Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> FOOL

Shakespeare beforehand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Did you read Willy or go straight for Moore?
Yes, I read all of Shakespeare's works as soon as the AG told us he was writing something about it.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
No, who's got time for Shakespeare when there's a new Chris Moore book?!?
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jillopy

Shakespeare beforehand?  Reply with quote  

I was just wondering how many of you read or re-read Shakespeare before reading Fool.

I didn't and really don't remember much of the Shakespeare that I did read in high school. Am I missing out on a lot of references?

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
18Rabbit

To be honest, I don't think I've ever read Lear.

EDIT: To answer your second question about missing anything, I don't think I can really say for certain but I'm guessing that other than going "Oh! That's from Romeo and Juliette!" that you're not missing much.

Last edited by 18Rabbit on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

You should add a third choice: "Did you read Lear before reading Fool?"

That's what I did, 'cause I couldn't remember much of the story from the PBS broadcast I saw several years ago.

We read other Shakespeare plays in high school and undergrad school.

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt_steve

What about between? I read 'Fool' from the travelling ARC, then 'Lear', then read 'Fool' again. I think 'Fool' was better the second time around because I was able to appreciate how smoothly 'Fool' moved back and forth between being background and foreground of the play.

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jillopy

Feef -- it won't let me edit the poll. Just take option 1 as reading any Shakespeare instead of all his works. Okay? Ok.

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vixen Jules

Yet another option for the unmodifiable poll:

No. I don't need to re-read Shakespeare because apparently my degree in the Medieval and Renaissance period does more than allow me to say "Would you like fries with that?" in Old English.

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

I didn't reread King Lear. I have been exposed to it rather recently, so did not feel the need to do so.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

I read it before so I'd be good to go for the project-
you know, at least have an idea of potential songs for the CD-
but unless you're in some way being quizzed on it, there's no need...

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

ive never been able to get through it, in fact the first few pages of "fool" kinda scared me, but then it just flowed like blood into a syringe. i think its his best book so far. not only do i hate shakespeare but think the presences of sex in the plotline in any story is a waste of paper. but even though this is a shakespeare styled bonkfest, it was just so awesome that i cant stop telling everyone how good it is.

pocket is chris right?

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Dude, you must have huge pockets if you can fit the AG in there! Shocked

Psst! Sex is a lot more fun to do than read about
but the right author can turn a statistical manual into a laugh riot... Wink

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Xenogeist

I never even glanced at Lear before reading Fool unless I unpacked one from a box at the bookstore at some point.

I did, however, look it up on Wikipedia afterwards. I think I'll stick with Fool.

"My kingdom for a razor-blade cowcatcher and Cuisinart wheel covers to cut my path through this herd of ignorant peasant meat."

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Hmmmm, maybe this'll be of interest to somebody:

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/juicy_development_introduces_bard_that_10_for_iphone_and_ipod_touch/

I don't remember seeing it anywhere else in here-
sorry if it's already been posted...

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tirusthevirus

I read Lear only about a year before I read Fool, so it was still fresh. I took a course on Shakespeare in university, and Lear of course was one of the plays we studied. We didn't do a single sonnet, which I thought was bullshit. How can you do Bill without doing sonnets?

- Bryce

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

It's okay to read the play afterhand, too.

Just sayin'.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sean

I finished Lear and started Fool on the same day. I also have Ian McKellen's Lear on DVR that I started watching yesterday. I was glad I read it beforehand. I think it gave me a deeper appreciation for what the AG accomplished with Fool. Brilliant.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: