Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Win-Win
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
KEB

OK so it doesn't really cheer me up but I really like listening to Mad World by Tears for Fears right now:

Quote:
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tommorow, no tommorow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
gretchenfaith

the cd question  Reply with quote  

I've been thinking about this - what music should go on a CD for this sucky week...I've been listening to a lot of REM's "You Are the Everything" (i'm very scared for this world, i'm very scared for me), and the Smiths' "How Soon is Now" (no particular lyric, just seems to fit my sucky mood.)

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

I sent Chris's post to my family and friends and my brother wrote back with this wonderful response, I just had to post it here. He's a pretty smart fella.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t feel like much consolation, since it is a VERY big ship, and my loved ones and I are stuck on the dock, watching helplessly as this behemoth heads our way.

It may be thrilling to be shot at and missed, but it’s not fun to be shot at and hit.

Bush and his crones are not the problem, they are the symptom. The problem is the American (pronounced Ah-mur-i-cun) people. No one seems to care about what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they drafted the Constitution. In the 215 years since it’s writing, there has been only ONE amendment that stops an individual from their pursuit of happiness… the 18th (Prohibition), which proved such a failure by it’s nature, that it is also the ONLY amendment to be rescinded (21st Amendment). Our freedoms are our strength. Our core values are not religious ones, but rather those that espouse the individual’s place as the center of our society.

The Gay Marriage issue is neither here nor there on face value, rather an indicator of what we have become as a society. Our populace has determined somehow that someone else’s happiness prohibits theirs. We need to “protect” marriage by assuring that it be only between a man and a woman, yet fail to recognize the ever increasing rate of divorce (http://www.divorcereform.org/rates.html) , which shows that if marriage does have any sanctity to it, we simply don’t care because it’s too inconvenient for us.

We embrace a death penalty and preemptive actions killing thousands from our fear of what those persons “might” do if allowed among us, yet we refuse the right of researchers to use embryonic stem cells because it violates our religious beliefs re human life. Perhaps we should “spin” the abortion issue, and position it as preemptive measures against violent criminals and terrorists, since it is so unlikely that the child would undoubtedly lack a “traditional” family environment to grow up in.

We have become a nation of people who do not see a past nor a future, just the present. A nation of fear. Fear of terrorists. Fear of diversity, Fear of God. The evangelists believe the end is coming… soon (James Watt once stated that he wasn’t concerned about how his policies affected the long term environment because “… we won’t be here that long.”

We are no longer Americans. We have become “the Christian Right”, “Soccer Moms”, “NASCAR Dads”, and every other subset of a subset of a fringe group you can think of. We don’t care about us as a nation. We don’t care about our neighbors. We don’t care about our environment. We don’t care about freedom. We only care about one small issue in each of our lives that somebody else tells us to believe in.

I am saddened not by the outcome of the election, but rather the cause of it.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:49 pm   
Cathy

Location: Austin_an island of blue surrounded by a sea of red.

oops, that last post was from me, AustinFan. I'm such a newbie, I forgot to log in.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

KEB wrote:
OK so it doesn't really cheer me up but I really like listening to Mad World by Tears for Fears right now:

Quote:
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tommorow, no tommorow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me

KEB, you should check out the Gary Jules cover of Mad World from the Donny Darko soundtrack. It takes the song to a whole new level.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
I sent Chris's post to my family and friends and my brother wrote back with this wonderful response, I just had to post it here. He's a pretty smart fella.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t feel like much consolation, since it is a VERY big ship, and my loved ones and I are stuck on the dock, watching helplessly as this behemoth heads our way.

It may be thrilling to be shot at and missed, but it’s not fun to be shot at and hit.

Bush and his crones are not the problem, they are the symptom. The problem is the American (pronounced Ah-mur-i-cun) people. No one seems to care about what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they drafted the Constitution. In the 215 years since it’s writing, there has been only ONE amendment that stops an individual from their pursuit of happiness… the 18th (Prohibition), which proved such a failure by it’s nature, that it is also the ONLY amendment to be rescinded (21st Amendment). Our freedoms are our strength. Our core values are not religious ones, but rather those that espouse the individual’s place as the center of our society.

The Gay Marriage issue is neither here nor there on face value, rather an indicator of what we have become as a society. Our populace has determined somehow that someone else’s happiness prohibits theirs. We need to “protect” marriage by assuring that it be only between a man and a woman, yet fail to recognize the ever increasing rate of divorce (http://www.divorcereform.org/rates.html) , which shows that if marriage does have any sanctity to it, we simply don’t care because it’s too inconvenient for us.

We embrace a death penalty and preemptive actions killing thousands from our fear of what those persons “might” do if allowed among us, yet we refuse the right of researchers to use embryonic stem cells because it violates our religious beliefs re human life. Perhaps we should “spin” the abortion issue, and position it as preemptive measures against violent criminals and terrorists, since it is so unlikely that the child would undoubtedly lack a “traditional” family environment to grow up in.

We have become a nation of people who do not see a past nor a future, just the present. A nation of fear. Fear of terrorists. Fear of diversity, Fear of God. The evangelists believe the end is coming… soon (James Watt once stated that he wasn’t concerned about how his policies affected the long term environment because “… we won’t be here that long.”

We are no longer Americans. We have become “the Christian Right”, “Soccer Moms”, “NASCAR Dads”, and every other subset of a subset of a fringe group you can think of. We don’t care about us as a nation. We don’t care about our neighbors. We don’t care about our environment. We don’t care about freedom. We only care about one small issue in each of our lives that somebody else tells us to believe in.

I am saddened not by the outcome of the election, but rather the cause of it.

Well said. Depressing, but well said.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Blarg

chris wrote:

KEB, you should check out the Gary Jules cover of Mad World from the Donny Darko soundtrack. It takes the song to a whole new level.

Yeah, that is an excellent song. On a side note, am I one of the few left that believe in capital punishment?

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hillary

I believe in it, Blarg. Both the song AND the zappy chair.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dave

Blarg wrote:
am I one of the few left that believe in capital punishment?

Not even close.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

I believe in capital punishment, when applied judiciously.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
anti-social worker

Until I believe that we have a court system that can apply anything judiciously, I will stick with an anti-death penalty stance.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

I see the theoretical pluses to having a death penalty, but I really don't think it's a deterrant to crime, it serves more as an outlet for revenge. So why bother?

This morning I passed by a "Save Marriage: vote for issue 1" sign on someone's lawn. I didn't realize the presidential ballot could be skewed due to pork barreling, so to speak. Now I've seen it all. Oh never mind, I forgot I haven't seen a man eat his own head.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Death penalty? Doesn't work! Do you want to know why? Because it's so much more judicious to let someone live with themselves, in prison i.e. isolation, or amongst the general population of inmates and never be able to get out. Now on the other hand, certain species of animals will isolate or kill those of their own species that are harmful to the rest of the pack. I still have a cosmic question as to why homo sapiens are nothing more than upright, opposable thumb, critically thinking??? animals. Are humans the only species that need religion and technology. So should we, as animals, if we are, kill our own species or should we let them live? Who decides and would anyone want to be the one carries out the death penalty? I really don't know but It is an interesting thought that I wonder about.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:21 am   
gretchenfaith

Quote:

What kills me about the gay marriage issue is the idea that we need to "save marriage". I am a divorce lawyer. I have never handled a case in which the cause of the divorce was monogamous relationships between gays and lesbians. NEVER. NOT ONCE. What causes my client's marriages to fall apart - infidelity, alcoholism, work-a-holism, depression, unrealistic expectations, stressors from raising children, but, the relationship between Matt & Mike next door - nope - not a problem.

I also find it ironic that one of the biggest critiques the right-wingers about gays and lesbians is promiscuity - so, explain to me how encouraging monogamy among gays and lesbians is problem???

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

the cd question  Reply with quote  

Now sold in stores, The GWB Soundtrack Collection to the first four years in office, it will be bought and sold to by the American public.

Disk one
1. One of Three – James (A tribute to Ralph Nadar)
2. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall Bob Dylan
3. Times Like These – Jack Johnson
4. War/With My Own Two Hands – Ben Harper
5. Idiot’s Rule – Jane’s Addiction
6. Armageddon Days Are Here (again) – The The
7. I Started Something I couldn’t Finish – The Smiths
8. Bodies – The Sex Pistols
9. Tramp The Dirt Down – Elvis Costello
10. Jesus Gonna Be Here – Tom Waits
11. God is a Real Estate Developer – Michelle Shocked
12. Mother of Violence – Peter Gabriel
13. Night of the Living Rednecks – Dead Kennedy’s
14. Imagine – John Lennon
15. Peace Love and Understanding (what’s so funny about) Elvis Costello
16. Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright - Bob Dylan (A dedication to the red states)
Hidden song – Opps I did it again – Brittany Spears

Thanks to gretchenfaith for the idea.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:37 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: