Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Another Modest Proposal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lib

Another Modest Proposal  Reply with quote  

Quote:
Posted by Chris: I’ve thought about it. I’ve thought about it a lot. And what I’ve come up with, after much pondering, and with consideration of the teachers in Oregon who were arrested for wearing “protect our civil rights" shirts, and the kid in Missouri who was arrested for posting a “If George Bush is King, Off With His Head” bumper sticker on his car, and with no little concern over that F.B.I. computer program called Carnivore (Atkins Diet-based program), which scans the internet for threatening language…

I’d like to make a modest proposal...

AN IMMEDIATE CHEERFUL OVERTHROW OF THE US GOVERNMENT

Let's go, people. Let's see a great big smile, you're on camera. The revolution will definitely be televised.

Gosh and I don't have a thing to wear.
What goes with shackles?

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
selene skye

O say can you work this outfit, baby?  Reply with quote  

Sterling silver goes quite nicely with a pair of metal links. Skip hoop earings however since it'll be considered going overboard, what with the hoops encircling your wrists and all already. The chains can work themselves, as a kind of retro-punk thing. Leave your stilletos at home, they're a bitch to work with your ankles tethered tightly together. A bustiier in crimson lace with just a hint of black silk fringe may actually work, but only to get you out of the cuffs and the arresting persons into them. (We all know about those men in power positions who can never deny the allure of a Garfield chewy toy and a solid whack of a newspaper on the bottom Twisted Evil.)
But , for real serious like, did anyone ever wonder what would happen if the good citizens of the USA were soooo disgusted with both candidates that everybody simply and petulantly refused to vote?
Idea

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
KEB

I always wanted a non-of-the-above option for voting. If it got the most votes - the candidates would be thrown out and new ones had to be run in a follow-up election.

Sure in a highly divided electorate the office might never be filled, but then is that such a bad thing.

==========================

Can we still wear the aluminum foil hats with our shackles?

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:26 am   View user's profile Send private message
Tal

Re: O say can you work this outfit, baby?  Reply with quote  

selene skye wrote:
Sterling silver goes quite nicely with a pair of metal links. Skip hoop earings however since it'll be considered going overboard, what with the hoops encircling your wrists and all already. The chains can work themselves, as a kind of retro-punk thing. Leave your stilletos at home, they're a bitch to work with your ankles tethered tightly together. A bustiier in crimson lace with just a hint of black silk fringe may actually work, but only to get you out of the cuffs and the arresting persons into them. (We all know about those men in power positions who can never deny the allure of a Garfield chewy toy and a solid whack of a newspaper on the bottom. Twisted Evil) Idea

Shocked Thats an impressive array of knowledge Selene. Very Happy

Edit: Great blog entry Chris - it made my snark my coffee. Too bad that Selene distracted me so easily. Wink

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

KEB wrote:
I always wanted a non-of-the-above option for voting. If it got the most votes - the candidates would be thrown out and new ones had to be run in a follow-up election.

KEB, Libertarians do exactly that in all their elections. NOTA is always a candidate, and always gets votes.

Jen

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

Shock and Awe Huh. I thought this was supposed to be a modest proposaljavascript:emoticon('Wink')

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chelle

Sitting here thinking that not only do I qualify as a redneck (by location only thank you) I believe I carry enough govt credentials in my pocket to qualify for pointing at Chris's genitals. Do you mind if I do that? I mean...I won't laugh. I will be in awe...I swear.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Nicknameless

Re: Another Modest Proposal  Reply with quote  

Lib wrote:

Gosh and I don't have a thing to wear.
What goes with shackles?

Oh hon, don't worry about that. Didn't you get the memo that they'll bring hoods and body pile ups for us? Anything more and you'll be overdressed.

-Christina

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Think insane.

Quote:
s we invoked the names of Jefferson, Madison, and Hillary in order to cast out the evil, flight-suited cheerleader.

I hope that was our Hillary you were invoking, and not that useless skank taking up one of my perfectly good Senate seats.

And before the flames start, I liked Bill, I have no use for Hillary. It actually baffles me that anyone would want her for president, when she has done exactly nothing as senator.

Just an aside, on 2 Nov Chuck Schumer carried my staunchly Republican county (if you look at one of those red blue maps, I'm in that little spot of red in the middle of New York) with 78%. It's the highest percentage a Democrat has ever gotten here for a senate seat. That's because he has actually done all those things that Hillary said she would do if elected, and has since seemed to forget about.

Our Hillary=TEH GOOD

Other Hillary= TEH SUCK

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Think insane. wrote:
Quote:
s we invoked the names of Jefferson, Madison, and Hillary in order to cast out the evil, flight-suited cheerleader.

I hope that was our Hillary you were invoking, and not that useless skank taking up one of my perfectly good Senate seats.

And before the flames start, I liked Bill, I have no use for Hillary. It actually baffles me that anyone would want her for president, when she has done exactly nothing as senator.

Just an aside, on 2 Nov Chuck Schumer carried my staunchly Republican county (if you look at one of those red blue maps, I'm in that little spot of red in the middle of New York) with 78%. It's the highest percentage a Democrat has ever gotten here for a senate seat. That's because he has actually done all those things that Hillary said she would do if elected, and has since seemed to forget about.

Our Hillary=TEH GOOD

Other Hillary= TEH SUCK

It's satire, TI. That's why you put Jefferson, Madison, and Hillary in the same progression. Cause of the irony of it.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Think insane.

I know it was Chief, I'm not completely retarded. Mr. Green

My post started out in jest, but it's a topic that gets me all fired up. I have no use for the woman.

Things have been a little.... tense for me lately, so my humor just ain't working right. Things that I start out meaning to be humorous lately have just turned angry. Maybe it's time for a vacation.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Right there with ya, bud. I'd say we all just need to use more smilies. Laughing

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

We could always beat the happy into you and wait until candy comes out your eyeballs, Think.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John

Ooh! I know. How about we tie Think down and make him do Xanax colada shooters until he passes out. He'll be happy then, dadgummit!

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

All right, let's see if these goldurn quote functions work like in other forums (fora?).

Quote:
It actually baffles me that anyone would want her for president, when she has done exactly nothing as senator.

While Hillary has actually made accomplishments as a Senator (albeit not ones that hit mainstream media with the constant coverage over the last year on the candidates), Hillary is more well-known for what she did during the Clinton Administration and for general public image, which is a plus in politics, sadly enough. While her policies are undoubtedly left-of-center, which might hurt her in the event that she does run (you can thank the RNC for that, look what they did to Kerry, they made him the "Most liberal Senator"), the overall success of policies she has voted for are greater than deplorable.

Or, a translation for your everyday average reader: Had Hillary run in '04, Bush would have lost, easily. Hillary is a stronger Kerry.

Lonely Tylenol, policy wonk, at your service. Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:31 am   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: