Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

The wrists you save ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kurt

The wrists you save ...  Reply with quote  

One of my co-workers was deeply bummed out over the results of Nov. 2nd ... a lot of people were.

So after printing out the two, now three, blog entries that came after the "So ... So That Sucked" entry ... she all but tackled me this morning on my way in for sharing those posts with her ... she was on her way to the copier to make more copies to snail-mail to friends. The latest one, on the Kubler-Ross examination is waiting for her.

Her words ... "they made me not want to cut my wrists" ... "and I'm sending them to many of my family and friends" ... "and he's a very good writer"
(I had given her LAMB some time ago, but there's a long list of books in front of it ... still).

So even if some of you were "happy" with the results of last Tuesday
(And that was only a WEEK ago tommorrow, it seems like a month since that bullshit happened).
... But if you know anyone who needs help looking past how stupid the electorate can be, print off the Post-Nov2 Blogs so that they might become functioning members of society again ... before they pack up and move to Canada.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:54 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing, Kurt.

I was up until 3:00 in the morning working on that piece. I'd post it, then see a mistake or something that needed to be tweaked, then edit it and post it again. I'm not very good at the essay form, so I'm sort of learning as I go along. I'm glad your pal found some solace in my silliness.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Brenda

Chris - I wanted to add my thanks as well  Reply with quote  

I've been sending your blog entries to my blue blue state friends and relatives. I know they've helped folks deal with their anger and despair. It's not easy to find humor in all this but your efforts mean a lot to us out here.

Brenda

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sara Leigh

Ditto on the thanks, CM. I'm gradually coming to terms with the whole election debacle. I have a couple of friends who, I learned from my ex, are seriously planning to sell their house and move to Canada. One of them, Emily, was at the book signing at Bailey's Crossroads, so maybe if I follow Kurt's and Brenda's lead I can help her look at the situation a little less desperately.

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

The best we can hope for  Reply with quote  

is a benign four years. Social security and education reform are dominant players right now. If we make him stick to domestic issues, there is a smaller chance of him blowing up somebody else's country.

Maybe he got the memo that world politics ARE NOT a gigantic game of Risk.

So I'm going to look at it like this . . . 4 years is a relatively short amount of time. Relatively. It sucks that he won, because I've worn shoes with higher IQ's, but at least dickface Ashcroft looks to be resigning. That's one of the evil empire down, and at this juncture, I'm willing to take the table scraps of optimism.

Silver lining and such, right? Right.

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gretchenfaith

here's to all things benign  Reply with quote  

Quote:
is a benign four years. Social security and education reform are dominant players right now. If we make him stick to domestic issues, there is a smaller chance of him blowing up somebody else's country.

I sincerely hope you are right, Hillary. I sincerely hope that he won't be able to screw up anything else too tremendously.

I am also holding on to a hope handed to me by my mother the other day, when she said, "hey, you look like your father did on the day Nixon was re-elected." I said, "I bet I feel about as awful as he did then." And she said, "well, look on the bright side, maybe they'll try to impeach this one too."

Have you noticed the right wing has begun eating their own? I am speaking of the attacks on Arlen Specter, who was merely making a statement of fact - it will be hard, without 60 GOP senators, to get an insane judge on the court. But, it's like they threatened to throw him to the wolves if he didn't start puppeting the party line. I like to think it's bad news for the GOP when they start attacking their own guys...

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
makani

CM, I echo the appreciation of others for your recent blogs. They've definitely been a help in coping with this insanity. I've been forwarding them on as well.

BTW, as a fellow Hawaii resident, isn't reinstatement of the Hawaiian nation looking better and better now?

Thanks again.

PS, you coming to Maui to tour for Stupidest Angel?

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lynn

Re: The best we can hope for  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:
Social security and education reform are dominant players right now. If we make him stick to domestic issues, there is a smaller chance of him blowing up somebody else's country.

Nice try, Hillary, and I hate to be a downer, but Bush's domestic policies are pretty sickening. I seem to remember wanting to cry after a vote in August and nearly killing a coworker over it. There's also this whole thing with abortion, not that Bush didn't make that an international issue of coat hangers and back alleys.

Sorry. I think I officially suck for being a downer. I think I need a little more time to look for a silver lining.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

makani wrote:
CM, I echo the appreciation of others for your recent blogs. They've definitely been a help in coping with this insanity. I've been forwarding them on as well.

BTW, as a fellow Hawaii resident, isn't reinstatement of the Hawaiian nation looking better and better now?

Thanks again.

PS, you coming to Maui to tour for Stupidest Angel?

Yeah, I thought of that. You think the Hawaiians would let us stay? I mean, I can handle a lot of stink eye to not be under the rule of the botard cowboy.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Katy O

But I still have my knickers in a twist about Supreme Court possibilities.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:40 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sara Leigh

Katy O wrote:
But I still have my knickers in a twist about Supreme Court possibilities.

The best thing we can do is let all the powers that be in Washington know that we won't stand for any uber-neocon justice appointments. In my case, that means telling the two butthead senators and the moronic president. Being a resident of the Blue Tumor on the head of Red Virginia, my voice doesn't hold much weight in the Senate. Fortunately, Moran was re-elected (I don't care all that much for Moran the man; it's his stance and work on the issues important to me that matter), so I still have a voice in the House.

I toyed with just doing the ostrich thing for the next four years, but I'm just too damned opinionated to do that for more than about a minute.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

Re: The best we can hope for  Reply with quote  

Lynn wrote:
Nice try, Hillary, and I hate to be a downer, but Bush's domestic policies are pretty sickening. I seem to remember wanting to cry after a vote in August and nearly killing a coworker over it. There's also this whole thing with abortion, not that Bush didn't make that an international issue of coat hangers and back alleys.

Sorry. I think I officially suck for being a downer. I think I need a little more time to look for a silver lining.

No, it's not a nice try. It's how I'm choosing - have chosen - to look at this. No nice try about it, because it's done.

I don't like anything about him, but if I can keep him putting money into Social Security and Education, and keep him away from Iran, gay marriage, and abortion, I'd be pretty happy. And that's MY silver lining. I'm tired of brooding over the election, because *everyone* is brooding over the election. It's understandable, but at this juncture, outside of moving to East Assface, I need to learn to deal. So I sorted it out in my head, and *this* is how I've come to terms with what I consider a very bad decision for our country.

I live in a very liberal state. Very. We hatched ol' Kerry, and we've okayed gay marriage. We're a pretty swinging place to be. That being said, they might as well pipe funeral dirge music into every store, home, and street corner. I can't live like this because I'm not that type of a person. I'm too positive. I did my mourning, and now I'm looking forward. I'm hoping that the democrats keep Bush from putting a nazi on the Supreme Court. For that matter, I'm looking down the barrel at Bush having not one, but potentially 3 Justice appointments, and I'm hoping to God, Yahweh, whatever-deity-might-be-listening-that-day that they don't roll over and give these seats away. SaraLeigh said it elsewhere, but she's right. Instead of mooning over something I can't change, I'm going to make my voice heard about this Supreme Court issue in hopes of changing THAT (that's what SaraLeigh said. Not the moving on part - the making our voices heard about the Surpeme Court part). I can't mourn something I've already lost any longer.

With that, I'm probably done with the political threads for a while. Negativity saps my energy, and unless I can contribute something constructive, I've said my piece.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John

Just remember everyone

Always look on the

bright side of life

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pebbles

Re: here's to all things benign  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:
..... If we make him stick to domestic issues, there is a smaller chance of him blowing up somebody else's country.

Not that I'm hoping that we blow up any more foreign countries, but I fail to see a silver lining in Bush sticking to domestic issues. Only the greater likelihood that he will do further (and potentially undoable-in-my-lifetime) heinous fuckery most foul right here in this country. Sad

Last edited by pebbles on Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Quote:
Not that I'm hoping that we blow up any more foreign countries, but I fail to see a silver lining in Bush sticking to domestic issues. Only the greater likelihood that he will do further (and potentially undoable-in-my-lifetime) most heinous fuckery to our own country.

I have to agree here. What we need to do is find a country that he can fuck up without doing much harm to it.

How about Tavula

The only problem is....

Quote:
party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Law of the Sea, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution
signed, but not ratified: none of the selected agreements

It may be to blue for him but with his help I am sure it can change.

Ta

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: