Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> FOOL

Question for AG - Your Evolution
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kate R

Question for AG - Your Evolution  Reply with quote  

Hi AG,

I am reading Fool now (I wasn't able to get it earlier, I know, I shouldn't show my face around here... Wink ). I am a huge fan or your work in general, and have noticed that your writing style has kind of changed over the years.

In books like Lamb, Fluke, and Coyote Blue, you took on almost a teaching tone when you set up all the background knowledge and did all of your narrative magic. I was kind of thinking you'd do the same with this one because it is historical fiction, and you really shine when you set the scene.

Now it's more dialouge-driven, I think. It seems that way since Abby Normal in You Suck. Although, you have always been awesome at dialouge. Why did you do that?

Were you getting sick of the third-person split-perspective stuff? The first person is nice to see again, because you only did it before in Lamb, and a smidge with Abby Normal.

Have you guys noticed?

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Fool sets up the way it does because it was based on a play and work by a playwright. You get in the scene, and out. I sort of pick a means of telling a story that best serves the story. You'll see when you get to the note at the end, that this isn't really a historical novel, so the historical setting can't be accurate, or depict culture accurately. I don't feel there's a lot to teach you about medieval times, nor would it have benefited Pocket's character development. It's more "generic Robin Hood". Ready? Castles, moors, swords, rain, ACTION!

In Lamb, Coyote, and Love Nun, I'm sort of trying to bring you into a world, where Fool is all about the drama (and comedy) between the characters. In Lamb it was important for me to show you the world accurately, because I thought that would give the story more impact. And Biff, because he knew he was explaining his world to an audience that had never seen it, takes the time to tell you what a mikvah is, and what the Feast of Tabernacles is, and how it's celebrated. Pocket is more self-serving. He doesn't know who you are, he's just playing the story out for you, and commenting on the bits that pertain to him, and that only he might know, like, say, the passion a certain princess might have for punishment.

Abby's voice in You Suck is just another way to deliver humor. Like Pocket, it's the way that she says things that are funny, not just what she says. I was writing an Abby Normal scene today, and commented to a friend at dinner that she was as hard to write as Pocket, because everything she says has to be crafted. She can't just say, "It was dark." And neither can Pocket. They are both a lot of work.

I do think I have a little better command of my skills than I did on earlier books, and I hope I continue to learn by trying new stuff, so perhaps there is an evolution going on in that sense, but I don't think you'll see all the books from here on out being dialogue driven. it's simply that You Suck was a short book, in a setting that I've described many times in previous books, and Bite Me will be similar, so, like Fool, the scenes will come fairly rapidly, and may not have a lot of description outside of the action. (Although I do talk about some San Francisco neighborhoods in Bite Me that I haven't written much before in the other San Francisco books.)

So yes, your observation is absolutely valid. There is a similarity of style in Fool and You Suck, due to the very distinct dialect and points of view of the narrators, but I wouldn't settle in for that to be "my thing."

I need to keep you bitches guessing. Very Happy

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

I'm re-reading it & noticing lots of new things this time around-
mostly cuz I know the ending but I won't go all spoilery here...

Did wanna say that telling the story in 1st person makes it much better-
when I read WS's version, I wanted to smack all the characters
but in yours, Lear's the only one I wanna bitch-slap-
sorry, he's just that kind of character... Wink

I also wanted to mention before I forget that it kinda reminds me of FANNY by Erica Jong-
that's also a pretty good bawdy read for those who haven't had the pleasure...

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Jesus Christ, now I have to re-read all the books. Damn you AG for actually being interactive and stuff!

My favorite moment from Fool so far isn't from the book. It's from your description at the DC book event of Charlee reading the draft and saying "What are you, 12?"

Thanks again for the books.

B

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
JustAGirl

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

wisenheimer

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kate R

Thanks for the reply. You're so good at the writing stuff. So you're next one is Bite Me, huh? Make your publisher let you come to Detroit. Smile

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Kate R wrote:
Thanks for the reply. You're so good at the writing stuff. So you're next one is Bite Me, huh? Make your publisher let you come to Detroit. Smile

Got to.

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
McFuhrball

Okay, I am totally new to Mr. Moore. I just received my Kindle 2 and was ordering some books. A little history (Andrew Jackson bio), a little tomfoolery (Tim Dorsey's new book which I liked), and I was checking out this other book, Fool. Instead of getting more information, I ordered it by accident. I almost cancelled my order, but decided to keep it when I saw it was a NYT bestseller and perhaps involved a little tomfoolery itself. Perhaps a little tomfoolery? I just wish I could put in proper Pocketonian terms how much I love this book. So, today I decide I have to figure out who this Christopher Moore guy is. He must be some crazy Brit with an otherworldly wit. But no, he is this crazy American who can turn a phrase and make me laugh even more than the aforementioned Mr. Dorsey or another favorite, Carl Hiassen. Yesiree, this dude can write! Well, enough arse kissing. I have to leave work now so I can go home and finish this book. After that, I will figure out which book of Chris' I should order next.

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kate R

LAMB, then Coyote Blue, then Fluke, Bloodsucking Fiends, and the rest in whatever order you want. You might want to hold off on The Stupidest Angel and A Dirty Job until you have read the other stuff.

Before long, you'll be a Mooreon too. Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vampirelover

I kinda disagree...but that is because I like some more than others...
Though it may be better to read them in the order they were written in, when "hubby" said he may read them he asked what to read first and I told him it may be first to read them 1-last. idk

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
McFuhrball

Thanks Kate and VL. I finished Fool last night and I am still pondering my next Moore book. I may go to most recent and work backwards.....so you can tell I am not very good at taking advice. And, I think Fool has already caused me to attain Mooreon status. My lovely wife accuses me of moronic behavior all the time, so it wasn't much of a bump.

PS I have never blogged before, if that is what one calls this. So, you can be assured I loved the book. I would have added a photo or something to my ID, but don't really know how. I could possibly use a kind of scary photo of me in a Jimmy hat we picked up in Edinburgh last summer (which our Scots friend told us we would be total wankers for buying) but here in Idaho people think is funny, at least at our local watering hole. Maybe its the drinks. And, why can't I get the Pogues out of my head?

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:08 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

McFuhrball wrote:
.... I may go to most recent and work backwards.....so you can tell I am not very good at taking advice.

Probably not the best idea considering You Suck is a sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends. Also, you will miss out on many character cross-over references. But, hey, do what you want.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Wecome. Here's the order the books were written in, since they're not all listed
on all the books anymore.

Practical Demonkeeping
Coyote Blue
Bloodsucking Fiends
The Island of the Sequined Love Nun
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
Lamb
Fluke
The Stupidest Angel
A Dirty Job
You Suck: A Love Story
Fool
and coming next year:
Bite Me: A Love Story

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vixen Jules

chris wrote:
Wecome. Here's the order the books were written in, since they're not all listed
on all the books anymore.

How cool is it that they won't all fit anymore?!? You have to be proud when your list is that long.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
McFuhrball

Thank you all for the tips. And Chris for the list.
Now, since I am trying to take some advice, I am thinking or reading the two vampire books in sequence.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:52 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: