Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

How the Terrorists Won - Chris's Rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dave

Re: what??  Reply with quote  

gretchenfaith wrote:
The Bush people blocked international web-surfers? THEY BLOCKED THEM?

I wouldn't put it beyond them but I find it a little (just a little) hard to believe that they did it for nefarious/evil/standard-Bush reasons. More likely, they ran out of server capacity and *had to* make cuts somewhere. Got a source for this, FFPF?

As unhappy as I am about the outcome of the election and the way things seem to be going in this country, I think it's important to not jump on every single thing that might be fucktardedness and get pissed about it. Better to figure out the actual fucktardednesses and focus on those - dog knows we've got enough of them.. Just IMO.

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

here's a source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3958665.stm

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lucky Canuck

Sincere Condolences  Reply with quote  

Bummer kids! Crying or Very sad

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:02 pm   
FattyFattyPorkFace

deb wrote:
here's a source:

That was just the quote I was about to get. The official reasons given have ranged from denial of service attacks (which apparently originated from EVERYWHERE but the US, which I find hard to believe) to some crap about not giving too much information to terrorists.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tal

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
deb wrote:
here's a source:

That was just the quote I was about to get. The official reasons given have ranged from denial of service attacks (which apparently originated from EVERYWHERE but the US, which I find hard to believe) to some crap about not giving too much information to terrorists.

Bah. They really do think people are morons. That script denying access to those from a "foreign" IP would in no way stop a denial of service attack. It would be akin to stating cough drops are an effective form of birth control...

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Tal wrote:
It would be akin to stating cough drops are an effective form of birth control...

You mean they're not?

That explains these 12 children.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
selene skye

S*** Happens  Reply with quote  

Fear is a fierce driving force for the human race. Fear of divine retribution, loss of comforts, needs and wants.
We are wired to attain, to be the top beetle at the top of dung mountain, crawling over all the butterflies slimed in our wake.
This is not to say that we are incapable of reaching beyond our own reptilian brain.
Please, remember that Bush did not beat Kerry by that many votes.
Butterflies prevail. And wecan elevate ourselves above the dungheaps of humanity anytime at our own discretion.

Did I just make any sense Question Beware Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte, it messes with your grammar and usage. Confused

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
John

Re: S*** Happens  Reply with quote  

selene skye wrote:
Fear is a fierce driving force for the human race. Fear of divine retribution, loss of comforts, needs and wants.
We are wired to attain, to be the top beetle at the top of dung mountain, crawling over all the butterflies slimed in our wake.
This is not to say that we are incapable of reaching beyond our own reptilian brain.

Wow, I really enjoyed that little piece of prose. Nicely done.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nicknameless

How the terrorists won?  Reply with quote  

Since I’m new here, I figured the best foot to start on might as well be with the most caustic topic around; did the terrorist win.

I say no. I say they lost. Look at New York, New Jersey and DC. The three areas that were hardest hit by the terrorism sent GW a big fat “Oh HELL no. Get your appointed tush out of our White House.” Even look at Pennsylvania. Swing what?

Those of us who have survived terrorism, scrubbed the crematory ashes from our apartments with our own two hands because the government didn’t bother to show up for the whole “cleaning” thing, prayed for months that one day the direction of the wind would change so we could walk the streets of our fair city without the constant stench of death permeating miles in all directions and rolled our eyes when the EPA released statements that the air we were breathing was “Safe” (because the dust from incinerated, asbestos-filled office buildings the size of all of Miami’s office space combined couldn’t possibly hurt you) stood up to be counted. We said enough is enough. Those of us who have witnessed, tasted, lived the truth of terrorism said “NO” to this administration. While the horror of that day can never be compared to anything, being used as W’s sound bite and then discarded in the midst of a double dip recession because Ben Affleck needs his million dollar tax refund was more than a little irritating. Nothing says supporting victims in their time of need like revoking disaster aid and shucking terrorism survivors and their children onto welfare because the fat must get fatter. Those of us who lived it said “Enough.”

No, the terrorists did not win. Fear did not trump courage. Laziness won.

I don’t blame Kerry or the Democratic party or even the Republican party. They did their jobs and played their parts. I blame the laziness of the electorate. I don’t know where this absurd notion that all things should either fall into your lap or disappear came from. Suddenly, critical thinking is akin to marathon running. Laziness is not fear, though most seemed to use fear as the excuse for their laziness. Since when is a public officer saying “I AM” something make it so? (If this is a new rule by the way, let it be known now that “I AM the Imperial Princess of Canada, ruler of all I survey” because I am a notary public.) Since when are we supposed to take politicians at face value? I gave enough research to several first time voters that all of them (within an hour and on their own) said “Kerry, without a doubt.” I had one conversation with a Bush supporter and convinced him to vote for Nader in less than 20 minutes. Where has the effort to find out the most basic of facts gone? How is it possible that people STILL claim there is no difference between Kerry and Bush? Why is this active ignorance tolerated, much less cultivated and celebrated? Are we truly such a fat, lazy, satiated society that we can’t be bothered to see nuance? Do we really believe that we are hated around the world because of our Declaration of Independence and not our foreign policy? Why would terrorist target symbols of the military and finance if their issue lay with our right to party?

No, terrorism did not win. Courage won. However, laziness has plummeted us into a rather Orwellian nightmare.

So anyway, that’s my two cents and now I'll get off this soapbox.

-Imperial Princess Christina

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
deb_

Christina,

Beautifully stated, powerful in it's delivery. If I were able to, I'd grant you sovereignty. But alas, I'm a lowly Montana mom, lacking in super sovereign rights. Can I just say howdy and leave it at that?

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:14 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Christina
Nice rant. Welcome. Smile

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Nicknameless

deb_ wrote:
Christina,

Beautifully stated, powerful in it's delivery. If I were able to, I'd grant you sovereignty. But alas, I'm a lowly Montana mom, lacking in super sovereign rights. Can I just say howdy and leave it at that?

Yeah, howdy! Thanks for the warm welcome. Very Happy

-Christina

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:52 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tal

I too cannot offer you sovreignty but I can give you your own:

Feel free to use it to rant from whenever you wish. Smile

Code:
[img]http://www.thepumpkinking.com/images/soapbox.gif[/img]

Is what you'll want to paste into a post whenever you wish to use it. Smile

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Eloquent rant, Imperial Princess Christina. Welcome to the Compound.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sean

I saw this on Dave Barry's Blog and thought it might be helpful to bring it over here

Go ahead and get it all out.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: