Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> FOOL

Image of Beauty

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
HazelRah

Image of Beauty  Reply with quote  

I have been listening to the audio book version of Fool . I had completely forgotten how the following moment moved me the first time I read the book , so many months ago. And how it makes me love this book even more.
The chosen reader is doing a very good job,by the way.

There is a particular and simple moment that struck me with an image that I found rather enticing in its beauty. So much so that I was almost inclined to sketch a picture of what I saw in my mind. I might have sally forthed with that if I werent driving at the time.
The moment I speak of is when Pocket first gets a good look at the Anchoress. When he passes his candles thru the arrow holes so she has more light in her cell.

As I saw it, Pocket was now sitting in a dark antechamber while the only light burst forth thru the slits in the wall. The light of the cross image spilling over Pocket as he lays eyes on his Holy Lady for the first time. (and this is before the snogging commences between the two.)
You can let the metaphors flow with that one.The almost religious experience it might have felt to someone in Pocket's position in life to first look upon this woman of beauty,mystery and supposed religious piety.Can you hear the choir sing? Regardless of the intent, the image really struck and stuck with me. And reminded me how much I had wished there was more of the conversations between the Anchoress and Pocket.

I wished there had been more moments of the two telling each other stories. The Anchoress maybe slipping hints of her past into her tales, and Pockets desire to be rewarded with her laugh ,just once more , with his attempts at humour.Or even Just the two talking about day to day life. I know that probably wouldnt have made for a great book. And would certainly have slowed down the progress of "present" events.. But I have to say, I really enjoyed the interaction between the two and was left wanting more.

Last edited by HazelRah on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Yes, you're supposed to want more. You got it Smile That's why what happens a bit later, and then drives Pocket's actions throughout the book, has more impact. But I get what you mean... Thanks

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

Very Happy Just got my audio copy, too-
looking forward to finally listening to my late V'day present-
I'll be waiting for that particular scene...

They also had 1 copy of the book itself cleverly hidden on the corner of the front table-
by the time I left, it was gone...

Either there's a lot of ninjas buying FOOL or the bookstore folks are trying to irritate us... Confused

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: