Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

For New years, to bring luck and fortune

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BeerGnome

For New years, to bring luck and fortune  Reply with quote  

and I'm sure a lot of us need it about now.

another old southern tradition, and I'm sure in many other places is a meal on new years of black eyed peas with stewed tomatoes, Greens, and pork roast.

considering the first two dishes are often met with mystery, I'm going to share my recipes with you good people. You can get by with buying all this stuff canned.. but common! part of the ritual has got to be making it from scratch! otherwise it's cheating!

so lets start with the greens.. they represent good hard cash
I make a mixed greens and for them, we're going to need....

1 pound of collard greens
1 pound of Turnip Greens
1 pound of Mustard greens
1/2 pound of salt cured pork side meat, aka fat back.
1 whole onion, diced.
two cubes Ham bullion.
1/4 cup sugar

three pounds of greens sounds like a lot, but they're going to reduce just fine.

Start out by washing and rinsing the greens, and here's the fun part.. de-stemming them all. The stems are tough, bitter and stringy, so you want to get as many of the heavy stems and veins from the leafs. This is probably going to take you the better part of an hour, and extra hands are helpful. rinse those greens! they tend to be sandy!
once they are rinsed, and stemmed, set them aside.
Dice up your fat back, and onion and fry them up in large stock pot.
once the fat starts to liquefy, and the onions clarify, start taking hand fulls of the greens, dice them further and add to the fat. Keep adding the greens until they are all wilted down.
next, add the crushed bullion cubes, and 6 cups of water.
bring to a boil, add the sugar, and reduce to a simmer..
simmer for a few hours.. until tender and mellow.

Black eyed peas

other wise known as Money peas, they also represent money

1 pound bag of dry black eyed peas, rinsed
1/2 pound of diced fat back
1/4 cup of sugar.

In a large stock pot, fry the fat back until it runs, next add the dry peas, then fill the pot with water until the peas are covered by two to three inches of water. as the peas simmer, they're going to absorb the water, so you are going to need the room for expansion. Bring the whole mess to a boil, and add the sugar.
bring it down to a simmer stirring occasionally until the peas start to mush out. the end product should be more pasty than runny.

the stewed tomatoes don't really represent any thing.. to me anyways... they're just a nice compliment to the peas.
1 can of diced tomatoes, I like the ones with chopped jalapenos..
in a sauce pan or skillet, add the tomatoes, a dash of parsley and oregano, some diced garlic, and diced white bread. simmer it all down to heated through and well combined.

the pork roast represents wealth and prosperity, I'll leave that one up to y'all's imagination.

I'm typing this up right now as everything is simmering down, so pictures of the finished product will be forth coming

enjoy kids!

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Ms. Debris

Good to see a true southern recipe with mythology attached.

We always served rice with the peas and pot liquor (from cooking down the peas and added ham shank), would go over the rice.

I'll try the tomatoes next year. Great addition-

On the third day, or when the Wise Men went home to roost, if you still had it around it became Slum Gullion~

What' ya havin to eat...some dat slum gullion? Yassuh.

Carlos Castaneda

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BeerGnome

Bump

hope everyone's having a happy new year Smile

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: