Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Pen Name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Pen Name?  Reply with quote  

Hey guys. I have two planned projects for self-publication this year. The first is a combined collection of my first three novels (they are really novellas, but still,) which I am calling "A Far, Far Better Thing." The second is an original, full-length novel which I have yet to even conceive.

Here's the problem I am faced with. I have been writing under the pen name "Sugar Ray Dodge" instead of my real name which is David Chadwick. I am seriously considering dropping the pen name and just publishing all my future work under Dave Chadwick (apparently "David Chadwick" is the name of a well-known Buddhist philosopher.) My question to you, my fellow fruitbats, is this a good idea? I know that Sugar Ray Dodge is catchy and hip, but I also would like to be taken seriously someday and I'm not sure if it is the most marketable pen name.

What do you guys think?

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

You could just put an initial with your name
& get a little cross-promotion from folks looking for the other guy-
it probably works for those other Chris Moores, just saying... Wink

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Yeah, invoke your middle name somehow.

That's what the actor Philip Seymour Hoffman had to do, because there was already a Philip Hoffman in the Screen Actor's Guild or some other such thing.

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

I dig your Sugar Ray Dodge handle. But if you go w/your real name, I'm with Zen and Feef about tossing in your middle name.

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wonko

I suppose it depends on whether you'd rather use the same name as a Buddhist philosopher or that of two boxers and a talk-show host combined with an auto manufacturer.

I wonder if Boota was ever concerned about using the same name as an author who used to be an astronaut.

I'd say use your own name, after all, there are also other authors out there published under the AG's name

Just remember what happened to Theodor Geisel...

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kshathra

I say go with Huggins Biltmore.

or Wenrod Foe.

or maybe S. Van Mandelain.

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mxlemore

You could use the name, Art Vandalay. Seinfeld fans would dig that! Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

mxlemore wrote:

yeah but sienfeld sucks. as is my habit, i agree with sep. and i cant wait till your books become popular enough to arrive in my library catalogue system.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sugarraydodge

girlEgirl wrote:
mxlemore wrote:

yeah but sienfeld sucks. as is my habit, i agree with sep. and i cant wait till your books become popular enough to arrive in my library catalogue system.

Yes, Seinfeld is stupid. My dad still watches the reruns and I liked it in High School, but I tried to watch an episode recently and asked myself "Why did I ever think this was funny? This is stupid."

And thanks, I think I may hang onto my SRD handle for a while longer. Smile

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

I wish they'd give Seinfeld reruns a rest. Bring back Roseanne!

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wingnut

How about "Norm DePlewm"?

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

If you're successful, you'll have to live with whatever pen name you choose. You build a career, so if you decide to change your pen name later on, you'll lose much of your momentum and the energy you spent in trying to get your name recognized.

I think "Sugar Ray" aside from not being original, sounds fake, which is just fine for a chat room, but not something you want to base a lifetime of work on.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

chris wrote:
If you're successful, you'll have to live with whatever pen name you choose. You build a career, so if you decide to change your pen name later on, you'll lose much of your momentum and the energy you spent in trying to get your name recognized.

I think "Sugar Ray" aside from not being original, sounds fake, which is just fine for a chat room, but not something you want to base a lifetime of work on.

yeah but watayou know about being a writer?? Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sugarraydodge

Thanks for your honesty, Chris. I appreciate it.

As for a replacement for the old SRD handle, I have been considering just reverting back to what was on my report cards in Jr. High and High School, and that is J. David Chadwick. Not very many people go by their middle names, and J. is a cool first initial.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
girlEgirl

sugarraydodge wrote:
Thanks for your honesty, Chris. I appreciate it.

As for a replacement for the old SRD handle, I have been considering just reverting back to what was on my report cards in Jr. High and High School, and that is J. David Chadwick. Not very many people go by their middle names, and J. is a cool first initial.

least you have a middle name.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: