majority, but the party with the most seast - the Conservatives - are the party officially in control.

With a minority government, it is very easy for one of the other parties to call a vote of confidence in the government. This has been done. They vote next monday. If the vote fails, the current minority government remains. If it passes, the government is dissolved and USUALLY means another election.

HOWEVER. The New Democrats and the Liberals, two of the other major parties, have now formed a coalition. What this means is that they now have enough political support in the House of Commons to form a new government in the event of a vote of no confidence.

Today, the leader of the new coalition (Stephane Dion of the Liberals) is going to inform the Governor General (the Queen's representative) that he has enough backing to form a government in the event of a vote of no confidence for the Conservatives.

There is almost certainly going to be a change in government next monday - with no election.

And you thought Canadian politics was boring! Laughing

(oh wait....it is.... Wink )

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Skippykelly

Wait... you're saying Canada isn't controlled by the US? You guys have your own government? When did this happen? How come no one told me? We just let you have your own thoughts and opinions up there? Someone needs to put a stop to this... I say George W Bush for 4 more years, he'll whip you guys back into line...

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Canadian Parliament... Canadian Parliament... Oh yeah, I remember now... Wasn't it back in the seventies that it was run by the guy who writes Doonsbury? Razz

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

The only Parliament I remember seeing was headed by George Clinton... Razz

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JustAGirl

zendao42 wrote:
The only Parliament I remember seeing was headed by George Clinton... Razz

F*ckin' A!

Ow, we want the funk
Give up the funk
Ow, we need the funk
We gotta have that funk!

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
DanaMichelle

I thought Canada was just the place we drove to from Detroit for duty free booze and strippers. Who knew there were people that LIVED there!! Neat!

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wingnut

Wonko wrote:
Canadian Parliament... Canadian Parliament... Oh yeah, I remember now... Wasn't it back in the seventies that it was run by the guy who writes Doonsbury? Razz

Different Trudeau, man, different Trudeau.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
mllefifi

Wingnut wrote:
[...] Different Trudeau, man, different Trudeau.

No, no, that was the detective in the "Pink Panther" movies...

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jillopy

Skippykelly wrote:
Wait... you're saying Canada isn't controlled by the US? You guys have your own government? When did this happen? How come no one told me? We just let you have your own thoughts and opinions up there? Someone needs to put a stop to this... I say George W Bush for 4 more years, he'll whip you guys back into line...

Let Sarah Palin watch them. She's right there. Then again, she may be too busy watching Russia for us.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

DanaMichelle wrote:
I thought Canada was just the place we drove to from Detroit for duty free booze and strippers. Who knew there were people that LIVED there!! Neat!

Well, the NHL still exists. Somebody has got to be watching Hockey.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wingnut

OK, so before the confidence vote could go ahead, the Prime Minister suspended parliament until the new year. So now, we in effect have NO government right now. And yet, the electricity and water are still on, the police are still enforcing the peace, and there have been no riots, etc, etc, etc...basically, life as we know it has completely failed to end.

It makes me wonder...what do we actually NEED a government FOR?? Shocked

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
leprrkan

^ Shhhhhhhh... don't let them hear you say that out loud... if they know you're on to them, they may get pissed Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sugarraydodge

Wingnut wrote:
OK, so before the confidence vote could go ahead, the Prime Minister suspended parliament until the new year. So now, we in effect have NO government right now. And yet, the electricity and water are still on, the police are still enforcing the peace, and there have been no riots, etc, etc, etc...basically, life as we know it has completely failed to end.

It makes me wonder...what do we actually NEED a government FOR?? Shocked

We need government to collect money and control our lives. You see, they are SMARTER than we are.

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LostInWalmart

the only question I have about Canadia is whether Stockwell Day is a person or a holiday.

(or a jet-skiing douche-hat)

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:44 am   View user's profile Send private message
Echo

Quote:
It makes me wonder...what do we actually NEED a government FOR??

Yeah, i was wondering the same thing.
hey.... does the city you live in opt for metal trees for street decor, instead of road repair when the city randomly caves in from sink holes ? Just wondering where the hell my tax money is going.... stupid fucking metal trees.

oh yeah... i remember when that asshat ran for election.... your last guess was correct Stockwell Day = a jet-skiing douche-hat

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: