Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

The beginning

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
E. Q. Taft

The beginning  Reply with quote  

Having just reread ADJ, I was looking over the beginning to check something and two things jumped out.

One was that Sophie is described as seeming "fascinated" by Minty Fresh. Of course, since Sophie is the Luminatus, and MF is a Death Merchant, that might not be surprising -- but could it actually be tied in with his being Anubis, according to Coyote Blue? I tend to think the latter.

The other was a sudden, rather shocking question. Thinking about Rachel's death, I suddenly wondered: did Sophie kill her? Not on purpose, presumably -- she never killed Charlie, despite much more exposure -- but could Rachel's death by a sudden, unpredictable rare condition actually have been the first manifestation of Sophie's power? (One presumes Sophie didn't really kill her assorted pets on purpose either, or at least not out of malice.)

I have to admit that one of the things I kept straining to wonder about is why no one figured out that Sophie was the Luminatus, rather than Charlie. It should have been pretty obvious from the hellhounds, let alone the whole "Kitty!" bit. Maybe Charlie is too wrapped up in his own beta male imagination, but you'd think Minty Fresh or one of the others would have guessed it.
To get a little feel
of my own faulty bagnose.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vampirelover

It's been awhile so... I'll actually only answer the last question.

I always thought it was weird that we as the reader guess what is going but no one else seemed to catch on. I don't know...but considering that is one of my fav.s I've got to reread it soon.

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

OK, if saying the word kitty is the trigger, then she couldn't possibly have killed her mother as a newborn-
but the AG will have to be the one to confirm this...

As for the other thing, I guess the only reason nobody in the book
figured out what she was is cuz they never saw the cover... Wink

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

vp, eq, have you ever spent any time in sf? its a wild city, very live and let live. god i miss it.... Sad

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
E. Q. Taft

girlEgirl wrote:
vp, eq, have you ever spent any time in sf? its a wild city, very live and let live. god i miss it.... Sad

Not enough. But some, and yeah, it's a great place.
To get a little feel
of my own faulty bagnose.

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Stewies Mom

Re: The beginning  Reply with quote  

E. Q. Taft wrote:
Having just reread ADJ, I was looking over the beginning to check something and two things jumped out.

One was that Sophie is described as seeming "fascinated" by Minty Fresh. Of course, since Sophie is the Luminatus, and MF is a Death Merchant, that might not be surprising -- but could it actually be tied in with his being Anubis, according to Coyote Blue? I tend to think the latter.

The other was a sudden, rather shocking question. Thinking about Rachel's death, I suddenly wondered: did Sophie kill her? Not on purpose, presumably -- she never killed Charlie, despite much more exposure -- but could Rachel's death by a sudden, unpredictable rare condition actually have been the first manifestation of Sophie's power? (One presumes Sophie didn't really kill her assorted pets on purpose either, or at least not out of malice.)

I have to admit that one of the things I kept straining to wonder about is why no one figured out that Sophie was the Luminatus, rather than Charlie. It should have been pretty obvious from the hellhounds, let alone the whole "Kitty!" bit. Maybe Charlie is too wrapped up in his own beta male imagination, but you'd think Minty Fresh or one of the others would have guessed it.

I want to take a stab at only the last question because I honestly can't come up with anything for the first question. Minty Fresh did know, I think, that Sophie was the Luminatus, or at least he guessed that she was. I can't reference page numbers, but near the beginning of the story, when Jane is downstairs in the shop and she sees that man peering into the window, he first says "She's the", and then changes his mind and tells Jane to expect something in the mail instead. I am certain that he wanted to say "She's the Luminatus", but chickened out and decided to allow Charlie to read the book (which is then temporarily hijacked by Lily)and figure it out for himself.

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
minty445325

zendao42 wrote:
OK, if saying the word kitty is the trigger, then she couldn't possibly have killed her mother as a newborn-
but the AG will have to be the one to confirm this...

Well when she was in infant, she did have a lot of animals die from just being her pet. (Goldfish, Lizards, Turtle, 'Bear') so maybe she could kill them a different way.

I BELIVE BOTH GOOD SIR

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: